Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
[Winner - TheGreatErenan!] Micro strategic starting unit tournament
01-03-2013, 07:23 PM (This post was last modified: 01-17-2013 10:17 PM by Lrimas.)
[Winner - TheGreatErenan!] Micro strategic starting unit tournament
Since the new season in Outwitters started, I've been left feeling slightly bored with it. That's when I decided to try something different, and the idea of the "strategic starting unit league" was born.

The first rule of the tournament is:
You are not allowed to build any units. You have to finish the game using only the starting units.

I have no idea if this will work, which is why I am going to keep the tournament as small as possible. 6-8 people max. This also has the advantage that everyone will be in the top 10 Smile

Rules
  1. If you build a unit, you lose the game unless your opponent agrees to a rematch. I'd like people to be considerate for how easy it can be to break this rule, but I don't want someone to abuse an automatic rematch by building a unit on a game they were about to lose.
  2. Any league rank is welcome. I'm fairly inactive, so it will be easy for me to remember that I'm not allowed to build units, but if you are playing a lot of friendly games it will be more difficult. Keep this in mind before signing up
  3. Everyone will play everyone else twice. Once as p1 and once as p2. This is to try to negate the advantage p1 might have.
  4. Try to remind your opponent each round that they are not allowed to build units. This might get repetitive, but it should help.
  5. Tournament to start on 10 January if we have a enough signups.
I'm still unsure what to do for maps. Right now I'm thinking of having the same map for each game (something like Long Nine that has a lot of starting units), to make things more fair and to make it easier to distinguish between these games and normal games, but I'm worried that will get boring. Any thoughts/suggestions are welcome.

I would also like to apologise in advance to Gfich for creating another tournament Smile. As you can see from the rules this will not be one for normal tournament players.

Players
  • TheGreatErenan
  • Lrimas
  • !_elle_!
  • lugia77781
  • jakeyboy20
  • harvarnold

Results
Results are here

Final Standings
  1. TheGreatErenan
  2. jakeyboy20
  3. Lrimas
  4. lugia77781
  5. !_elle_! & harvarnold
Find all posts by this user
01-04-2013, 12:52 AM
RE: Micro strategic starting unit tournament
!_elle_!
Clever 10

Clever League!_elle_!Clever League
01-04-2013, 02:16 AM
You don't have to applogize, anyone can create a tournament, doesn't matter if he's not happy. Wink

I'm not in anyway, I think the battles won't be rly interesting. I may be wrong ^^

You can ask a...
[Image: 6BmXQqC.jpg]
(drawing by Chemoeum)

[Image: sig.png]
01-04-2013, 02:26 AM
(01-04-2013 02:16 AM)W1cked21 Wrote:  I'm not in anyway, I think the battles won't be rly interesting. I may be wrong ^^

You could be very correct that it's going to be boring, which is why I am keeping it very small. It's more an experiment than anything else. I'll let you know if you are wrong though, and you can join the next one Big Grin
01-04-2013, 02:38 AM
Have you at least played 1 friendly to see if it would work? I'm guessing there would be a huge P1 advantage. The first attacker will likely win.

I do like the idea of constraining the normal game rules to create a different game that needs new strategies. Maybe only spawn a specific type of unit? Only specials would probably be quite interesting. But, some reasonable testing with 2-3 players should be done first, don't you think?
01-04-2013, 02:49 AM
Perhaps allow 1 special spawn.

O, wait, that'll break Reaper...

01-04-2013, 03:08 AM
I was intrigued by this, but yes, I suppose P1 will have a big advantage. The extra wits that P2 has cannot be used effectively.

Anyway, I agree that tournaments like this are pretty interesting. Something like a "Spawn ONLY Runners" tournament, or "Snipers only". Smile
01-04-2013, 03:16 AM
I'm in, though I really don't know how this is going to go!

GameCenter ID: TheGreatErenan
Gifted League

[Image: 257k5t3.jpg][Image: 33mq0s8.jpg]
If you don't get my jokes, it's because of Postmodernism.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-04-2013, 03:26 AM (This post was last modified: 01-04-2013 03:51 AM by TheQwertiest.)
i think this is interesting. anyone want to try this out? send me an invite Big Grin expired. Tongue
(the offer expires 20mins from the time this was posted. its on the uppermost left of this post.)

[Image: 9d7f96a4e69f9e49b3bcb2a9b2aa3267_zpsffc0a44c.jpg]
Anonymous Clan
GC: Pastil*
01-04-2013, 03:30 AM (This post was last modified: 01-04-2013 03:41 AM by Lrimas.)
(01-04-2013 02:38 AM)Thrutchy Wrote:  Have you at least played 1 friendly to see if it would work? I'm guessing there would be a huge P1 advantage. The first attacker will likely win.

I do like the idea of constraining the normal game rules to create a different game that needs new strategies. Maybe only spawn a specific type of unit? Only specials would probably be quite interesting. But, some reasonable testing with 2-3 players should be done first, don't you think?

I have tried a friendly and a few "pass n play" games. P1 didn't have as much of an advantage as I thought they would - but that could just be down to stupid mistakes.

The special idea is a good one, but it ended up with both the bases surrounded by bombshells, and neither willing to attack. Maybe if we ban scallies?

Another idea was that you are only allowed to build one of each unit, but that was impossible to keep track of, even when playing against myself.

I'm happy to make it even smaller - 4 people?

(01-04-2013 03:08 AM)poweewee Wrote:  Anyway, I agree that tournaments like this are pretty interesting. Something like a "Spawn ONLY Runners" tournament, or "Snipers only". Smile

I wish I thought about this - sound more interesting. Would you like to try a "runners only" game?
Thread Closed