Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Turn timer
12-31-2012, 05:15 AM
Wink Turn timer
Hey guys, I just wanted to post about the need for a turn timer. Just from quickly browsing this forum I've seen other posts about it, but I wanted to create a new post to emphasize the importance!

First off, this is a great game. I've only played it a little bit so far, but it is really well thought out and the design is also awesome. Great job devs.

That being said, I think the game has a major flaw by not having a turn timer. As a new player I'm trying to get into the game, but it is very hard when it takes up to 2 days between each turn in each game. Players stop responding and its hard to be engaged in the game if I'm only doing one turn every 2 days. It's craziness.

I'm hoping this doesn't happen in higher ranking levels and that players are responsive, but so far I've maxed out my 5 max games and the players aren't responding anymore .... Most likely because they are about to lose.

I would like to pay for the upgrades and to play more games at a time, but its hard for me to justify paying if it seems like this is the trend of playing unresponsive players.

I could just quit the games and start new ones but then I'd get defeats on my record when I shouldn't have.

I personally think the timer should be 5-10 minutes before the player has to respond back ... Have rapid playing going on ... Or even at the latest 30 mins to 1 hr timer between moves (which I think is pushing it too long).

I guarantee that a lot of new players are having this same experience while being introduced to the game. Most likely the other players that haven't been responsive have just given up playing the game because they are newbies as well. So now I have to wait until the games expire before I can play again ... As a person trying to get into the game, this makes it very difficult and annoying.

From a development perspective I can't imagine adding a timer would be that difficult of a coding task to do. Create a counter then player x who waits past the timer threshold loses.

Or, if you're really dead set on not having a timer for higher leagues, then simply have a timer of shorter time spans for the low leagues, and then for the more advanced leagues extend the timer threshold.

I don't know ... And maybe this question has already been denied or shut down in other threads ... But I'm just frustrated because I really want to support this game and pay for the packs and extend the number of games, but i just can't justify it without a timer added to the game.

Pls add timers and then you'll have another paying customer ... Keep up the awesome development ...

Cheers ...
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-31-2012, 05:31 AM (This post was last modified: 12-31-2012 05:32 AM by GoHeat 3.)
RE: Turn timer
Personally, I think turn timers would be nice, but you have to realize that not everyone has the time to be basically playing constantly until the game is over. It think it would be best fit for friendly games and not League games!

GC: GoHeat3
Super-Titan

[Image: sig.png]
12-31-2012, 05:32 AM
There already is a timer-if you don't move for 4 days, you lose. Any shorter of a timer, and sometimes it would be unfair for some player who unexpectedly takes a break and still has games going (vacation, lost phone, etc.)
Upon starting this game, you might be tempted to juggle 20 games at a time, and it's really fun for awhile. But believe me, for most people it's hard to enjoy that many games at once, since it starts getting really repetitive (I've bought the 35 games upgrade, but I almost never go over 20).
As a nonpaying member, 5 games really isn't very much, but it costs lotsa money for OML to host your games for you. If you want to support the game, but something and raise your game limit! It looks like you're willing to pay, and 20 games is going to be more than you want, trust me.

You think only Adorables use snipers on SFI?
12-31-2012, 05:55 AM
10 to 15 minutes and even an hour would be way too short. I mean I've gotta sleep and I have a life Big Grin

1v1: Gifted League
2v2 #140 with liner15
May the ninja frog be with you....
12-31-2012, 05:57 AM (This post was last modified: 12-31-2012 06:06 AM by Neonitron.)
Maybe the answer is to have a shorter time limit between turns for newbs playing league games to get properly introduced to the game ....

I'd love to see the ratio of number of players who install and play the game as newbs to number of people who pay for the upgrades and for more games ... I bet the ratio is pretty low ...

This is just my feedback to the game as a newb being introduced ... I would definitely like to pay for the upgrades and support the game ... And am still undecided of whether I Should or not due to the lack of a timer between turns.

As I mentioned above this may not be as big of a deal for higher ranked games ...

But think of it from a newbie perspective trying to get into the game. I would think it is in one man left's best interest to keep those people playing their game and to pay for the upgrades. If I'm a newb, and i try out your game ... And you let me play 5 games, and then in almost all of those games I have to wait 4 days for my opponent to respond ... You will lost a Ton of players. What you will have is a game that tons of people download and then only the really determined people will keep playing. These really determined people are hardcore and probably would have kept playing anyway.

Also, if you're talking server resources ... It'd be way more ideal to have timers ... Why? Because then games that are dead in the water will get ended in a timely fashion and free up those server resources for other gamers that are legitly playing.

I am fully aware that I downloaded this game for free and should be thankful for that ... But there really needs to be timers for at least the low league games if you want to increase adoption rates of active players ... The more active players, the more chance for game purchase upgrades. Also ... With increased timers = more server resources available for active games.
I understand people have lives ... So do I Wink but 4 days is waaaay too long for newbs getting into the game. Maybe I just had bad luck in getting matched up with other newbs that decided to stop playing, I dunno ... But if my experience is anything like what other players have, I'd imagine a lot of people that could have been players will stop playing the game and will not purchase the upgrades. Just my food for thought.

I'm only posting my thoughts on here and honest feedback because the game itself is awesome! Wink
12-31-2012, 06:37 AM
(12-31-2012 05:31 AM)GoHeat 3 Wrote:  Personally, I think turn timers would be nice, but you have to realize that not everyone has the time to be basically playing constantly until the game is over. It think it would be best fit for friendly games and not League games!

I'd support turn timers for non-league games. Also, if you're worried about points, than try starting some friendly, non-league games, either with someone on the forums, or start a random game. That way, if a player is non-responsive, you can back out of the game without losing league points. There also seems to be plenty of newbs playing the non-league random games, so it's a good starting point.

Live your life as more than plastic.
12-31-2012, 09:54 AM
First of all, glad you joined us Neonitron! Seeing as you're just starting out I think it's important to remember that players become more and more responsive with their games the longer they've been playing. It takes awhile to weed out those who just downloaded it to give it a quick go and decide it's not for them. My advice is to be patient with the first few and be excited that the further in you get, the more serious your opponents will be. On top of that, if you need a more responsive game, I'm always up for friendlies--just send me an invite when you have an open slot.