Poll: Which team's special's concept do you like the most?
Scallywags' Bombshell
Feedback's Scrambler
Adorables' Mobi
Veggienauts' Bramble
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Pro's and Con's of Each Team
01-29-2013, 11:56 AM (This post was last modified: 02-06-2013 03:48 AM by EkoFox.)
Pro's and Con's of Each Team
I've been trying to make a list of pros and cons for each team, but I'd like some help from higher ups and the community in general. Please share your ideas and also vote in the poll.

Please note:
The poll asks which concept you like the most, not which team. It's not, "Do you like Adorables or Scallywags?" it's, "Do you like teleporting units or having an AoE attack?"

Don't assume that one team is inherently better or worse because it has more pros or cons, it simply means the public has placed more focus on that team.

Scallywags:
Pro's:
High damage output.
Increases defensive ability.
Can lock down portions of the map.

Con's:
Restricts mobility.
Only useful a turn after being spawned.
Somewhat predictable.

Pro's:
Allows you to get very far ahead wit-wise.
Gives potential access to all other specials.
Creates a 'force field of death' around your base.
A Scrambler will force your opponent to play defensively.
The threat of a Scrambler can lock down a zone.

Con's:
Must be put in a vulnerable position to be effective.
No turtllng capability.
Almost certain to die after one or two uses.
The longer the game goes, the harder it becomes for a Scrambler to turn the game.

Adorables:
Pro's:
Extremely effective with hit-and-run tactics.
Uses can vary according to situation.
Gives an 'extended arm' of reach with your units.
Allows you to slowly gain a unit count advantage.
Can take full advantage of 2-Spawn Maps' spawn points.

Con's:
Spawning will immediately put you behind on unit count on one-spawn maps.
No attack capabilities.
Hard to rush with (Reaper being the exception).

Veggienauts:
Pro's:
Can spawn 3HP barriers very quickly and in large numbers.
Can scout easily.
Can harass wit spaces and spawn points.
Excellent map control.
Able to hide units.

Con's:
No attack capabilities.
Limited options for countering turtles.
Virtually no rush ability.
Mistakes are costly and dangerous.
You fall slowly behind in unit count.
Requires a large wit investment.

Proud Member of the Diamond League!
[Image: sig.png]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-29-2013, 12:07 PM
RE: Pro's and Con's of Each Team
I think it might be better to have an onlook of how each special affects the game - for example you say for Scallywags that they have a high damage output but more often or not the Bombshell is about controlling key points on the map and chipping away at the opponent. However Scallyways can be very predictable and the Bombshell is constly to move once in place.

With the Mobi I would say that it's the most versatile unit, while you get an 'extended arm' added to your arsenal with the Mobi being a combat unit with 4 range or an instant 3 damage from 7 hexes away, there's also the chipping away factor of hit and run especially with runners, which also leads to them being able to control games well. The major disadvantage that on it's own the Mobi lacks a lot of power - if the Adorables player has to put up with a lot of pressure early game when they have rushed a Mobi the lack of firepower is very noticable. This results in Adorables having the least rushable Special (We're not counting Reaper! Thats special Tongue)

The Scrambler is heavily control-based and doesn't have an immediate effect on your wit gain over your opponent. However small restrictions that are opposed on your opponent gain you small advantages even before you don't exchange blows e.g. forcing your opponent heavy to retreat, spawning a scrambler in response to your opponents runner killing your medic, gaining a considerable advantage. It also acts as a nice 'forcefield of death' around your spawnpoint and can turn games upside-down. The main weakness might seem to be the low hp, but it's probably it'c comparability to the other units you have access to; all the other specials are completely unique and perform a completely different task to the Scrambler but the Scrambler it'self can be compared to cheaper units, although of course with a lot more potential for good trades.

Veggies... Capture wit spaces easily, Same weakness as Mobi. I don't know too much ^^;

Top 200 peak ranking: #18 Super-Titan

I'm currently taking a competative break. Am up for friendlies and tournaments!

(06-09-2014 02:14 PM)Bbobb555 Wrote:  I looked it up, apparently a kendama is a yo-yo (!). How the heck do you have forums for yo-yos?
01-29-2013, 12:56 PM
Veggies:
Pros:
Excellent board influence and control (witspaces)
Ability to hide units

Cons:
Expensive similar to the bombshell
Usually behind in unit count
Mistakes are costly and deadly

GC: Great Wolf Sif
01-29-2013, 01:04 PM
I think I'm gonna switch to Veggies as my main, but I'll drop some support for Feedback here:

Like Necro said, Scramblers have a "forcefield of death" around your spawn, especially late game when the opponent has no idea where your wit count stands. When under attack, Scramblers are the only unit that can repel it right away. Bombshells need a turn to activate, Mobis are useless without other units, and Veggies can't kill anything directly or indirectly.

When both sides have a low amount of units (and no visibility), spawning a scrambler forces the opponent to play extremely defensive because an extra step means you stealing their unit.

Attacking with a Scrambler almost always means losing it immediately. However, if you don't lose it, your wit advantage starts skyrocketing. i.e. Scrambling an unboosted heavy costs you 0, makes opponent lose 4 wits, while you gain 4 wits; that's an 8 wit advantage, which instantly makes your scrambler worth it. When the opponent is turtling, sending in 2-3 scramblers at once can turn the tide of any game, since next turn they simply won't have the units to respond.

Cons-Scramblers are pathetically easy to kill, obviously. They are the riskiest unit to use, since in order to get them into a useful position, you need to risk one turn of vulnerability. If the opponent attacks first, they easily kill your scrambler hiding behind the walls. (Especialy true for bombshells).

If the opponent turtles for too long, even two scramblers can hardly make a dent in a long wall 2 soldiers thick. This creates the need for Feedback players to attack earlier, which then sometimes leads to rushed attacks that fail.

You think only Adorables use snipers on SFI?
01-29-2013, 01:31 PM
Thanks for all the great feedback, the poll should be up now, and I'll update the pro/con list. DaHsu, your example about the heavy was going to be one of my points from the beginning, but I cut it out to make an equal number of points to begin with Tongue.

01-29-2013, 02:15 PM (This post was last modified: 01-29-2013 02:16 PM by CombatEX.)
While it's true Feedback can scramble specials, that's really a side note, not a main pro. As for getting ahead wit-wise? Well, sure, if you scramble a unit that does help in terms of wits, but that's not really how I would describe the Feedback 'pro'. Mobi fits that description more since one of the primary roles is saving wits by cutting down movement. For Feedback, like with Scallywags, one of the main pros is zone control. Your opponent has to be careful about moving in range of your scrambler. I see necrocat basically covered this part though anyway.

[Image: supertitanreplay.png]
01-29-2013, 04:48 PM (This post was last modified: 01-29-2013 04:48 PM by EkoFox.)
(01-29-2013 02:15 PM)CombatEX Wrote:  While it's true Feedback can scramble specials, that's really a side note, not a main pro. As for getting ahead wit-wise? Well, sure, if you scramble a unit that does help in terms of wits, but that's not really how I would describe the Feedback 'pro'. Mobi fits that description more since one of the primary roles is saving wits by cutting down movement. For Feedback, like with Scallywags, one of the main pros is zone control. Your opponent has to be careful about moving in range of your scrambler. I see necrocat basically covered this part though anyway.
The goal of the list is to get all goods and bads, not just the main or important ones. The Scrambler can scramble a special, and that's a good thing, so it goes on the pro list.

01-29-2013, 11:18 PM
I can count the games on one hand where scrambling the special has been a majorly pivotal moment of a game Tongue It just doesn't happen often! (Mostly Bombshells though)

Also I was the one who gave the Heavy example ;D

I'm interested in the Bramble 'buff' having an unexpected 'nerf' as well along with it - Snipers being able to kill thorns for free. This will have a big impact on the Bramble play style.

Top 200 peak ranking: #18 Super-Titan

I'm currently taking a competative break. Am up for friendlies and tournaments!

(06-09-2014 02:14 PM)Bbobb555 Wrote:  I looked it up, apparently a kendama is a yo-yo (!). How the heck do you have forums for yo-yos?
01-30-2013, 01:10 AM
(01-29-2013 11:18 PM)Necrocat219 Wrote:  Also I was the one who gave the Heavy example ;D
Oh, sorry Tongue I was just sort of skimming, so I must have mixed your names up.

01-30-2013, 02:01 AM
Adorable's

Though spawning one Mobi puts Adorables one unit count behind, the hit n' run puts many unit counts advantage over the opponent. Because that allows Adorables player to kill opponent units without losing his own unit.