Thread Rating:
  • 8 Vote(s) - 3.75 Average
College Basketball Tournament for Outwitters! [TOURNEY TIME! R4: TG]
12-09-2012, 12:19 PM
RE: College Basketball Tournament for Outwitters!
(12-09-2012 09:43 AM)Coolio Wrote:  
(12-09-2012 09:13 AM)awpertunity Wrote:  
(12-08-2012 11:02 AM)Coolio Wrote:  2. I see your concern in this poit and I do think this tournament will take a little bit. The only reason I'm hesitant is you can't have a replay link for an ongoing game. What I was thinking is you have 4 days to complete your games. I think this is a reasonable amount of time. If your game is not over, whoever has more base points left wins. If no one replies about the base points or replay link or if both players have the same amount of base points, then the game will be a tie. The only thing I'm worried about is if the opponent is inactive it would be punishing the better player. If the opponent never made a move, I suppose I could give the win to the other player though. Tell me what you think about this.

I know a time limit like this sounds like a good idea to keep the tournament going at a reasonable pace, but 4 days especially is way too short.. If we all lived in the same time zone, maybe it'd work. But, the fact of the matter is that we have players from all around the world, and with work/school/whatever real life things people got going on, I think people have a general time of day that they are playing the game (I know I do).

Unless these times coincide with your opponents, the game will not finish in 4 days, let alone have more than 20 turns taken in it. Remaining base health in the middle of the game is unfortunately a terrible measure of "who is winning" in my opinion too, and will give a huge P1 advantage again after it has taken so long to have finally been mitigated pretty well in actual games!

The strategy seems quite clear in this scenario, get off an early hit on your opponents base, and just turtle while slowly take your turns until 4 days expire. I know you say you are going to try to see if a player is opponent is purposely taking turns slowly.... but in all due respect how the hell is that going to be possible in a 4 day period? If I take a turn every 12 hours, that will give my opponent a maximum of 7 turns to launch an attack against my turtle, and that's assuming he moves immediately after each one of my moves.

Unfortunately, there is absolutely no objective measure of "who is winning" a game in the middle of it. We've all seen crazy comebacks and sneak-attack wins that come out of nowhere, which is what makes this game awesome. So stopping a match mid-game and declaring a winner would simply not work in my opinion.

This is a good point awpertunity. I have thought about this but unfortunately I cannot think of any other way to keep this tournament from not taking a year to finish. I'm open to suggestions.

Why don't we just play the 7 conference games concurrently, rather than go 4 days at a time and one game at a time. You can set a 4-week (28 day) deadline to finish all 7 games. At least this way even if games have not finished by the time limit they will be a lot farther along than they would in 4 days.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: College Basketball Tournament for Outwitters! - awpertunity - 12-09-2012 12:19 PM