Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4 Average
2v2 random: why it really sucks. A lot.
08-31-2013, 06:07 AM
2v2 random: why it really sucks. A lot.
Firstly, don't get me wrong, I really like the concept of teaming up with random people. However, I really get sick of certain things going on with the matchmaking. This might seem like a useless rant, but I just feel like sharing my opinion.

The main point, really is that random pairs can be matched against arranged pairs. To understand this, we have to look at what disadvantages random players have against arranged pairs (gifted+): Captain Obvious alert!

You don't know your teammate.

No sh*t.

Most successful arranged pairs are successful because they know eachothers playstyle very well, and they make a good mix. With random teammates, you don't (necessarly) have that. If you don't like rushing (like me), you're gonna have a very hard time if you get teamed with potentially very suicidal person.

You can get any race for your teammate.

Most successful arranged pairs are successful because they can always make sure what races they're gonna use (mostly Scallywags and Adorables). As a random player, you can't. If you play Scallywags, you can't make sure your teammate will play Adorables. Good luck against a competent S/A pair.

You can get unranked noobsters for your teammate.

"Would you like to play a 2v2 game, while your partner is playing his very first game of Outwitters?"

No! Of course not! Please bugger the hell off!

tl;dr: I hate the current 2v2 random. I hope you enjoyed my rant.

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-31-2013, 05:27 PM
RE: 2v2 random: why it really sucks. A lot.
+1

Seems like 2v2 random will be fun if u were matched with super titans (being a super Titan yourself), and if both teams are random.

Game center ID: FurrySox

Gifted League 1v1
Master League 2v2 w/ Syvan

Feel free to invite me to a friendly 2v2 vs me and Syvan, or me as your ally!
08-31-2013, 05:41 PM (This post was last modified: 08-31-2013 05:42 PM by Juslas.)
Random matchmaking tries to pair you with equally gifted partner. Making play less frustrating.
I have finished only 17 random matches with 14-3 win-lose ratio. Two of the lost games were against arranged team currently ranked at top 10. I have 4 ongoing games at the moment and ludo_06 is player on 3 of them.
So random is not random at all, like matchmaking isn't either. To make Outwitters fun - algorithm tries to pair players according to their skill. But with 2v2 we have two factors that make games unbalanced:
1) FTA
2) arranged and random teams playing against eachother
09-01-2013, 07:12 PM
actually I quite like 2v2 random for.... well.... its randomness Smile

that your rant included "you don't know your teammate" made me smile. Well I guess thats the whole point of this game category, so if you don't like to play with a random partner why did you select this mode in the first place?

same for your second point (race of teammate) If you want control over those things then 2v2 arranged is your mode.

that you can get unranked noobsters as teammates is true. I guess the matchmaking process picks them if no other player at your skill level is available. However you have the same chance that you are placed against an opponent paired with a newly, so.... this can work in your favor or against you.

I see no inherent flaw in this mode. If you don't like the randomness, then I recommend you stick to playing 2v2 arranged games only.

[Image: sig.png][Image: 2u7x1fb.jpg]
awesome signature design by .Memories.
09-01-2013, 07:24 PM (This post was last modified: 09-01-2013 07:24 PM by Mag!cGuy.)
A simple way to fix 2v2 random would be to pair people by their league in 1v1 and not 2v2. I don't see why a clever could be paired with a master because they are both in gifted league in 2v2.
How many good players find themselves in clever league, because all their partners don't have the same level as them? Too many! Smile

You can ask a...
[Image: 6BmXQqC.jpg]
(drawing by Chemoeum)

[Image: sig.png]
09-01-2013, 09:50 PM (This post was last modified: 09-01-2013 10:03 PM by TheQwertiest.)
(09-01-2013 07:12 PM)Random Task Wrote:  actually I quite like 2v2 random for.... well.... its randomness Smile

that your rant included "you don't know your teammate" made me smile. Well I guess thats the whole point of this game category, so if you don't like to play with a random partner why did you select this mode in the first place?

same for your second point (race of teammate) If you want control over those things then 2v2 arranged is your mode.

I think you failed to see gfish's point.
the "you don't know your teammate" and "race of teammate" isnt the problem itself.
Those 2 above becomes a problem when the system pairs you against an arranged pair.
I just cant see how that is not a flaw.

[Image: 9d7f96a4e69f9e49b3bcb2a9b2aa3267_zpsffc0a44c.jpg]
Anonymous Clan
GC: Pastil*
09-02-2013, 12:16 AM
I have to agree with Random on this one, I always find the random matchmaking funny. I guess if you were taking your 2v2 random play really seriously you might not think so, but I enjoy not knowing who I'm playing with.

I find that I beat arranged teams as often as I lose to them. It's too easy to say "ah, they're an arranged team, that's why I lost, no fair", and then when you beat an arranged team say "I'm awesome!" If you played better and made better decisions in the game you lost, you probably could've won that one too.

GC name: amoffett11
1v1 Super-Titan
2v2 with .Memories. and 2v2 random Master League

Until you stalk and overrun you can't devour anyone
09-02-2013, 01:52 AM
At first I also wondered when I realised that 2v2 random pairs can be paired against arranged teams... I guess this is the case to increase the number of potential opponents to help to quickly match opponents. I see it as an additional challenge when i am paired against an arranged team with a random partner.

[Image: sig.png][Image: 2u7x1fb.jpg]
awesome signature design by .Memories.
09-02-2013, 04:25 AM (This post was last modified: 09-02-2013 04:35 AM by TheQwertiest.)
(09-02-2013 12:16 AM)amoffett Wrote:  I have to agree with Random on this one, I always find the random matchmaking funny. I guess if you were taking your 2v2 random play really seriously you might not think so, but I enjoy not knowing who I'm playing with.

I find that I beat arranged teams as often as I lose to them. It's too easy to say "ah, they're an arranged team, that's why I lost, no fair", and then when you beat an arranged team say "I'm awesome!" If you played better and made better decisions in the game you lost, you probably could've won that one too.

I take my 2v2 random games as seriously as I take my 1v1 and 2v2 games.
Regarding the bolded statement, would you say its fair to be paired with poweewee, Alvendor, LER4T on 1v1 when you are in gifted?
All your statements can also be applied here. (one was changed to adapt to my example but its pretty much the same thing)
It's too easy to say "ah, they're from the top 3, that's why I lost, no fair" and when you beat them you can also say "I'm awesome!".
"If you played better and made better decisions in the game you lost, you probably could've won that one too"

Yeah it's true that you could take it as a challenge. It's true that you could win but it's also true that the match up is not fair

(09-02-2013 01:52 AM)Random Task Wrote:  At first I also wondered when I realised that 2v2 random pairs can be paired against arranged teams... I guess this is the case to increase the number of potential opponents to help to quickly match opponents. I see it as an additional challenge when i am paired against an arranged team with a random partner.

You are looking at it at the positive side but the question is is it fair?
Lets say we play a game and I use the wit hack to get an extra 10 wits per turn.
Yeah you could see it as an additional challenge but it is clearly unfair

so back to 2v2 random
-so you get a person who you dont know as a partner and your opponent gets a partner who is familiar with his/her playstyle.
-you and your partner can't coordinate the teams you pick while your opponent can talk about it before the game even starts.
well its clear that my example was exaggerated but its only to emphasize my point.

[Image: 9d7f96a4e69f9e49b3bcb2a9b2aa3267_zpsffc0a44c.jpg]
Anonymous Clan
GC: Pastil*
09-02-2013, 05:17 AM
Those examples can't be used to generalize. For example, 1v1 gifted against poweewee is not the same as getting paired with a gifted 1v1 player, that gifted player paired with other master 2v2 randoms playing poweewee and Alvendor, or Alvendor and Natichux. The two randoms have a better chance of winning than the 1v1 player does.

Doowhat? Doodat? Okey:3

1v1 Super-Titan - Peak #32 // Current #56 as AlliDooisRush
2v2 - w/jesusfuentesh #7
2v2 Master League - w/baustin #17 // w/Juslas #85 // Randoms #38