Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Interesting philosophical question :)
01-22-2013, 01:02 PM (This post was last modified: 01-22-2013 01:18 PM by brayton.)
RE: Interesting philosophical question :)
I would not push the fat man, unless i could assume things from him(such as i hear him on the phone, talking in a harrassng manner and seems like he is cold, not caring or swearing at people. In that case i would feel alot more inclined to push him if i could save others, since my morality says "if he doesnt appreciate life in that sense, the others are likely to appreciate it more so"). This only applies if i have 100% certainty about the #deaths number outcome, since if not i would surly hesitate.

With the lever, i am too far away to know ANYTHING about the men. I feel as if it is a more 'heroic' act to pull a lever and kill a man, saving 4 verses to push him to his death for the same outcome.
Lever seems more like saving, while pushing seems more like killing. i migh not even act for the lever, as i assume the men understand the risks involved.
I dont want to chose who lives or dies unless i atleast have aome info. But i wold pull the lever if i had the time to think it over.

As for whether the fat man fell on the tracks, or was pushed by someone else so that he was on the tracks, i would likely not risk myself to save him, when him being saved condems the others.

As for the raft issues, i would stay on the raft since i could never forgive myself. By staying with them, i am increasing they're chance of survival. we will all die, and even if i had something i wanted to do or say, effecting others life so severly would not allow me to do it.
If my last convosation with my dad was bad, and i hated him(or portrayed that) duringthe convosation, i would not leave the sinking raft, because if i live and tell my dad/wife/daughter whatever i want to say, i wouldnt be the same. Id have to hope/assume they'd think that of me, and if i returned, they know i didnt stay, fufilling my duty of helping the raft. I wouldnt be able to live the same, and others perception(of me) would be different.

As for the women with medicine problem, i wouldnt justify the theft unless there is no shortage of material. Stealing, which would mean that someone else cannot get treatment. I just wouldnt think its okay for someone to be luckyier in who they are born as, what choices they make, and then to steal from them. If someone whose grandfather had done something, and this wealth gave them just enough to buy the medicine, but have nothing left like you, your stealing from them. That just isnt right, they made sacrifices too, but are just luckier.

I would not push the fat man, unless i could assume things from him(such as i hear him on the phone, talking in a harrassng manner and seems like he is cold, not caring or swearing at people. In that case i would feel alot more inclined to push him if i could save others, since my morality says "if he doesnt appreciate life in that sense, the others are likely to appreciate it more so"). This only applies if i have 100% certainty about the #deaths number outcome, since if not i would surly hesitate.

With the lever, i am too far away to know ANYTHING about the men. I feel as if it is a more 'heroic' act to pull a lever and kill a man, saving 4 verses to push him to his death for the same outcome.

"not sure if last post posted, but i copier most of it. Damm forums
And thats why we need bumping.....

You guys are much smarter than me, but everyone seems fairly intelligent morally.

With the fat man, if i heard him on the phone, saying how he loves family members, and that he works for them, i wouldnt push him.

If he was on the tracts, well i, in no universe LIFT A FAT MAN.
Im just not that strong. Passiveness is alot easier to take when people will definatly die,
If the fat man was the president, i wouldnt care. They are a representative. Not a hero

Up for Friendliez! Gifted League GCID: braytos
[Image: sig.png]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Interesting philosophical question :) - brayton - 01-22-2013 01:02 PM