Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Teacher problems
03-22-2013, 01:09 PM (This post was last modified: 03-22-2013 09:26 PM by TheGoldenGriffin.)
RE: Teacher problems
Its accelerating because of dark energy and its even less understood. When scientist first dicovered that the expansion of the universe was actually accelerating, they couldn't explain it. They used Einstein's old rejected idea to explain it. It was called the cosmological constant. Einstein thought that the universe was static meaning that it stayed the same. When he was working on his theory of general reletivity, he realized that the gravity in space would pull space together and to keep the universe static, there had to be a force that pushes the universe apart and against gravity. The balance of pull and push would keep the universe static. But then Edwin Hubble noticed that the universe was expanding because the galaxies are moving away from us. So Einstein rejected his idea. Now that we learned that the universe is expanding faster, we needed to explain it. To do that, we needed the cosmological constant or dark energy. Dark energy is also dark because we don't know much about it except that is makes up about 70% of space. Dark energy is a property of space and that means even empty space has energy. Space also has the unique property if being able to make more of itself and as a result, more dark force is made. Scientist don't why there is so much dark energy in the first place. But if there were more, the universe would expand so fast, stars and galaxies wouldn't have time to form and there there were less, gravity would cause space to collapse into itself.

I hear there's a secret Mobi hidden here somewhere…
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-23-2013, 12:00 AM
Wow, you really know you dark stuff! Now I want to go back to school and learn more, this stuff fascinates me. So much still to discover.

It still frustrates me that the answer to a lot of these questions comes down to dark stuff that can't be explained, it just exists cause it's necessary to make our current assumptions line up with observations. I feel we're on the cusp of another Newton or Eienstien who will make a giant leap forward in our assumptions on how the universe works!

Proud member of Anonymous clan
Master League 1x1, occasionally top 200
Master League 2x2 w Ryzuma
03-23-2013, 09:25 AM (This post was last modified: 03-23-2013 09:27 AM by TheGoldenGriffin.)
There are actually people and even scientists that don't believe in dark matter like you. General relativity passed many many tests and experiments and it is very accurate so it doesn't need modification. Scientists that wanted to disprove it have failed. There are scientists that are thinking up modifications for general relativity and testing them because they don't believe that dark matter exists. Its like if someone gives you an orange. It looks like an orange, it feels like an orange, its the right size, shape, color, weight. Then later, you are able to do more tests. It tastes like an orange, it has the right kind of flesh, it has orange seeds in it, it has all the specific parts of an orange, has all the right chemicals in the juice, you even test its DNA and learn its orange DNA. This is like with general reletivity. Its been tested many times and all the results show its accurate. Then you smell the orange and it smells like an apple. An apple. You'd be like, "How is this possible?! It looks like an orange, feels like an orange, tastes right, shape, size, color, weight, seeds, chemicals, and DNA is right but it smells like an orange?! Is there something we don't know about oranges?!" When the scientist realized that the stars were moving to fast, they were shocked. According to general relativity, the stars shouldn't be moving that fast. When calculating the masses of galaxies, 80%-90% of it's mass is missing. Where did the extra mass come from? You have two choices to make, either general relativity is wrong and that you have to modify it, or there is else there we don't know about thats causing it. Just like with the orange. Either what you know about oranges is wrong and you have to rethink about what an orange really is, or what you know about oranges is right and that something is causing it to smell like an apple- like an apple scented chemical on the fruit. Because of all the proof that it is an orange, there is probably something on the orange that is causing the apple smell. Same thing with the galaxy problem, after all the verifications that general relativity is accurate, there is probably something else thats adding all that extra mass that isn't emtting any electromagnetic radiation or interfering with it- dark matter. Of course, there are scientists that deny dark matter exists and think that general relativity is inaccurate and are trying to think of a better theory. But because of all the proof, most scientist think dark matter does exist and are trying to learn more about it.

03-23-2013, 07:49 PM
BWLAAAAAAAGHHH EFFING WALL OF TEXT!!!!

03-23-2013, 11:12 PM (This post was last modified: 03-23-2013 11:12 PM by Wildt4lon.)
(03-23-2013 09:25 AM)TheGoldenGriffin Wrote:  There are actually people and even scientists that don't believe in dark matter like you. General relativity passed many many tests and experiments and it is very accurate so it doesn't need modification. Scientists that wanted to disprove it have failed. There are scientists that are thinking up modifications for general relativity and testing them because they don't believe that dark matter exists. Its like if someone gives you an orange. It looks like an orange, it feels like an orange, its the right size, shape, color, weight. Then later, you are able to do more tests. It tastes like an orange, it has the right kind of flesh, it has orange seeds in it, it has all the specific parts of an orange, has all the right chemicals in the juice, you even test its DNA and learn its orange DNA. This is like with general reletivity. Its been tested many times and all the results show its accurate. Then you smell the orange and it smells like an apple. An apple. You'd be like, "How is this possible?! It looks like an orange, feels like an orange, tastes right, shape, size, color, weight, seeds, chemicals, and DNA is right but it smells like an orange?! Is there something we don't know about oranges?!" When the scientist realized that the stars were moving to fast, they were shocked. According to general relativity, the stars shouldn't be moving that fast. When calculating the masses of galaxies, 80%-90% of it's mass is missing. Where did the extra mass come from? You have two choices to make, either general relativity is wrong and that you have to modify it, or there is else there we don't know about thats causing it. Just like with the orange. Either what you know about oranges is wrong and you have to rethink about what an orange really is, or what you know about oranges is right and that something is causing it to smell like an apple- like an apple scented chemical on the fruit. Because of all the proof that it is an orange, there is probably something on the orange that is causing the apple smell. Same thing with the galaxy problem, after all the verifications that general relativity is accurate, there is probably something else thats adding all that extra mass that isn't emtting any electromagnetic radiation or interfering with it- dark matter. Of course, there are scientists that deny dark matter exists and think that general relativity is inaccurate and are trying to think of a better theory. But because of all the proof, most scientist think dark matter does exist and are trying to learn more about it.

I found a grammar mistake. =D

Once a master of nothing, now a noob to pretty much everything.
Hiatus resolved. I stalk these hallways again.
GC Silent_Dynasty because I'm indecisive and whatever ;u;
03-24-2013, 12:37 AM
(03-23-2013 09:25 AM)TheGoldenGriffin Wrote:  There are actually people and even scientists that don't believe in dark matter like you. General relativity passed many many tests and experiments and it is very accurate so it doesn't need modification. Scientists that wanted to disprove it have failed. There are scientists that are thinking up modifications for general relativity and testing them because they don't believe that dark matter exists. Its like if someone gives you an orange. It looks like an orange, it feels like an orange, its the right size, shape, color, weight. Then later, you are able to do more tests. It tastes like an orange, it has the right kind of flesh, it has orange seeds in it, it has all the specific parts of an orange, has all the right chemicals in the juice, you even test its DNA and learn its orange DNA. This is like with general reletivity. Its been tested many times and all the results show its accurate. Then you smell the orange and it smells like an apple. An apple. You'd be like, "How is this possible?! It looks like an orange, feels like an orange, tastes right, shape, size, color, weight, seeds, chemicals, and DNA is right but it smells like an orange?! Is there something we don't know about oranges?!" When the scientist realized that the stars were moving to fast, they were shocked. According to general relativity, the stars shouldn't be moving that fast. When calculating the masses of galaxies, 80%-90% of it's mass is missing. Where did the extra mass come from? You have two choices to make, either general relativity is wrong and that you have to modify it, or there is else there we don't know about thats causing it. Just like with the orange. Either what you know about oranges is wrong and you have to rethink about what an orange really is, or what you know about oranges is right and that something is causing it to smell like an apple- like an apple scented chemical on the fruit. Because of all the proof that it is an orange, there is probably something on the orange that is causing the apple smell. Same thing with the galaxy
problem, after all the verifications that general relativity is accurate, there is probably something else thats adding all that extra mass that isn't emtting any electromagnetic radiation or interfering with it- dark matter. Of course, there are scientists that deny dark matter exists and think that general relativity is inaccurate and are trying to think of a better theory. But because of all the proof, most scientist think dark matter does exist and are trying to learn more about it.

Lol like the orange metaphor Wink

Thought I should point/add that though relativity is accurate, as its passed every experiment, the current math can't explain it. Tensor calculus is the best way to explain it but even that doesn't give an accurate viewpoint. Also you last sentence isn't accurate (I think your just being simple for forum purposes though). Physicists aren't really doing, shall we say experiments on dark matter yet. You need to make sure that the branch of mathematics will offer the correct viewpoint too. remember, experiments are expensive and you don't want to fuck them up first time. Tensor calculus has that potential. The math is the main reason why scientist split into the two sides. Some take the math not explaining much as a sign of dark matter, others believe that relativity must be modified because of it. I don't know but I think a new branch of calculus has to be invented at this point.

Btw I barely know anything about tensor calculus. It's a course I hope to take in College along with GR and SR.
03-24-2013, 12:57 AM
Scientists are doing experiments to try to detect WIMPs and other possible dark matter particles.

03-24-2013, 01:11 AM
(03-24-2013 12:57 AM)TheGoldenGriffin Wrote:  Scientists are doing experiments to try to detect WIMPs and other possible dark matter particles.

Since 2003. Like the scientist doing experiments on anti gravity. Not really going anywhere. I do think WIMPS are in the right direction of study though to the causes of dark matter Smile

If your as passionate to math as you are with science you will be a million times smarter than me very soon.
Also we've both destroyed this thread griffin, high five!
03-24-2013, 07:22 AM
Oh and when i said general relativity is very accurate, i didn't mean it can explain everything and is correct in every situation. Theres quantum mechanics too.

03-24-2013, 08:03 AM
Tl;dr