Quote this message in a reply
01-05-2013, 09:27 AM
RE: The Outwitters Uber Cup!
Oh thank you guys and yes it is in it it is called Outwitters super arena Smile
Find all posts by this user
01-05-2013, 09:23 PM
(01-05-2013 08:11 AM)Coolio Wrote:  I was trying to think of one example....so the bball tournament has 136 members so
P-factor = 137
Lets say they come in first

(137-1)^2 / 137^2 * k factor

And is ^2 to the second power?
Well, the thing is, the P-factor should be approaching the amount of people awarded, not the total amount of competitors. Say, in your example, the top 32 get points. #32 will get 26.94 points, but #33 will get 0...
(01-05-2013 08:15 AM)awpertunity Wrote:  
(01-05-2013 05:14 AM)Gfich Wrote:  
  1. Tournaments must be played individually; no teamstuffs.
    • Tournaments that you play in 2v2 with a fixed partner ARE able to be included.

Huh? You mean ARE NOT?

Also I feel like the 2v2 random tourney should not be included in this... It is such a different tournament and seems weird to compare results of this with standard 1v1 tourneys.
Well, i actually meant that. Say that in the next 2v2 tournament wouldfamous/DieMFDie win, they will both get the points for 1st place, but be listed individually in the leaderboard.
(01-05-2013 08:40 AM)GreatGonzales Wrote:  Gfich I like your formula but I don't think you should be subtracting 1 from position, otherwise you could get 0 if you come in 1st place. Why not this:

Score = ((P+1-Position)^2)/P^2)*K

Notice the minus in front of the parentheses in the original formula. This formula would be the exact same, except without the parentheses.

01-06-2013, 12:10 AM
Alright, if you can take a look at my spreadsheet, I'm struggling with the formulas. The formula i wanna use is on the left of the second tab, whereas A indicates the P-factor, on row 41, K is the K-factor, on row 39, and # is the end position, indicated to the left of the name. However, everytime i try to enter the formula with cell references, it errors out Sad

01-06-2013, 12:56 AM (This post was last modified: 01-06-2013 05:27 AM by GreatGonzales.)
Gfich, I can help you with your spreadsheet troubles. Also I agree with P factor being the number of people getting awarded points in a given tournament, that makes things more balanced, and you can rely on the K factor to adjust the strength of each tournament. I would stick with giving points to the top 25% finishers in tournaments.

EDIT: on second thought, I think I agree with your 50% threshold that you seem to be using. Gets more people involved which is cool, and their score will be adjusted according to place anyway.
01-06-2013, 06:19 AM
So, i've got my spreadsheet working, apparently squares are bugged, and i had to remove them.

That said, I've assigned K-factors to all tournaments currently running/finshed:

1st 1v1 tourney: 20
1st 2v2 tourney: 14
World Cup: 45
College b-ball: 30
2v2r open: 24
OWSA: 22
Melodramatic Mini Mobi Tourney: 6

Now, when multiple people tie on a certain tourney, the average of the places they cover is taken, then rounded up (ex. In the 1st 1v1, places 5-8 tie, their average is 6.5, rounded up gives 7). I made an exception when there is a tie on bronze, and kept that a tie on bronze.

01-06-2013, 07:11 AM (This post was last modified: 01-06-2013 07:15 AM by GreatGonzales.)
(01-05-2013 08:15 AM)awpertunity Wrote:  Huh? You mean ARE NOT?

Also I feel like the 2v2 random tourney should not be included in this... It is such a different tournament and seems weird to compare results of this with standard 1v1 tourneys.

I think awpertunity raises a good point about mixing 1v1 tournaments and 2v2 tournaments. A) because the skillset is different, and B) because the dedicated players tend to be somewhat different. It may make sense to categorize tournaments as either 1v1 or 2v2, and give distinct scores for each. You could still also give a total score which is the sum of the two scores, but I think I agree that they should be separate. The one anomaly is the 2v2 random open, but I would still call that a 2v2 tournament.
(01-06-2013 06:19 AM)Gfich Wrote:  Now, when multiple people tie on a certain tourney, the average of the places they cover is taken, then rounded up (ex. In the 1st 1v1, places 5-8 tie, their average is 6.5, rounded up gives 7). I made an exception when there is a tie on bronze, and kept that a tie on bronze.

Ok, I was wondering about this. Makes sense.

Quote:1st 1v1 tourney: 20
1st 2v2 tourney: 14
World Cup: 45
College b-ball: 30
2v2r open: 24
OWSA: 22
Melodramatic Mini Mobi Tourney: 6

How did you come up with these values? I think it's important that we come up with a system that can be replicated going forward, so we stay consistent. Just glancing at this, the 1st 2v2 tournament seems high (only 8 participants), and OWSA seems low?
01-06-2013, 12:01 PM
Mate how many super titans are participating and games needed to win should be factors in determining the strength of a tourney.

College Basketball Tournament for Outwitters!

They call me the weed cutter, the cutie killer, the machine masher, the pirate pulverizer.

Outwitters Name: Coolio - da best
01-06-2013, 09:21 PM
I have to agree that the values are a bit arbitrary. Even though, OWSA doesn't seem that low in my opinion. Perhaps lower the first two tourneys to 16 and 9?

01-16-2013, 05:13 AM
UPDATED SPREADSHEET:

*Seperated 2v2, as suggested by GreatGonzales, the main leaderboard will still combine everything.
*Added TML and WWC on the leaderboard, still need to determine K-factors.
*Added current ranks decided on the World Cup on the leaderboard. GreatGonzales is in the lead, but not for long...