Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
OMC Evaluation Thread
01-27-2013, 12:41 AM
OMC Evaluation Thread
Although it's possible to rate maps on OMC, you can't comment on what you like and dislike. I think it would be good to have a thread in which maps can be commented on, evaluated and in which mapmakers offer advice to poor noobs like myself Tongue
I'll start with three of my own.
http://omc.harti.us/328/ - Invocation
http://omc.harti.us/333/ - Chains Of Command
http://omc.harti.us/334/ - Killing Corridor

Zakalwe42
Finally attained Gifted League we'll see how long that lasts.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-27-2013, 06:04 AM
RE: OMC Evaluation Thread
So - we have got general OMC topic, but I think it's good to make a topic only for comments of maps. To people reading it: please take a look on fanmade maps: to do it You don't need to make account, download anything etc. - You can just open it with Your browser on any device. To rate them, You too don't need anything special - just do one click/tap. And writing a little comment don't cost much of time, too.

Ok, well:

Invocation
- Good placement of units, bases, spawns and wit spaces (+1.5 star)
- Looks not bad (+0.5)
- P1 can hit P2 base using runner at turn 2 - P2 can't prevent it (-0.5)
- Too simple idea - only one passage, with is 3 hexes wide (-1)
Rate: 3.5

Chains Of Command
#It should be blue+green vs red+yellow, not b+r vs g+y
#Buffers aren't placed correctly (symmetrically)
- Games on this map need a bit of teamwork (+0.5)
- A good placement of wit spaces - it's possible to attack unit standing on it from two tiles (+0.5)
- All starting units are healers (-0.5)
- Good places for snipers near bases - it's more worth to camp (-0.5)
Rate: 3.0

Killing Corridor
#Correct strawberres - aren't symmetrical
- Map need a special strategy to play on (+1)
- Impossible to get any wit point at turn 1 (-0.5)
- Wit points are in snipers' range - everything weaker than 4hp die instantly (-0.5)
- It's easy to camp here - one unit between strawberries + sniper on the flank (-1)
Rate: 2.0

---

My maps: http://omc.harti.us/author/piko/
Especially need comments about Beach 341 - an attempt to make an assymetrial (but playable) map.
01-27-2013, 06:30 AM
Don't place wit spaces within 5 of each other. It favors FTA too much.
01-27-2013, 07:12 AM (This post was last modified: 01-27-2013 05:06 PM by KingOfThorns.)
Hmm, looks like they need more work... I'll correct CoC, and also Killing Corridor. Yeah, Invocation's really far too simple, but I'll look at them in the morning with a fresh head Smile
Okay, hopefully Chains of Command is somewhat improved - there's now soldiers as well to demonstrate how you're meant to play. I'm debating removing the links between the two sides too. Killing Corridor seems unsaveable D: but I changed Invocation a lot, made it more of a King-of-the-Hill type map! Thank you for the feedback, Piko Smile

FTA?

Zakalwe42
01-27-2013, 07:28 AM
First Turn Advantage Wink

01-27-2013, 08:18 AM
[Image: 335.png]

[Image: remur.gif]

Click it. You know you want to.
01-27-2013, 04:17 PM (This post was last modified: 01-27-2013 05:06 PM by KingOfThorns.)
Ahh, yeah. I can see that happening here Sad

I would've made this 2v2 maybe, but like the idea! It's a very interesting map, love your use of obstacles to split wit spaces up, but I think it'd be just too big. There's just too much going on for me to love it.

Zakalwe42
01-28-2013, 01:19 AM
Invocation; the central wit space is within 5 spaces of the spawn, meaning p1 can take 2 wit spaces on their first turn and p2 can only take one. P2 would be at a huge disadvantage.

Chains of Command: the central wit spaces again favor p1, they can move a soldier towards the wit space and p2 cannot counter. Five wits per turn just isn't enough, you should at leas give each player their own wit space so they have a chance of taking back the central wits space. Also, if p2 was on the same side as p1, p3 would also claim a wit space, and the match would be a blow out. Also, the opposite colored medics are pointless, and in general the map is clogged up too much. It is almost impossible to get through the middle passage, and it would be very prone to turtling.

Killing Corridor: this map is pretty much pointless. The snipers make it pretty much impossible to do anything, and p1 wins almost every time as follows:
Both players spawn runners to capture wit spaces:
P1 kills runner with sniper, spawns runner, moves one above wit space, out of range of sniper.. P2 does whatever. P1 moves runner to wit space, replaces with new runner. P2 cannot reclaim this wit space without getting killed by the sniper, and p1 can just keep spamming runners to maintain the wit space. Even if p2 responds with their own runner, the never get the wits from their wit space because p1 just takes it back. The only way the can maintain their wit space for even a turn is with a boosted heavy, and even that dies in a turn. Therefore, p2 needs to kill p1's sniper with a mobi, but they are still at a huge wit disadvantage, because p1 can also use a mobi to kill p2's sniper. That means you have to play mobi on this map, and p1 is generally at an insurmountable advantage.
01-28-2013, 02:15 AM
(01-28-2013 01:19 AM)harvarnold Wrote:  Invocation; the central wit space is within 5 spaces of the spawn, meaning p1 can take 2 wit spaces on their first turn and p2 can only take one. P2 would be at a huge disadvantage.

Chains of Command: the central wit spaces again favor p1, they can move a soldier towards the wit space and p2 cannot counter. Five wits per turn just isn't enough, you should at leas give each player their own wit space so they have a chance of taking back the central wits space. Also, if p2 was on the same side as p1, p3 would also claim a wit space, and the match would be a blow out. Also, the opposite colored medics are pointless, and in general the map is clogged up too much. It is almost impossible to get through the middle passage, and it would be very prone to turtling.

Killing Corridor: this map is pretty much pointless. The snipers make it pretty much impossible to do anything, and p1 wins almost every time as follows:
Both players spawn runners to capture wit spaces:
P1 kills runner with sniper, spawns runner, moves one above wit space, out of range of sniper.. P2 does whatever. P1 moves runner to wit space, replaces with new runner. P2 cannot reclaim this wit space without getting killed by the sniper, and p1 can just keep spamming runners to maintain the wit space. Even if p2 responds with their own runner, the never get the wits from their wit space because p1 just takes it back. The only way the can maintain their wit space for even a turn is with a boosted heavy, and even that dies in a turn. Therefore, p2 needs to kill p1's sniper with a mobi, but they are still at a huge wit disadvantage, because p1 can also use a mobi to kill p2's sniper. That means you have to play mobi on this map, and p1 is generally at an insurmountable advantage.
Oh dear. I seem to love FTA. Thank you for the feedback, I'm gonna have to revamp these maps a lot I see Blush

Zakalwe42
01-28-2013, 02:18 AM (This post was last modified: 01-28-2013 02:22 AM by KingOfThorns.)
I can see I need to revamp CoC and Invocation, more significantly CoC. I hoped the opposite-coloured medics would inspire cooperation and communication straight away, but you're right, it needs huge alteration. Killing Corridor I shall just flag "Fun". It's the most unsalvageable idea ever Big Grin

Okay, I hope that's fixed Invocation, at any rate.

Zakalwe42