Thread Rating:
  • 9 Vote(s) - 4.33 Average
Two Mans Left 2v2 Tournament (CHAMPIONS: HOLYSAB & PHARMAFAN!)
01-16-2013, 02:11 PM (This post was last modified: 01-16-2013 02:49 PM by GreatGonzales.)
RE: Two Mans Left 2v2 Tournament (Please begin your matches)
(01-16-2013 01:25 PM)ImperialSun Wrote:  Higher ranked teams already are more likely to get FTA due to the way matchmaking works. The rich get richer as a result. Why keep the same poor precedent in this tournament?

Hopefully Onemanleft just patches in an FTA fix for team games like they did for 1v1 so this won't be an issue...

I thought a lot about which team should get FTA. This is my reasoning. I want this tournament to be run smoothly and quickly, so I want matches to be best of 1. Higher ranked teams are more likely to be responsive, and thus the better candidates to initiate matches in a timely manner, but that is not an important factor.

Best of 1 means high FTA significance, so, who to give the advantage? I say the higher seeded team has more right to it than the lower seed because they have earned the advantage through their superior performance, which lead to their high seed. I think it's unfair to say that the "rich get richer", because that implies that there are two beneficial advantages unfairly bestowed upon them, namely 1. their easier draw, and 2. FTA. But item 1 is exactly what they deserve according to their seed, so this should not be considered in the calculation. In other words, it's not my job to give the lower seed an advantage on account of their more difficult draw. I will totally agree that giving high seed FTA is not fair. But I think it is slightly more fair than giving low seed FTA. My decision is a cost-benefit analysis in which I have attempted to maximize efficiency and fairness. The fact that the bracket is double elimination, and that matches become best of 3 in later rounds, also does a lot to mitigate this concern.
(01-16-2013 01:21 PM)alexjiang1 Wrote:  We just finished our first game. 1-0 us.

Wow, that was fast! Please give me the replay link. As a reminder, this the format I would like for reporting match results:

[Team taking first turn]
[Team taking second turn]
[Map name]
[Winning team]
[Replay link]
(01-16-2013 01:53 PM)liner15 Wrote:  Jakeyboy20 and I are supposed to play schishoe/immad. Schishoe's game list is full and immad's username must be incorrect because it says player cannot be found. Help?

I was worried about them. They were one of the few teams which I could not confirm using the OSN. Interestingly, immad does show up on the OSN (though no 2v2 team is listed, which is suspicious)...perhaps he deactivated his Outwitters account? In any case - give it a few days, keep trying to start a game with schishoe, I will PM him to see if I can figure out what the deal is. If you cannot start your match with them, then your opponents will be [ IIXIII ]/* LI3N *.

I have made the seeding spreadsheet available in the OP. Please note: the league, league points, and division rank that you provided when you registered may differ from the values you see in this spreadsheet. This is because I took values from the Outwitters Sports Network, which provides aggregated leaderboard data. The OSN's data was last updated on 1/14. This way, all player data was captured at the same moment in time, maximizing fairness of seeding. There were a few teams who could not be verified using the OSN; for these cases, I used the values provided upon registration.

It'll be GG when you're up against GG of GG.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Two Mans Left 2v2 Tournament (Please begin your matches) - GreatGonzales - 01-16-2013 02:11 PM