Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hiding units?
12-06-2012, 02:21 PM
Hiding units?
I was watching some Super Titan replays a while back, and realized that a lot of people dont seem to care if they reveal their units to the opponent. It is something that most other strategy games tend to do. To keep their opponent in the dark on what they may be doing.

My question is just why you would move the unit within the view range of a unit you were going to kill anyway.

I am just in clever, so im wondering if there is something different in this way between Turn-based, and Real-Time games.

Gifted League Gamecenter:Phyresis
OSN Profile
Wolfpack on OSN
WE ARE THE WOLFPACK!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-06-2012, 04:49 PM
RE: Hiding units?
We generally only try to hide key units. It's not worth slowing yourself down by a turn to move to an invisible place. On the other hand, it's worth trying to hide the position of your bombshell, for example, since a surprise bombshell can be devastating.
12-06-2012, 04:50 PM
Usually to draw your opponent into a trap or to get your units within kill range.
12-06-2012, 06:01 PM
Mostly it's a matter of efficiency, it costs a lot of Wits to dance around trying to be stealthy, so unless you're rocking Mobi or Scrambler, most players prefer to take the direct route to their goals.

Gamecenter: EmuchuSuper-Titan Top 200, #34
"How'd you fix it?"
"I just employed a blunt-impact mechanical stress routine."
"What?"
"I kicked it."
12-06-2012, 10:18 PM (This post was last modified: 12-06-2012 11:10 PM by Alvendor.)
I'd say there is a lot of hiding going on but it might not be obvious all the time. Look at a Top10 player game again and think from each persons perspective:
"What possible moves might the opponent have done that I can't see?"
"What can the opponent see, and what will he suspect I have done?"

You will see that if any player lack crucial vision from any part of the map they will move to improve that, without wasting wits. Runners are positioned with a balance between how easy they are to take out and how much of the map they can reveal. There will be positioning of the other units to optimize the placement of specials and often to hide it.

On Shark Food there is a big difference to your response if the opponent put his bombshell one step forward or one step backward, and he wants to hide that from you.
On Long nine it is crucial for the defending player to know if the attacker is massing wits top or bottom to be able to fight them off. Putting two units to cutoff sight at the bottom is common on this map.
Any scrambler game is basically a war on information.

Soldier spam FTW