Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Replay] [Commentary] Double-Bombshell on Sharkfood Island
07-20-2012, 01:00 AM
RE: [Replay] [Commentary] Double-Bombshell on Sharkfood Island
(07-19-2012 10:35 PM)Alvendor Wrote:  
(07-19-2012 01:03 AM)swimj Wrote:  This is a ST vs ST match between Zargarsh and me which also involves two bombshells on Sharkfood. It could shed further light on unit positioning.

ST bombshell battle-Sharkfood

Note that he makes his shell a turn before mine, but positions it defensively, whereas I put it in an offensive position where I can hit his base with splash. That seemed to be the difference maker in this game, the positioning. The placement of holes on sharkfood creates a natural placement for the bombshell.

Thoughts/comments appreciated.

Very similar style to how I would have played the game. A few thoughts:

You like to setup your units in an excellent position. Just be careful that your good position is worth the wits you are spending to archieve it. I'm thinking especially on turn 6, 14, and the soldier on turn 20

I love your aggressive positioning on turn 18.

Assume you just forgot to heal your bombshell on turn 24?

On turn 8, would you consider leaving the base open for the heavy so he can attack once but you get a lead in units?

Positioning-yes, I have wondered that myself sometimes. I think I do it more on sharkfood because of how quickly runners can take out my medic.

24-yep I forgot to heal it. I was focused on moving my bottom soldier over to potentially spawn block/add pressure. It didn't work really well and I should've assumed he wouldn't let me do that. On the other hand sacrificing the shell put his heavy right in the mouth of mine so I didn't feel too bad about it.

8-hmmm...I've seen a lot of the best players do this, but I don't think I'm at the comfort level yet to take 3 base damage to kill his heavy. Because that would require me to be very aware of where his runners would be the rest of the game, something I cannot do yet.

Finally, I have a general question on dealing with opponent's attacks. If I am facing a rush in which I know I can't kill all units at once, how should judge which ones to kill? For example, if there's a runner 4/5 spaces away (which can attack medic/do base damage), a heavy 3 spaces, a soldier going to take a wit space, and a soldier 3 spaces away. I don't need a specific list, but just how do you decide what to attack?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: [Replay] [Commentary] Double-Bombshell on Sharkfood Island - swimj - 07-20-2012 01:00 AM