Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
01-30-2013, 09:48 AM
RE: Update!!
I like the idea of this system, however I think the update was too extreme. The difference between points gained and lost should just be a few points, if any. Otherwise it's just a competition of who is the most active. Please either do this, or just show the skill rating.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-30-2013, 03:26 PM
Isn't it possible that the low points being lost right now is because there aren't any big point differences between players?

(01-29-2013 10:57 AM)onealexleft Wrote:  Some interesting properties this change will bring about when facing similarly skilled players:
- Holding your #1 rank in your division will become more difficult. The reason being once you have a lot of points, you gain points more slowly due to being 'ahead of the pack' and you lose way more points for losses. Those at the bottom of the division with few points can gain points more quickly against those with more points than them.

I would take this to mean that if someone starts getting too much points simply by playing a lot of games and not actually winning most of them, he will eventually start loosing more and more points for each loss, which would make things even

(Disclaimer: it's late here so I might not completely lucid Tongue)

GC Name: s4mbita
Super-Titan
01-30-2013, 04:08 PM
(01-30-2013 03:26 PM)sambita Wrote:  Isn't it possible that the low points being lost right now is because there aren't any big point differences between players?

We didn't have exactly much data to fall back on in the short beta (which was mostly focused on bramble changes). I'd like to give it a week or two, and see where point deltas are going and assess from there. When over 50% of the player population has 0 points or close to it I expected a lot of 'rocketing' to occur initially until the system finds an equilibrium....hopefully. The tests I ran during development on samples from top/middle/bottom showed the behavior I was looking for, but we'll have to see it play out. Maybe I'll just end up wearing a dunce cap while fixing it when it utterly fails Angel.

If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe. - Carl Sagan
01-30-2013, 04:22 PM
Yeah probably it just needs some time since the starting point for the new system is the old one that treated the points way different.

Rising Star Tournament for Fluffy, Clever and Gifted players - FINAL ROUND started!
01-31-2013, 03:10 AM
I don't understand the change yet, but it seems better. I was losing interest fast the way it was. What I don't get is, we just beat Gurleyman and Krogoth (one of the 2 super titans, why we're not I'll never know) and we received 22 points while they lost only 1. Huh? Anyone understand that?
01-31-2013, 03:52 AM
It's too early to assess the new system accurately. We should just wait it out. However, the fact that we should wait before making a judgement on the system doesn't change my opinion on what I want the end product to be. That is, skill points, not activity points.

[Image: supertitanreplay.png]
01-31-2013, 04:07 AM
Serious question, alex: why not make the hidden ranking public? At the very least, you could make it public to those on the forums if not within the app itself. That way, you still allow casual people the sense that they're gaining points while still giving other people a way to judge their progress that's not tied entirely to what league they're in (assuming they're out of the top 200)