Poll: Would You Pay for Detailed Statistics?
Definitely Yes
Maybe
Definitely No
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Pay for Detailed Statistics
02-01-2013, 06:17 AM (This post was last modified: 02-01-2013 06:19 AM by CombatEX.)
RE: Pay for Detailed Statistics
(02-01-2013 04:26 AM)RandyDogz Wrote:  Yup, I think I may have suggested this in the past as well, definitely think it'd be a great revenue source.

Not sure 'hidden' value should be disclosed, could lead to reverse engineering an open up possibility for abuse - but giving a ranking for non-top 200 players would be awesome!

Agreed.

(02-01-2013 06:04 AM)Go Time Wrote:  I'm happy to buy more stuff. But I don't want to know all my stats. Some will be bad and that's not encouraging.

Actually I'm more interested in my bad stats so I can see which matchups on which maps I should prioritize for practice in friendlies.

[Image: supertitanreplay.png]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-01-2013, 06:24 AM
(02-01-2013 05:42 AM)zoraster Wrote:  
(02-01-2013 05:24 AM)Dr.LASR Wrote:  Instead of hidden ELO rating, possibly you're current rank out of everyone who's played?

eh. I think that has pretty limited use. It'd be useful at the very top reaches of the game, but we already have Top 200 for that. But when you're #5623, how much better does that really place you than #7235 and how much worse than #3210? It could be a matter of one or two games or it could be way more. It might be more helpful if it put you as a percentile of the active playing population (i.e. population currently playing at least one game). But I don't really see a reason not to provide something like ELO, etc. But better total rank than nothing!

[Image: PJz1ITK.gif]
02-01-2013, 06:28 AM
If it is a stat on display during a game on the players profile page or some such then I am for rank showing and not the hidden rating, it is a much more immediate and satisfying stat. eg player A rank 4873 vs player B rank 5621. Player A wins and they see they've gone up 100 places, player B coversely drops 20. As opposed to Player A ELO 42.475 vs Player B ELO 52.12 player A wins and goes to ELO 42.5 etc.. Pretty quickly you'd get an idea of the distribution curve involved. Don't get me wrong, even as a top 200 player, I'd still be very interested in knowing my hidden rating and that of other players around me but for me rank first, hidden rating second
02-01-2013, 06:28 AM
both is fine with me, obviously.
02-01-2013, 11:04 AM (This post was last modified: 02-01-2013 11:05 AM by Ja Karta.)
If anyone here plays Tactics problems or games on ChessTempo ( http://chesstempo.com/chess-statistics.h...cticsStats ) how do you like the way they do it.

Basically a little line graph showing how your rating changes from time to time.
They use ELO, of course, but % ranking would be good to. (Raw ranking wouldn't convey a lot of useful info to most people.)

They then have additional stats about specific problems. Which could translate nicely to individual maps and races.

(I actually think nice graphs for each race and map would be ideal.)
It's also a lot of fun one some basic level to see that rating (ELO, %ranking, whatever skill correlate) slowly going up. Spiking and falling, but slowly rising. I actually think that would be even more satisfying for players than just league ranking. (Both because it's semi-objective and you see where you came from as well as where you are.)

Ja Karta: Master League Long Shadow division
w/Niloc 1308 & Buzz Killingtun: Master League Hidden Owl & Proud Turtle divisions
Happy to accept friendlies! (Could use the practice. ; )
02-01-2013, 11:08 AM
Sorry to be a negative nancy here, but I don't think this would work out. From a casual player point of view, statistics is a basic part of a game and should come free. I've never seen a game that requires a microtransaction for statistics. To a new player, it may seem as if OML is a greedy company and wants to charge for everything. (like zynga but less extreme)

But I'm not a casual outwitters player, and die hards like us on the forums will buy every little thing OML makes. The small population of people of forummers will be greatly pleased, but this will upset the casuals.

Member of the Ice clan!
[Image: 29xjgx5.png]
02-01-2013, 12:57 PM
Did the game save all of our info in the first place?

I hear there's a secret Mobi hidden here somewhere…
02-02-2013, 01:50 AM (This post was last modified: 02-02-2013 01:56 AM by zoraster.)
(02-01-2013 11:08 AM)2dhh Wrote:  Sorry to be a negative nancy here, but I don't think this would work out. From a casual player point of view, statistics is a basic part of a game and should come free. I've never seen a game that requires a microtransaction for statistics. To a new player, it may seem as if OML is a greedy company and wants to charge for everything. (like zynga but less extreme)

But I'm not a casual outwitters player, and die hards like us on the forums will buy every little thing OML makes. The small population of people of forummers will be greatly pleased, but this will upset the casuals.

We'd still have "wins" for free. Everything you see now would be free. But the more detailed statistics would not. Outwitters is such a complete game for free that I really doubt people will be pissed. There are no advertisements. There are no reminders that you should BUY BUY BUY. To me, it's always felt like OML has erred in the other direction. Ask yourself this question: will the annoyance of casual members (1) make fewer people spend money or (2) decrease the enjoyment of those already in the game? I'd answer no to each. Sure, maybe a casual member is annoyed (though I think this is doubtful, honestly), but so what? Is that really more likely to stick to free? I don't think so.

Quote:From http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2012/10/ou...-disaster/

“You can’t get more visible than that at launch,” says Adam Stewart, the artist and lead designer on Outwitters. Stewart says the two-man crew spent a year and a half and over $300,000 to make Outwitters. Apple’s promotions caused 560,000 players to download it. It’s also a critical smash.

There’s just one problem. Even after all that attention, Outwitters has been a total financial disaster. It’s only made about $40,000.

[...]

Where Outwitters screwed up is it didn’t give players enough opportunities to part with their cash. When it launched, Stewart said, the most money that any one user could spend was just four dollars.

The back-of-the-envelope math jibes with the results: 2 percent (paid users of an average game) of 560,000 (total users) is 11,200 people. If they spend $4 each, you get $44,800, or approximately what Outwitters has made so far.

Please don't begrudge companies trying to make money or you'll end up with fewer games in the future.

Quote:Did the game save all of our info in the first place?

Maybe not, but offering statistics from the start of Season 3, for example, would still be worthwhile.
02-02-2013, 02:51 AM
(02-01-2013 12:57 PM)TheGoldenGriffin Wrote:  Did the game save all of our info in the first place?

All old replay links still work, so I'd assume the data would be available.

Proud member of Anonymous clan
Master League 1x1, occasionally top 200
Master League 2x2 w Ryzuma
02-02-2013, 01:26 PM
If detailed statistics are made it would actually be preferable to be able to organize for certain time-frames. Like, stats only in each Season in addition to overall stats. Honestly, I wouldn't care so much about my overall stats compared to current season stats, but might as well have both.

[Image: supertitanreplay.png]