Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Game Center Achievements
01-06-2013, 12:18 PM
RE: Game Center Achievements
Not too shabby: reach gifted league
You're like Obi Wan Kenobi: reach master league
I'm speechless: reach super-Titan league!

I was kinda suprised nobody brought these up as I feel these should definitly be achievements. That's one of the game goals: reach super-Titan.

College Basketball Tournament for Outwitters!

They call me the weed cutter, the cutie killer, the machine masher, the pirate pulverizer.

Outwitters Name: Coolio - da best
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-06-2013, 03:42 PM
(01-06-2013 12:18 PM)Coolio Wrote:  Not too shabby: reach gifted league
You're like Obi Wan Kenobi: reach master league
I'm speechless: reach super-Titan league!

I was kinda suprised nobody brought these up as I feel these should definitly be achievements. That's one of the game goals: reach super-Titan.

Here's a post from the beta (hope Alex doesn't mind me posting it here)
onealexleft Wrote:We've been careful to try to not pose leagues as "achievements". That's not their intent, although the players that seek out to improve themselves will definitely strive for higher leagues (this is encouraged), but we don't want that motivation to come from a strong external influence (for example, achievements).

Also with the way leagues work, some people simply won't have what it takes to reach X league. And the expectation of achievements is you can (with decent time) get them all. This would ruin a completionist's day.
01-06-2013, 08:13 PM (This post was last modified: 01-06-2013 09:01 PM by Mag!cGuy.)
I totally agree with Alex. An achievement has to be achievable. "Be promoted" is way fairer, cuz even if it's not that easy everyone can do it.
And that's why all these crasy achievements don't really pleas me (except some which would worth 50 points Tongue ), because they're too random, even if the ideas are freakin' awesome.
I'll put a detailled list, maybe with the amount of points earned for each (xthat would make 1000 points in total) as soon as possible, but with school starting tomorrow it will be a bit long. ^^ i'll implement 2 or 3 hella crazy achievements, and the rest will be more.. Gentle. Big Grin

But, wait, you all quote post from the beta area. That means alex already talked about achievements. So why there is not any one yet?

You can ask a...
[Image: 6BmXQqC.jpg]
(drawing by Chemoeum)

[Image: sig.png]
01-07-2013, 01:22 AM
(01-06-2013 05:20 AM)Phyresis Wrote:  
(01-06-2013 12:49 AM)TheQwertiest Wrote:  beyond godlike: defeat a wit hacker. (someone already unlocked this)

WOOO IM BEYOND GODLIKE!

haha. your replay was awesome! Big Grin

[Image: 9d7f96a4e69f9e49b3bcb2a9b2aa3267_zpsffc0a44c.jpg]
Anonymous Clan
GC: Pastil*
01-07-2013, 01:50 AM
Ok I guess that makes sense quantum.

They call me the weed cutter, the cutie killer, the machine masher, the pirate pulverizer.

01-07-2013, 02:11 AM
Pro Saving
Save up 16 wits in order to use them all in one turn in a League game.

Thinking with Portals
Teleport the same unit twice in the same turn.

Sonic Boom
Win 15 League games within 15 turns.

The Boss
Show your opponent who's boss.
Win by spawn overtake

Hole in Your Pocket
Spend 5000 wits total.

Wit Addict
Spend way too much time on the game.
Take 100 turns within 12 hours.

Massacre
Kill 10 units within 5 turns in one League game.

Cold wits
Keep your calm, no matter what.
Don't attack any unit up to turn 20 in a League game.

Our Pity
Lose a League game in 10 turns.

01-07-2013, 02:37 AM
(01-07-2013 02:11 AM)Gfich Wrote:  Sonic Boom
Win 15 League games within 15 turns.

Should be 20 games in 20 turns because sonic boom does 20 damage no matter what in Pokemon. Big Grin

01-07-2013, 02:46 AM
No, winning in 20 turns is easy, it has to be a challenge.

That said, it was supposed to be a SSBB reference, but i now realised that the magic number there was also 20...

01-07-2013, 05:42 AM
These ones are better gfich, well done Big Grin

You can ask a...
[Image: 6BmXQqC.jpg]
(drawing by Chemoeum)

[Image: sig.png]
01-07-2013, 10:06 AM
The topic of achievements came up during beta and to put it in a tl;dr fashion before a wall of text: in a 1P game, I'm all for achievements, I love collecting them for the sake of collecting them and am proud of myself while doing so but in a 2P competitive game I am not convinced that achievements are a good idea.

To summarize my lengthy train of thought from the beta forums:
  1. Achievements would need to be limited to league games to be of any value (i. e. not cheese-able by playing against a friend or yourself).
  2. Achievements modify behavior by shifting priorities. As it stands right now, winning a game is your only objective - but once there are 30 achievements to strife for, you have a lot of side-goals. Build more Medics than you usually would for that achievement or do some move that is clearly disadvantageous but you really want that achievement.
  3. Most importantly, achievements in 2P competitive games leads to griefing and frustration. Many ideas which have already been mentioned and many that will probably come up after my post fall into one of two categories:
    1. Grind Achievements - build X of a unit or destroy Y or a unit. Win Z games or conquer ∑ Wit Spaces.
    2. Extraordinary Situation Achievements - heal a Heavy with 1 HP and kill another unit with that same Heavy in one turn. Scramble a unit with a scrambled Scrambler. Destroy all enemy units except Medics and then block their Spawn Spaces.
    Both of these types of achievements would lead me (as an achievement-collector) to the following moral conundrum:
    I have practically won this game, but I can use it to either boost my progress on these grind achievements or to do some of these only-going-to-happen-once-every-hundred-games achievements. All the while my opponent is twiddling his thumbs. He knows the game is over. If I go ahead and drag the game on for my own purposes I am diminishing my opponents enjoyment and if my opponent forfeits the game, I'm frustrated because I missed an opportunity to work on my achievements.
    And given that there is a chat you can bet that some games will eventually start with "hi, would you mind if we did achievement X before starting the game in earnest?" or flat out achievement grinding games.

In conclusion: in my opinion (and I'm ready to be convinced otherwise) achievements would not add any enjoyment to Outwitters (or any other 2P competitive game for that matter) but lead to frustration and generally bad behavior.

I am in no way affiliated with or authorized by One Man Left Studios, LLC.
Any information on Outwitters I present is founded on personal experience, public knowledge or the Outwitters Beta Test.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user