Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
Which league are YOU in?
07-08-2012, 08:12 AM
RE: Which league are YOU in?
(07-08-2012 05:13 AM)ArtNJ Wrote:  Interesting, I didnt realize that the points carry over when you get promoted. That actually seems an odd choice, as it really rewards people that start out badly under-ranked.

Hopefully it will even out in the long run.

Oh, I assumed OML would implement a system like SC2 whereupon promotion your points go down to current season cumulative bonus pool + 73. That probably sounds like nonsense to some of you, so what it basically means is when you're promoted your points reset to some low number. If Outwitters used SC2's bonus pool system, after 2 days (or so since the game went live) this would mean Harti would have been reset to around 100 points after being promoted from Gifted to Masters.

I actually hope that OML implements a bonus pool system in addition to seasons sometime in the future to both weed out inactive players and also make point inflation less of an issue. Yes, if you play a ton and are a great player, even with bonus pool your points will still skyrocket, but it would at least help good players who don't play as much still be able to catch up to some extent.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-08-2012, 09:34 AM
Anyone have an idea of the background system to get to the next league?

I am in Clever, getting matched with Master and Gifted leaguers, beating Gifted's consistently and losing from dumb mistakes to Master's.

But still in Clever.
07-08-2012, 09:39 AM
Just wait. If you keep beating Gifted players without losing to too many Clever players you'll get promoted eventually.
07-08-2012, 09:45 AM (This post was last modified: 07-08-2012 09:47 AM by ArtNJ.)
(07-08-2012 09:39 AM)Szei Wrote:  Just wait. If you keep beating Gifted players without losing to too many Clever players you'll get promoted eventually.

Not unless you define "eventually" to mean the same thing as "in a very very long time". I'm 30-1 in clever (overall record), having beat many gifteds and a few masters. I have 2 wins from beta that someone how count, and I'm not sure how many losses from beta, say 2 or 3. So it could be looking at me as 32-4.

Alex said that he would look at it once the fires are put out. Its supposed to be slow, but I dont think its supposed to be this slow.

I'll probably play another 10 tomorrow, so we'll see what happens.
07-08-2012, 10:45 AM
Eventually encompasses "in a very very long time". The system may not be perfect as it is (maybe it needs to be tweaked for faster promotions), but promotions do work regardless so at some point if you keep beating better players you WILL get promoted.
07-08-2012, 11:48 AM
Just to update, I got promoted at 34-1. 36-3 or 36-4 counting beta record post reset (for some reason, that seems to have been counted).

I assume this will be tweaked a little to make it easier.
07-08-2012, 12:01 PM
Yea it should definitely be easier than that when you're first starting. I believe in Starcraft there is a hidden value which denotes your consistency. So if you're just starting the game it's much easier to get promoted since the game isn't as sure of your level. As you settle in a league and hover around the same hidden level rating (or MMR if you're familiar with starcraft) then it will be harder to get promoted of demoted since the system is more sure of your rank. A 10 win streak when you been sitting in diamond league for the past 200 games and have around a 50/50 win/loss against other diamonds will probably not get you promoted whereas a 10 win streak after you 5-0 your placements into diamond is much more likely to earn you a promotion.

I wonder if this same consistency factor is in OML's system. If so it seems it should be tweaked somewhat. 36-4 off a clean slate should earn a promotion much faster.
07-08-2012, 12:04 PM
Don't know b/c my opponents are playing me back!
07-08-2012, 01:38 PM
I was placed into Gifted #23 but after losing one match and then winning the next three, I was promoted to Master. Sadly, I'm about to lose a match so probably about to demoted. Sad
07-08-2012, 02:51 PM (This post was last modified: 07-08-2012 02:56 PM by shadysmurf.)
(07-08-2012 11:48 AM)ArtNJ Wrote:  Just to update, I got promoted at 34-1. 36-3 or 36-4 counting beta record post reset (for some reason, that seems to have been counted).

I assume this will be tweaked a little to make it easier.

Grats on your promotion, was watching your score compared to the rest of us and it was getting ridiculous. You leaving put me in a solid 3rd, close to 2nd Big Grin.
(07-08-2012 12:01 PM)Szei Wrote:  I wonder if this same consistency factor is in OML's system. If so it seems it should be tweaked somewhat. 36-4 off a clean slate should earn a promotion much faster.

Can we check losses anywhere that I am missing? If not, would be nice to add that to the requested feature list. I'm at 38 wins and about 8 losses, was four places below ArtNJ in Clever when he got promoted out.