Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Why stopped playing right before the losing turn
12-22-2012, 12:26 AM
Why stopped playing right before the losing turn
I am running into games where my opponent just stopped playing right before their losing turn, is there a reason to do this that I don't know about?

This is especially annoying when we were making our turns every other 5 mins, and then it suddenly stopped on his turn when I know I will win next turn (as far as I think anyway...)

I have 7 active 1v1 games, and 4 of them are stuck at a turn where I am literally outside his base and he can't defend anymore, but they stopped playing. For one of the opponent, I know he is playing because I started two games in a row with him, one i'm right at his door step and I think I will win the next turn, he hasn't played that game in 1+ days, but the other game he played at least 4 turns in the last 1+ days.

This happened a little at fluffy league before but I assume the new player just gave up and stopped playing, but now I am in master league I'm actually running into players that does this more than before.

Is there a reason why they're doing this that I don't know about? it's not like i'll magically give up and let them win...
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-22-2012, 12:53 AM
RE: Why stopped playing right before the losing turn
They are sore losers?
12-22-2012, 01:34 AM
As far as I know there is no benefit to this, so they probably just dont want to face the music.

Gifted League Gamecenter:Phyresis
OSN Profile
Wolfpack on OSN
WE ARE THE WOLFPACK!
12-22-2012, 03:19 AM
They could be trying to move up on or make it into the top 200 list for that week. But the loss is going to drop them down when it eventually times out (and further than it would have if they lost earlier), so there's no actual benefit to doing this.
12-22-2012, 03:23 AM (This post was last modified: 12-22-2012 03:25 AM by vegaprom.)
Anyway after 4 days if he doesn't make a move then you'll win automatically. However, the bad point is that you have to wait 4 days to gain league points and that prevents you from starting a new game(and also some more winning match). Not a good player I think, loser...

If I were the one who's about to lose, I'd press give up when I know EXACTLY no way to prevent and then I can start a new match and plan more carefully in the future match.

In addition, this also happens to me when I have just made some major moves, such as killing bombshell, mobi, sniper or sth important, some opponents stop paying too. Damn!
12-22-2012, 05:31 AM
It's actually detrimental for them to hold off their losses. If you win a lot of games in a row by holding off losses your hidden ranking will go up. Then, since you are more favored after that win streak, when all those lost games expire and you lose, you'll lose even more points as a result. If you postpone losses it just hurts yourself =P

The only reason I could see for postponing losses is if you rarely lose and you think you're about to be promoted. Then, you might want to hold off on that loss so you can join new games against higher ranked players then you would have had you let that loss finish. This is only useful if you think you're underrated though. If you lose 50/50 anyway it's pointless as mentioned earlier.

[Image: supertitanreplay.png]
12-22-2012, 08:32 AM
I can see one useful thing, if you've lost a lot in a row you might want to hold off some losing matches til you win a couple, then you might stop demotion? You can then spread your losses out more evenly. This is only useful if you win more often than not though.
12-22-2012, 12:04 PM
I did that when the new season started. Before the season ended, I had just leveled up, and at the new season, I didn't understand how the points work, so I didn't want to lose a bunch when the new season started. So I was trying to win a couple before "losing." But I just got so anxious about it, I just ended them all. I can't let a game sit for too long, even if I know I am losing. lol.

GC: TheGreatAnt
12-23-2012, 02:08 AM
I'm playing the same person in two games and the one they are losing they don't play back and in the other game they play like every 5 minutes!

GC: GoHeat3
Super-Titan

[Image: sig.png]
12-24-2012, 04:43 AM
(12-23-2012 02:08 AM)GoHeat 3 Wrote:  I'm playing the same person in two games and the one they are losing they don't play back and in the other game they play like every 5 minutes!

I do that sometimes, because the moves are more obvious in games that I'm winning. I often have to let a losing board position percolate in my brain a bit.

Not if I'm one move from losing a hopeless game, though. I prefer to concede and move on with my life.