Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do chess players have an advantage?
01-26-2013, 06:04 AM
RE: Do chess players have an advantage?
Yes, in both directions for the reason stated by GreatGonzales.

In Chess, you think carefully about probable sequences of moves based upon what your next move is. If I capture this pawn with my pawn, then he'll capture my pawn with his pawn, I'll capture that pawn with this other pawn, he'll capture my pawn with his bishop, I'll recapture with my bishop, and I come out ahead.

In Outwitters, you can kind of do something similar, but it's very different for a number of reasons.

Outwitters is not a game of perfect information. The fog of war prevents you from at all times knowing exactly what units your opponent has and where they are. This is not a part of standard Chess.

Outwitters allows you to spawn new units. Therefore, in addition to considering what units your opponent already has, you must attempt to anticipate what unit your opponent might spawn on the next turn. Chess has no unit spawning.

Outwitters allows multiple moves per turn based on how many wits you have to spend. So you have to think about how many wits your opponent has to spend. Can he pull off the perfect defense, or is he short one wit? In Chess, you move one piece each turn (two when castling, Tongue).

So Chess strategy doesn't translate exactly to Outwitters or vice versa, but obviously, there is some overlap, and being good at one will certainly not hurt your chances at the other.

[Image: 257k5t3.jpg][Image: 33mq0s8.jpg]
If you don't get my jokes, it's because of Postmodernism.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Do chess players have an advantage? - TheGreatErenan - 01-26-2013 06:04 AM