3 Days - A little bit of A and B 46.67% 91 46.67%
Total 195 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Reducing Time Limit for Turns
01-12-2014, 04:49 PM
RE: Reducing Time Limit for Turns
(01-12-2014 03:24 PM)[PETA] Doodat Wrote:  "Oh man my favorite dish, I'm going to eat it every week!"
*a month later*
"Wait no, every day! I'm going to eat it!
*a week later*
"I'm going to eat it every meal! I don't understand how people could not constantly eat this!"
*a day later*
"Ugh, I hate that, don't let me see it ever again"

Like food, games are marked by temperance.

Fantastic, the above . . . analogy shows how thoroughly you could not understand the post to which you were attempting to respond.

My post, unlike yours, pointed out different ways a diverse player base MIGHT orient their playtime. Offering expanded design options, more diverse game choices, and an increase in community integration were the driving elements of my post.

Your post seems to enjoy making abstract statements about food, and inaccurate generalizations about the gaming industry.

(01-12-2014 03:24 PM)[PETA] Doodat Wrote:  However, even if the game is amazing, you shouldn't spend every minute of your life on it, or it will begin to seem like it has flaws. For something like this, you need others who are also interested in this game. Those people may have different circumstances, for example, my 2v2 partner plays almost once every 4 days because he is very busy irl with school, and also it is hard to submit a quality turn just after looking at the game for one period of time.

There is a quite small game called World of Warcraft that offers objective data disproving your point, both from cathartic, player-focused metrics, and industry redefining business practices. Wow, you are right, people who code the game make mistakes (bugs and balance issues), yet the amazing thing is, when those community members who are the lifeblood of that game bring those points up, addressing them makes the game and the experience richer AND sustainable.

Sorry your 2v2 partner is so busy? I am in my residency and my wife is an international lawyer, prepping to take one of the State bars in July. So yeah, sorry you assumed I wasn't busy. I enjoy picking up my iPad, pushing aside some biometrics, and making a move or two while walking from 1 point in the hospital to another. I enjoy playing a game I paid for when I would like. I do not like otherwise.

Again, I am sorry if your partner cannot balance static resources in a turn-based game and produce a move all in 1 sitting. One day we will get to that point of intellectual development and it shall truly be a feat of human achievement to sing from the heavens!

(01-12-2014 03:24 PM)[PETA] Doodat Wrote:  Also, I have had circumstances when I've gone to two days because I have forgotten to check my phone, or because I simply have other things that I have been doing that have my attention.

Yep, I bet your smartphone's battery lasts 2 days, or that you don't "check" it once, once at all, each day. The order of magnitude difference in the worldwide average a smartphone user checks their phone would disagree.

So, thanks for the input, you can keep your food-loving anecdotal data.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-12-2014, 05:37 PM (This post was last modified: 01-12-2014 06:06 PM by TheQwertiest.)
(01-12-2014 04:49 PM)QuicheLorraine Wrote:  "Timed League- Climb the Ranks! Battle players of similar skill in a timed contest that gives each player a certain net amount of time to play!"For example, in any given Timed League game, players A and B will each have 3 hours to make their moves for the designate game. Player A goes first. Since s/he just initiated the game, let's assume that he moves within the first 3 minutes. Player A has used 3 minutes up of his allotted time, and has 2 hours, 57 minutes remaining to use for the rest of the match. Player B, even though he just clicked the Timed League game, did so right before heading downstairs to work on his 1/100th-sized Edam cheese model of the Titanic. And good golly, he left his mobile device upstairs because it was charging and his Edam cheese workshop doesn't have any electrical outlets in order to eliminate the possible rise of the ambient temperature near his masterpiece. He works through the night and gets all of the deck chairs completed, while the game he started upstairs stagnated for his 3 allotted hours, and then he automatically resigned when his last grain of sand fell.

I don't think your suggestion of a timed league is practical. First of all, players here come from all around the world so they play at different time zones. Yeah I know, you shouldnt start a game if you dont have the time but if you have time restrictions as short as that, the game will be a matter of who can stay awake longer. With your 3 hour suggestion alone, if the two players maximize the time in taking turns (lets say they each make a move at around 2 hours and 30mins.) then in just 8 turns into the game its already at 20hours. People have to sleep at some point dont they?

Theres also the problem of match making which youll encounter once you rise higher in rank. (the system haves a hard time in pairing you cause theres no one playing near your rank) If you start a timed league and you dont immediately get matched, lets say it took 18 hours for you to get matched and the game started as you were about to go to bed. game over. rank down.

but of course you could play it out and not sleep.. Confused

(01-12-2014 04:49 PM)QuicheLorraine Wrote:  Again, I am sorry if your partner cannot balance static resources in a turn-based game and produce a move all in 1 sitting. One day we will get to that point of intellectual development and it shall truly be a feat of human achievement to sing from the heavens!

i don't think you should be making comments like that unless you can play at maximum efficiency (make the best possible move) in 1 sitting. and I dont see you in the number 1 spot..

(01-12-2014 04:49 PM)QuicheLorraine Wrote:  Sorry your 2v2 partner is so busy? I am in my residency and my wife is an international lawyer, prepping to take one of the State bars in July. So yeah, sorry you assumed I wasn't busy. I enjoy picking up my iPad, pushing aside some biometrics, and making a move or two while walking from 1 point in the hospital to another. I enjoy playing a game I paid for when I would like. I do not like otherwise.

Well of course most of us can make the move if we really want to but sometimes we prioritize other things so we dont make the move immediately.

"I enjoy playing a game I paid for when I would like." I guess your opponent could say the same. Just because you want to play doesnt mean your opponent wants to play at the same moment.

[Image: 9d7f96a4e69f9e49b3bcb2a9b2aa3267_zpsffc0a44c.jpg]
Anonymous Clan
GC: Pastil*
01-12-2014, 06:40 PM (This post was last modified: 01-12-2014 09:11 PM by Mag!cGuy.)
People not understanding that their wish isn't necessarly the whole community's wish..

jaxxin, I'm not not sure why you're acting that way, being frustrated won't do anything. You should actually READ what alex said instead of just looking at the poll.

Quiche, you shouldn't feel obliged to be unfriendly when you want to defend a point. Doodat didn't say anything wrong against you, so you might stop to behave in a kinda condescending way. Wink

You can ask a...
[Image: 6BmXQqC.jpg]
(drawing by Chemoeum)

[Image: sig.png]
01-12-2014, 09:08 PM
Have you thought about creating two leagues? A "casual" league (4 day timeout), and a "speed" league (2 day)? No?
01-13-2014, 03:08 AM (This post was last modified: 01-13-2014 03:10 AM by [PETA] Doodat.)
Er, yeah, Quiche I wasn't being disrespectful. I apologize if I came out that way.

And please don't talk about my 2v2 partner like that.
1. I'm fine with you insulting me, but not my partner.
2. All top 2v2 teams would disagree that you can always produce a quality turn in one sitting.

Doowhat? Doodat? Okey:3

1v1 Super-Titan - Peak #32 // Current #56 as AlliDooisRush
2v2 - w/jesusfuentesh #7
2v2 Master League - w/baustin #17 // w/Juslas #85 // Randoms #38
01-13-2014, 04:04 AM
(01-12-2014 03:24 PM)[PETA] Doodat Wrote:  It does seem like this, but have you heard something like this:

"Oh man my favorite dish, I'm going to eat it every week!"
*a month later*
"Wait no, every day! I'm going to eat it!
*a week later*
"I'm going to eat it every meal! I don't understand how people could not constantly eat this!"
*a day later*
"Ugh, I hate that, don't let me see it ever again"

Just to clear something up the above post refers to the following thread burnout

Which does in fact happen.

But this thread is starting to get off topic now, so someone post something politely that relates to the thread topic.
01-13-2014, 03:20 PM (This post was last modified: 01-13-2014 03:21 PM by Jaxxin....)
Politely, over 75%...

Master League Top 100 1v1
01-13-2014, 04:25 PM (This post was last modified: 01-13-2014 04:26 PM by Juslas.)
1 000 000 downloads
6 000 daily players
3 000 members
200 votes
01-14-2014, 03:14 AM (This post was last modified: 01-14-2014 03:18 AM by jaxxinjr.)
(01-13-2014 04:25 PM)Juslas Wrote:  1 000 000 downloads
6 000 daily players
3 000 members
200 votes

Yes, called a "sample." With statistics tests, can be proven that the Over 75% who voted for change is a Statistically Significant outcome.

But what is much more important in the stats you post is the fact that 1,000,000 people (!!) downloaded Outwitters but only 6,000 stayed. That should be shocking to the devs and worthy of investigating why, especially because this is one of the better iOS games.

I've been saying all along that I'm fairly sure one of the top reasons is that people are turned off by the fact that a game takes anywhere from weeks to many months to finish. I know that was my very first very disappointed reaction to the game.

That point is further validated by the Over 75% who agreed. Which is why I'm stunned the devs chose to leave it unchanged. They originally presented the poll as them considering a drastic change to two days. In the end, despite overwhelming support, they didn't even go with an incremental change to 3 days. That change would also given them a chance to study the effects of a shorter limit.

Ultimately though, I think the best solution to retain a much larger player base is to rework the game as primarily a live speed-match format, while keeping a "correspondence chess" option on the side.
01-14-2014, 04:17 AM (This post was last modified: 01-14-2014 05:06 AM by Juslas.)
I share you thoughts jaxxinjr. When I started with Outwitters, blitz was what I needed to get the fix!
Then was the magazine article about Outwitters being financial disaster - forum had plenty of thoughts how to help OML. Live speed-match format was proposed by me (among others).

But I voted 4 days, since 2 days does not make game feel any faster. And I do know that those 4 days are needed, sometimes. As 2v2 player I am use to having matches that take 50, 100 or even more turns and taking months to be finished. And it is just fine.

My numbers tried to be positive numbers. They all are large numbers, to our small community.

Live speed-match was discussed recently:
http://www.onemanleft.com/forums/showthr...2#pid76352