Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 1.33 Average
How to get 7 wits for the price of 1!
01-15-2013, 01:14 AM (This post was last modified: 01-15-2013 01:16 AM by Spikeywan.)
How to get 7 wits for the price of 1!
My friend and I have been playing since day one, and make a reasonable team. We had decided that we liked using The Adorables and were doing quite well with them.

However, all of a sudden in both our singles and doubles games, we've been taking an absolute hammering! I went from 3rd in the Gifted league to 100th in the Clever league so rapidly, I didn't know what had hit me!

During a recent hammering, we were both convinced that our opponents were cheating. We simply couldn't explain how they were getting so many wits!

My friend finally found the answer. We were getting thrashed by The Scallywags every time.

The problem is that you get an extra wit for every critter you kill. So if you have a Bombshell, which our opponents tended to have 2 of, you can potentially gain 7 wits at a cost of 1 wit if there are enough critters there to kill!!!

We have now decided that the only way forward is to start using The Scallywags ourselves in the short term, and hope that something is done about this ridiculous issue in a (hopefully very soon) update.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-15-2013, 01:21 AM
RE: How to get 7 wits for the price of 1!
Its only an issue if you have a bunch of runners clumped together. They are unlikely to be able to get that amount. They can only actually get 6 also because if there is a unit in front of the unit in the middle, you cannot shoot the middle unit.

Gifted League Gamecenter:Phyresis
OSN Profile
Wolfpack on OSN
WE ARE THE WOLFPACK!
01-15-2013, 01:45 AM
Also, the max you can get is 6. If there are 7 units in a hex shape, the bombshell can't target the middle unit.
01-15-2013, 03:58 AM
I never had that problem in 2v2, the only map where bs are annoying is Blitz Beach and the opponent has to be very skilled to manage it correctly ^^

You can ask a...
[Image: 6BmXQqC.jpg]
(drawing by Chemoeum)

[Image: sig.png]
01-15-2013, 09:09 AM
(01-15-2013 01:14 AM)Spikeywan Wrote:  My friend and I have been playing since day one, and make a reasonable team. We had decided that we liked using The Adorables and were doing quite well with them.

However, all of a sudden in both our singles and doubles games, we've been taking an absolute hammering! I went from 3rd in the Gifted league to 100th in the Clever league so rapidly, I didn't know what had hit me!

During a recent hammering, we were both convinced that our opponents were cheating. We simply couldn't explain how they were getting so many wits!

My friend finally found the answer. We were getting thrashed by The Scallywags every time.

The problem is that you get an extra wit for every critter you kill. So if you have a Bombshell, which our opponents tended to have 2 of, you can potentially gain 7 wits at a cost of 1 wit if there are enough critters there to kill!!!

We have now decided that the only way forward is to start using The Scallywags ourselves in the short term, and hope that something is done about this ridiculous issue in a (hopefully very soon) update.

This is something that has been address a lot. Many people thought it made the bombshell op. If this has been happening to you a lot you should revise your tactic, healing soldiers, less runners.
01-15-2013, 12:21 PM
If you look closer you'll find they're just saving. The bombshell has little to do with it. Having said that, it's usually good to have one team as Scallywags. Scally/Adorables is a great combo. Having mobile bombshells are nice.
01-15-2013, 02:15 PM
Has anyone actually pulled off a 1 shot 6 kill in a league game? Because you're either really stupid or really unlucky... admittedly, I still lose to bombshells most of the time, but it's a psycological thing that makes you flip out when you see them. If you look through the threads, many of them discuss how to beat bombshells... run a quick search, you won't be dissapointed.

You think only Adorables use snipers on SFI?
01-16-2013, 08:25 PM
(01-15-2013 02:15 PM)daHsu Wrote:  Has anyone actually pulled off a 1 shot 6 kill in a league game?

The max I killed with one shot was 4, but that was before the +1 wits rule was implemented.

Outwitters Allround Top 100 - https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?...6aFE#gid=2
02-03-2013, 12:23 AM (This post was last modified: 02-03-2013 12:26 AM by FeederTerror.)
(01-15-2013 12:21 PM)worldfamous Wrote:  If you look closer you'll find they're just saving. The bombshell has little to do with it. Having said that, it's usually good to have one team as Scallywags. Scally/Adorables is a great combo. Having mobile bombshells are nice.

I actually thought they were cheating to start with and when I recounted I confirmed that they did. But before going off on one about it I messed around with a Pass and Play game and realised my error that the BombShell gained extra wits when it was able to kill off more then one piece with a single shot. Obviously me and Spikey did not realise this before hand and were taking a beating because of it. We never had a scenario of getting 5 critters wiped out at a time but did happen with 3 pieces getting wiped out and we could not understand where they were getting the extra wits from.

So anyhow I just think that the Bombshell is overly powerful and needs redressing. The BombShell can do the following:

It can unshell, move and then reshell in one turn using 3 wits. Bit out of keeping with the other units in the game which can only perform two actions in a turn.

When you bombard an individual piece the other pieces who might be screened by that piece show up to the firing bombshell when they receive splash damage. Which by rights they should remain concealed from the enemy. Particularly bad if you are playing as feedback and are trying to wriggle a scrambler onto them. The bombshell player can then see exactly where the scrambler is lurking when it receives the splash damage.

Also you can use a bombshell to scan for enemy pieces lurking just beyond the edge of the bombshells vision. It shows where you will inflict splash damage despite that piece being in the fog of war. So the bombshell player can just scan first and see if anything is sneaking up on it and then move another piece into position to see what it is.

And obviously the gaining of extra wits when killing more then one piece at a time.

To make it more balanced I think it should only get the extra wit when it kills a piece with a direct hit and not for splash damage. It should loose the ability to scan within the fog of war and not show up the units behind a screen when they receive splash damage. The unshelling, moving and re shelling I can understand is offset by the fact that when it fires it can do nothing else.
02-03-2013, 05:08 AM
I am not trying to troll but if you think BS is so strong, why don't you use it?