Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
What would your special unit be able to do?
01-31-2013, 08:57 AM (This post was last modified: 01-31-2013 08:59 AM by Necrocat219.)
RE: What would your special unit be able to do?
The main problem I see with the idea is that you can't just think about what the top 1% players might do with a special but you also have to think about how races balance at lower level metagames; the four main specials are already spawned quite a bit less at the lower end of the spectrum than at higher levels and a lot of the tactics you've suggested would probably rarely happen at lower levels of play. You also have to think of a players first impression of a special; with the Bramble it was 'making barriers, thats pretty cool!' (Lets forget about it's execution for now ^^Wink but with the Phantom sure it teleports and is quite bulky but for lower level players who wouldn't be able to utilize it as well 1 damage might seem extremely underpowered for an investment of 7 wits.

However I think the following possible changes could make it have more utility and reduce the feeling of it being able to be 'gimmicky'; I know you're insisting that it isn't but I really do feel that only having 1 attack does feel gimmicky, especially with every unit here and there being boosted at high level:

-Buff to have 2-3 attack
-Only allow it to teleport in the vision of any of your units
-(maybe) make it so that the phantom has no vision of it's own

This would firstly give your opponent some counteractive measures they can do - they can prevent you from laying your eyes on important map objectives so you can't teleport to those sectioned off areas. In return you would be able to buff the phantom to 2 or even 3 attack (although HP might need to be reduced. Also a 'fun' element could be added to the mix (albeit a nerf) that the phantom has no vision of it's own: it would not be able to move when concealed in the fog.

Top 200 peak ranking: #18 Super-Titan

I'm currently taking a competative break. Am up for friendlies and tournaments!

(06-09-2014 02:14 PM)Bbobb555 Wrote:  I looked it up, apparently a kendama is a yo-yo (!). How the heck do you have forums for yo-yos?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: What would your special unit be able to do? - Necrocat219 - 01-31-2013 08:57 AM