Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Matching system works bad for top players
02-02-2013, 02:25 PM
RE: Matching system works bad for top players
That's not how the system works!

How it works: For the first 2 days, it searches for people who are within your rating range.
After that, it immediately searches for all people. There is no gradual increase of the rating range. So you are just as likely to be matched up with a clever/fluffy after 2 days as you are to be matched up with burnodrod.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-03-2013, 07:04 AM
(02-02-2013 01:42 PM)poweewee Wrote:  Of course I'm not really complaining, since with this system, it is easier to hold on to #1, but of course I am more than willing to be challenged by these other top players Smile

All joking apart, isn't this a serious flaw? How is your hidden rating affected by beating someone of much lower hidden rating value? Does it increase marginally, stay the same? If the top players are consistently not being matched up with similar skilled opponents due to player inactivity, tournaments, friendlies etc. then isn't that a huge bias in their favour?

I know I'm not a "great" player but just enjoy playing this gem of a game so I still really love the position I'm in, which is flirting with the top 100, but will this make it harder for other top players to break into the top 10 say?

Everything Changes
02-03-2013, 12:34 PM (This post was last modified: 02-03-2013 12:47 PM by poweewee.)
Before the update, I would usually get around 5 points for beating a clever/fluffy. Since the new update, it rose up to about 10 points. Of course these are league points; I am not sure about the hidden ranking.

I think you could still break into the top 10, provided those in the lower half of the top 10 are active. I think another problem why I am not getting matched up with the other top players is because these players are not too active at the moment.
I just spoke with qwertiest on the clan forums, and it seems this has happened to him as well on the Master's league. I was thinking is it possible that there are less and less people playing league games? Could this also be an effect of the multitude of tournaments that are available to the players?
02-03-2013, 05:46 PM
I am currently not in any league games, because I'm busy with tournaments and clan games
02-03-2013, 07:05 PM
And because you're too important for just League games Tongue

02-03-2013, 07:24 PM (This post was last modified: 02-03-2013 07:33 PM by phineas94.)
(02-03-2013 12:34 PM)poweewee Wrote:  Could this also be an effect of the multitude of tournaments that are available to the players?

Tournament games are just "friendlies" aren't they? And as such don't impact on hidden rating. Is this right? If the top players, playing league games, are steadily maintaining/increasing their hidden rating by beating less skilled players perhaps the inclusion of a "Tournament Play" option, which gives you all the choices a "Friendly" affords, but where results affect the hidden rating could go some way to mixing things up a little better.

I've yet to enter the world of tournaments so don't know how this would be received but at least then the top 20 ( plucked from thin air) would get mixed up a little bit more and possibly bring about an increase in migration of players in the top 100??

Everything Changes
02-03-2013, 08:22 PM (This post was last modified: 02-03-2013 08:45 PM by terenceshiu2005.)
I had the same issue when I reached the top. Many of my games matched lower league players, some are unranked. After a period, I stopped to start a league game.

iPro Clan
02-03-2013, 08:57 PM
Just started 5 games all came up as P1 and all slots were taken in 2 hours giving me the #91 player # 123 player and an unranked master who has over 400 wins to their credit so I assume is no slouch.

(02-02-2013 02:25 PM)garcia1000 Wrote:  How it works: For the first 2 days, it searches for people who are within your rating range

Possibly this range needs to be increased for top players?

Everything Changes
02-03-2013, 10:55 PM
(02-03-2013 07:05 PM)Gfich Wrote:  And because you're too important for just League games Tongue

Hehe
02-04-2013, 04:43 AM
I always get matched against people a little bit stronger than me, around #100, but two days ago I've been matched against.. A clever. ^^ First time it ever happenned to me

You can ask a...
[Image: 6BmXQqC.jpg]
(drawing by Chemoeum)

[Image: sig.png]