Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
FTA Bonus on Highlevel Games means nearly Autowin
08-24-2012, 01:57 PM
RE: FTA Bonus on Highlevel Games means nearly Autowin
(08-24-2012 09:37 AM)awpertunity Wrote:  
(08-23-2012 05:57 PM)garcia1000 Wrote:  
(08-20-2012 09:17 PM)awpertunity Wrote:  Are you kidding me? Why don't you just run along and flip a coin against your friends then. Sounds like great fun.

wat? you don't want to flip a coin because there is no skill involved in flipping a coin. Flipping a coin is just a 50/50 chance whether you win or lose. But in this game, you can win more if your skill is greater than your enemy. So if you have no skill you will be 50/50, but if you have high skill then you will win more games. For 1P winning 100% of games, that's only applying to the situation where both players are equally highly skilled. If you want to win as 2P then increase your skill

lol what?

Go read your post again and then my response, you said nothing about skill. You said it doesn't matter if P1 wins 100% of games as long as P1 is chosen randomly. I argued that's the same as just flipping a coin; i.e., what's the point of playing then?

The difference (and I'm not sure Garcia is necessarily saying this) is that the "50/50 fta" based play is only truly like flipping a coin if both players are at the complete maximum of skill and in fact can get no better in skill (basically every move is perfectly calculated like a computer).

It's firstly unlikely that any player is truly at that level for EVERY move (some may be close). But even if there were 2 players like that, there is still skill and enjoyment in ensuring that you play at that high level for the entire game, because one false move and you may ruin the p1 fta advantage. Even if the game plays out as expected, there is still skill involved in ensuring that it plays out that way....and some enjoyment in the tension and pressure of getting it right. This is not the same as flipping a coin.

But I agree it would be even more fun if there were no advantage and every game was up for grabs even if both players were perfect. Although again, I doubt any player is.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: FTA Bonus on Highlevel Games means nearly Autowin - Lutherj - 08-24-2012 01:57 PM