Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Matchmaking...is it equal?
12-02-2012, 12:50 PM
Matchmaking...is it equal?
Hi, I just registered. The name's Coolio. My name in game is Coolio - da best.

One thing I've noticed while I've been playing recently are the opponents I'm facing. I'm relatively inexperienced and am ranked about 60th in the Clever League. But, every game I've made recently is against someone ranked in the top 5 of a Clever League (except one game where they were ranked 16th). These people are obviously talented and i lose almost every time.

Has anybody else experienced anything like this? My only possible explanation is that the high ranked people are the only ones that play anymore so whenever i make a match they are the only people i can face.

-Coolio

College Basketball Tournament for Outwitters!

They call me the weed cutter, the cutie killer, the machine masher, the pirate pulverizer.

Outwitters Name: Coolio - da best
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-02-2012, 01:18 PM
RE: Matchmaking...is it equal?
(12-02-2012 12:50 PM)Coolio Wrote:  Hi, I just registered. The name's Coolio. My name in game is Coolio - da best.

One thing I've noticed while I've been playing recently are the opponents I'm facing. I'm relatively inexperienced and am ranked about 60th in the Clever League. But, every game I've made recently is against someone ranked in the top 5 of a Clever League (except one game where they were ranked 16th). These people are obviously talented and i lose almost every time.

Has anybody else experienced anything like this? My only possible explanation is that the high ranked people are the only ones that play anymore so whenever i make a match they are the only people i can face.

-Coolio

You're probably right on the money in your assumption. Matchmaking is based on an invisible "True Skill" rating that every player has, but the longer your game is sitting around, the wider range of players that you may be matched with. So, either Outwitters is estimating your True Skill as close to the top Clevers, or, like you said, the lower-level Clevers just aren't that active.

Gamecenter: EmuchuSuper-Titan Top 200, #34
"How'd you fix it?"
"I just employed a blunt-impact mechanical stress routine."
"What?"
"I kicked it."
12-02-2012, 01:27 PM
I'll take it my skill is close to the high level Clevers. Smile Just today I beat a guy ranked second. A good sign I think.

They call me the weed cutter, the cutie killer, the machine masher, the pirate pulverizer.

12-02-2012, 01:37 PM
(12-02-2012 01:27 PM)Coolio Wrote:  I'll take it my skill is close to the high level Clevers. Smile Just today I beat a guy ranked second. A good sign I think.

Ranking as of right now isn't accurate of your true skill. It's really a ranking of who is most active. So people ranked number 1 can be very active but still have little skill.
12-02-2012, 01:38 PM
(12-02-2012 01:27 PM)Coolio Wrote:  I'll take it my skill is close to the high level Clevers. Smile Just today I beat a guy ranked second. A good sign I think.

Don't base other people 100% on their league ranking/points/wins, don't just give up if someone seems better than you, you CAN win!

Masters again finally Master League

Member of the Wolfpack clan.
12-02-2012, 01:42 PM
I always try...I just don't always win.

12-02-2012, 01:47 PM
As people have stated, points don't actually tell you much about how good the player is. The developer stated that he's currently working on making the point system so that it actually shows skill. Presently you can be rank 50 and be the closest to promotion in your division despite 49 people having more points.
12-02-2012, 01:52 PM
During a match I beat rank #34 gifted and he was promoted to masters.
Rank/points mean nothing. They show activity sort of

GC: Great Wolf Sif
12-02-2012, 02:38 PM
(12-02-2012 01:52 PM)SerPurpleWolf Wrote:  Rank/points mean nothing.

Ehh. Pretty sure that's incorrect... Points represent activity. Your league shows your skill.

ie. it takes a much higher win percentage to become a Super Titan than it does to become a Master.

The person with a lot of points and a lower league rank has a lot of wins to get those points. But also has a lot of losses. Which is why they have not been promoted.
12-02-2012, 02:50 PM
Points mostly show activity, that's true, and they're biased towards wins, i.e., you get more points for winning against an equal opponent than the points you would lose for a defeat. So if you play often enough, and can maintain at least a 50% win rate, your points will rise regardless of your skill. You can deduce relative strength, though, based on how many points you win/lose against any given opponent. I think "approximately equal" is around 12 points on a win.

Gamecenter: EmuchuSuper-Titan Top 200, #34
"How'd you fix it?"
"I just employed a blunt-impact mechanical stress routine."
"What?"
"I kicked it."