Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The higher the League the slower!
01-23-2013, 12:11 PM
RE: The higher the League the slower!
(01-23-2013 04:29 AM)Tenrabbits Wrote:  Yeah but that doesn't work as my slots fill up. So say I start twenty games and I'm winning in ten of them and losing in ten, then the ten I'm winning grind to a halt, whereas the losing ones I complete. So I've just lost ten in a row. I then start ten more, by the law of averages I'll lose some of them too, and more slots for the winning games will be used up. The end result is I can't play until some of the winning games are finished, as otherwise I'd keep losing over and over, and anyway the games I start will be against someone with a lower hidden rating (as I'm losing so much)!

In the paradox of Achilles and the Tortoise, Achilles is in a footrace with the tortoise. Achilles allows the tortoise a head start of 100 metres, for example. If we suppose that each racer starts running at some constant speed (one very fast and one very slow), then after some finite time, Achilles will have run 100 metres, bringing him to the tortoise's starting point. During this time, the tortoise has run a much shorter distance, say, 10 metres. It will then take Achilles some further time to run that distance, by which time the tortoise will have advanced farther; and then more time still to reach this third point, while the tortoise moves ahead. Thus, whenever Achilles reaches somewhere the tortoise has been, he still has farther to go. Therefore, because there are an infinite number of losses Tenrabbits must take as he starts new games, he can never win a single game.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: The higher the League the slower! - garcia1000 - 01-23-2013 12:11 PM