Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Foundry Strategies???
12-31-2012, 01:26 AM (This post was last modified: 12-31-2012 01:27 AM by garcia1000.)
RE: Foundry Strategies???
Here is one
garcia vs poweewee Foundry

It's all about attacking. I am really terrible at attacking, that's why I play scallywags! The results are unfortunate.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-31-2012, 04:13 AM (This post was last modified: 12-31-2012 04:18 AM by game_taker.)
Your opening is bad. You aren't utilizing the pre-deployed sniper, and are not scouting to see how you're opponent is going to attack. My advice is to use either of garia or poweewee's opening depending upon being p1 or p2.
Don't go his wit spot in the edge of the map unless you can hit his soldier with your own before he does that to you.
I like to harass the wit enemy mid wit spot, and eventually get a unit inside his hook. Here is a game where I use the initial sniper, and get a unit inside the hook.

When defending, your opponent should do something similar 4hp soliders are a good way to counter snipers.
foundry game
12-31-2012, 05:44 AM (This post was last modified: 12-31-2012 05:45 AM by daHsu.)
Don't have any replays on me at the moment, but I'm pretty good at this stage (IMO Tongue)
Runners:At least one runner near the middle wit hex is crucial, and another near the spawn point far from your base. This lets you see what the opponent is doing, which isn't as important on smaller stages (SFI), but is really important on Foundry. It lets you know if the opponent will attack, and if you can attack.
Soldiers:Everyone else probably knows about soldiers as much as I do, so just spam them like crazy Wink
Sniper:The sniper seems a bit like a paradox to me. If you can walk it over to your base, it is really good at defending (so many opponents have trolled me like that). But in a lot of my games now, it seems like if the opponent wastes enough runners to take out my sniper, they're at a huge wit disadvantage, so a soldier attack with 4 soldiers is enough to take him out. TBH, I never try attacking the sniper if it's buffed (as P1 I take out the medic instead, and otherwise just save your soldier)
Heavy:Really, if you have a buffed heavy and a sniper, you can survive most early soldier rushes. You don't need to buff it right away, but that extra 1 hp the medic gives means a lot when the opponent has to waste 3 soldiers on it instead of 2.
These strategies is basically what I use, plus some good judgement Big Grin

You think only Adorables use snipers on SFI?
05-05-2013, 08:35 PM
Got a request to add some thoughts in this thread specifically what to do as P2 on Foundry.

As above the most aggressive player is usually the winner on Foundry. So the question becomes what can P2 do to become the aggressor? P1 has an advantage in that the sniper moves first but P2 starts with more wits.

My favorite move at the moment is to move up the predeployed runner to the wit space and see if P1 is threatening my sniper with a runner. If so I take out the runner with a new runner, move sniper towards medic and create a new soldier mid. Now I have a soldier more than the opponent in the middle of the map and is in a good position to be the one applying pressure.

If my runner on the wit space reveals P1 has two runners threatening my sniper I create two runners myself and take them out, this makes our situation fairly equal and the game can branch off several directions from there.

You generally want to pump soldiers from the mid spawn as they can be used both for defense and offense. Soldiers from the back spawn are more for offense as they require an extra move for defense. Because of this it is often good to trade units from your back spawn with opponent's units from mid spawn (assuming the same wit cost). This means it is seldom an error to create a runner from the back spawn to take out an opponent's runner.

"The delayed sniper attack" is something I noticed on this map from several high ranked players. Both players have been building up the army. The one who initiates attacks with all soldiers/heavies/runners but leave the sniper. Next turn the defending player tries to take out as much of the attacking force as possible. On the third turn the attacker moves in with the sniper as the defending player no longer have units to take out the sniper. In this way the sniper is safe and can be devastating in cleaning up remaining defenses.

Finally something that applies to all maps but maybe especially for Foundry. If both players have been massing units: If you can get in a position in which you attack with all your units and spend close to all your wits in the same turn you will probably win.

Soldier spam FTW
05-30-2013, 06:13 AM
(05-05-2013 08:35 PM)Alvendor Wrote:  My favorite move at the moment is to move up the predeployed runner to the wit space and see if P1 is threatening my sniper with a runner. If so I take out the runner with a new runner, move sniper towards medic and create a new soldier mid. Now I have a soldier more than the opponent in the middle of the map and is in a good position to be the one applying pressure.

If my runner on the wit space reveals P1 has two runners threatening my sniper I create two runners myself and take them out, this makes our situation fairly equal and the game can branch off several directions from there.

You generally want to pump soldiers from the mid spawn as they can be used both for defense and offense. Soldiers from the back spawn are more for offense as they require an extra move for defense. Because of this it is often good to trade units from your back spawn with opponent's units from mid spawn (assuming the same wit cost). This means it is seldom an error to create a runner from the back spawn to take out an opponent's runner.

"The delayed sniper attack" is something I noticed on this map from several high ranked players. Both players have been building up the army. The one who initiates attacks with all soldiers/heavies/runners but leave the sniper. Next turn the defending player tries to take out as much of the attacking force as possible. On the third turn the attacker moves in with the sniper as the defending player no longer have units to take out the sniper. In this way the sniper is safe and can be devastating in cleaning up remaining defenses.

Finally something that applies to all maps but maybe especially for Foundry. If both players have been massing units: If you can get in a position in which you attack with all your units and spend close to all your wits in the same turn you will probably win.

This is super helpful. Thanks!
05-30-2013, 10:09 AM
for me, the key to Foundry is defending the pre deployed sniper. if you can get it into a position where it can shoot the wit space in front of their base, it is EXTREMELY hard to kill it, and pretty easy to defend as you can keep a steady stream of soldiers coming from your corner spawn.

another thing is to watch the alley and don't move your heavy until the soldier down there is dead. if people try to attack in the alley you can just move your heavy down next to the obstacle and 1HKO it.

I've also found that if, after taking your wit space, you move your starting soldier up only two spaces (so he's on the wit space side of the hole) your opponent's starting runner can't see it from its starting position, but it still takes the same number of moves to get to their base through the alley

GameCenter: ElPared
Master League Crying Foot Master League

OSN Player Profile: ElPared -- I'm always posting both wins and losses, critiques welcome