Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
'Real' Tips/Advanced Strategy?
07-17-2012, 05:26 AM
'Real' Tips/Advanced Strategy?
So no offense intended for the people who helped contribute to the tips page or the general advice I've seen given around the forum, but it hasn't been very useful for me. Why? Because it's largely common sense to anyone who has played TBS games in the past. I'm not trying to sound immodest, because quite frankly there are a ton of better players than I am. I'm currently in Masters going about 50/50 against other Masters. This means I have huge room for improvement, but I don't really know how.

The thing is, all those tips pretty much amount to general experience in TBS games. I feel like it's common sense to me because I have played many TBS games in the past and as a result am pretty decent at them. However, the difference is while I know how to play TBS in general, I don't know how to play Outwitters.

The type of tips/strategy that I'm looking for are the things that the best players do to differentiate Super-Titans from Masters. Masters players will clearly understand everything posted in that thread... but there is that little extra something which is needed to get to Super-Titan. A deeper understanding of the game. It's kind of hard to convey what I mean, but I hope you guys understand.

I understand that a lot of this in-depth strategy is situational. As such, I am not asking for specific strategies, that will come with experience along with being map dependent. Rather, general things like being more defensive, harassing, etc. what is the most efficient way to play from which one can then build upon with map and position specific strategy? Things like, do Super-Titan players generally play more defensively? Is that the more efficient way to play? Or do Super-Titan players harass resource nodes more? When a Super-Titan has FTA do they tend to try to capitalize on it early by pushing with a large force? Or is it generally better to sit back on your advantage and exploit it by sending units like scouts to harass?

Generally when I have FTA I do the latter where I use scouts to harass early and try to pull my advantage further either by picking off units like medics and snipers whose positions I can predict or harassing a resource node. But this is the kind of thing I'm not sure of. Is it better to be more aggressive early? Again, this is very map dependent, but just some general info would be nice.

I have a feeling I'm going to get responses along the lines of, "Super-Titan players are just Master players who have played enough to get a better grasp of the game. It just takes time as you encounter more situations and learn how to react to them better." This is a huge part of SC2. Playing enough games to be exposed to more situations. So yes, know that I understand this and ultimately practice will help. But I'm not looking for this answer, I understand that already.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
'Real' Tips/Advanced Strategy? - jaesonwu - 07-17-2012 05:26 AM
RE: 'Real' Tips/Advanced Strategy? - ArtNJ - 07-17-2012, 05:45 AM
RE: 'Real' Tips/Advanced Strategy? - Harti - 07-17-2012, 05:45 AM
RE: 'Real' Tips/Advanced Strategy? - Syvan - 07-17-2012, 06:46 AM