Thread Rating:
  • 9 Vote(s) - 4.33 Average
Two Mans Left 2v2 Tournament (CHAMPIONS: HOLYSAB & PHARMAFAN!)
02-22-2014, 07:23 AM
RE: Two Mans Left 2v2 Tournament (13 MONTHS AND STILL GOING)
I believe not changing rules during tournament looks clean.
If we change matchmaking rules, why not open debate how to make it fairest as possible to both teams.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-27-2014, 08:33 AM (This post was last modified: 02-27-2014 08:34 AM by GreatGonzales.)
The FTA rule for the best of 3 matches is designed to keep things fair, but also to give an advantage to the higher seeded team to the extent that an advantage must be given. I appreciate the position of consistency in not wanting to change the tournament rules, but the game itself has changed in a way which directly impacts the FTA rule. I see this as distinct from Veggienauts being added, and new 2v2 maps, for while these changes did impact the tournament, they did not impact existing tournament rules in the way that the recent FTA fix has done.

Therefore: I rule that the higher seeded team shall now have "choice" of either first turn OR map selection for game 3.

It'll be GG when you're up against GG of GG.
02-27-2014, 09:03 AM
Sounds good, thx GG!
02-27-2014, 04:32 PM
I accept the changing rule. But I disagree. Because during a tournament rules should NEVER change. It happened also in World Cup tournament, and it makes it unfair. If game updates it affects all the players, but if rules change it benefits some of them and harm others. However, I wait the decision of krogoth300 & partner for the third game. Good luck
02-27-2014, 08:51 PM
I understand GreatGonzales ruling, since this tournament acknowledged that higher ranked team is given an advantage. Since that advantage was made significantly smaller by FTA fix…
rule change gives higher ranked advantage back.

There is possibility that team 2 might have an advantage on one or two maps. I do not know. But hanging on this arbitrary "ranking before top 200 list" right for advantage on best of 3 matches …

Rule changes during tournament do not look clean to me. But I am not challenging the ruling now made and in effect. Good matches everyone.
02-28-2014, 05:16 AM (This post was last modified: 02-28-2014 05:17 AM by GreatGonzales.)
Thanks for everyone's understanding. My ruling is final, but to offer some additional clarification on my thought process: the spirit of the best of 3 FTA rule was two-fold:

1. To mitigate a single team's advantage to the extent possible, and
2. To the extent that some advantage must be given, we defer to the higher seeded team

In the new state of the game, first turn advantage has been significantly reduced, which calls into question whether priority 2 is being achieved by the FTA rule. So, while the letter of the law has changed, the spirit remains the same. In that sense, the rule has remained consistent.

It'll be GG when you're up against GG of GG.
02-28-2014, 09:15 AM
(02-27-2014 04:32 PM)Paco bru Wrote:  I accept the changing rule. But I disagree. Because during a tournament rules should NEVER change. It happened also in World Cup tournament, and it makes it unfair. If game updates it affects all the players, but if rules change it benefits some of them and harm others. However, I wait the decision of krogoth300 & partner for the third game. Good luck

That's not true.

If the game changes mid-tournament, it makes good sense that some rules might have to be adapted.

And I don't understand your statement that if a game updates it affects all players but if a rule changes it benefits some players and harms others?

What if all of a sudden P2 was given 20 wits to start instead? This update gives a clear advantage to P2 players now and harms P1 players.
02-28-2014, 09:22 AM
(02-28-2014 09:15 AM)awpertunity Wrote:  What if all of a sudden P2 was given 20 wits to start instead? This update gives a clear advantage to P2 players now and harms P1 players.

Would be an interesting handicap.. I wonder how an P1 Super-Titan would do against a P2 Fluffy/Clever with that arrangement Smile

[Image: sig.png][Image: 2q2lq9y.jpg]
02-28-2014, 08:18 PM (This post was last modified: 02-28-2014 08:19 PM by Juslas.)
It has been excellent (but long) tournament. First 2 rounds we one match only and there was forfeits etc. but quick calculation revealed 9 matches won by team 2. Total of matches 48 (I did not check forfeits).
Third round was interesting - to my surprise round 3 does not support any FTA claims what so ever. But I am glad that we have statistics and mathematics to prove that one round from tournament is not meaningful, just very interesting. Only 3 teams with FTA won, underdogs beat three love on 4 matches (16-1, 9-8, 13-4, 18-2) and two to one in single game (43-6).
Fourt round was underdog domination!
Fift round was a tie and finally winners finale was FTA dominance, team 2 had no change at all against team 1 in any of the matches. Poor defense perhaps, but I rather give credit to excellent offense.
03-01-2014, 03:41 AM
Game 2 has already been finished in our new matches. Here is the replay!

outwitters://viewgame?id=ahRzfm91dHdpdHRlcnNnYW1lLWhyZHIVCxIIR2FtZVJvb20YgICAzKSx-QgM