Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Tilt to Live 2 Early Bird Tournament [Winner: sky1988611]
10-30-2013, 04:06 AM
RE: Tilt to Live 2 Early Bird Tournament
New thoughts on the topic of Gf!sh's proposed scoring mechanic:
1. The rounding-error based *wobbling* can be circumvented by only rounding up or down. I'd vote for rounding up for psychological reasons and because it's an arbitrary choice anyway. So in the previous example, we'd have ceil(4,666,669/5,000,000*100) = 94. I'd still go with 500 points per discipline for a maximum of 1,000 which will draw the scores out a bit more and allow for a higher granularity and lower chance for ties.
2. With Alex hinting at promoting the Tournament for release I was thinking about how both systems scale with the number of participants. The current point system will at most allow 30 people to have any points at all and while that is plenty we did pretty much max that number out the last time (it was 50 and all discipline-leaderboards had 15 or more scores in them, leaving several people with 0 points). Seeing as the hype for Tilt to Live 2 will be greater and this is release I expect a bigger number of participants, which leads to Gf!sh's system.
Here, the number of people with points has no upper bound, everyone will get some points based on their scores which is far more motivating than seeing some pretty high score as the lowest bar for getting any ranking points at all.

I will brood about this for a few more days but without any counter-arguments (either from me or from you) I'd go ahead and change the scoring to Gf!ish's proposal.

I am in no way affiliated with or authorized by One Man Left Studios, LLC.
Any information on Outwitters I present is founded on personal experience, public knowledge or the Outwitters Beta Test.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Tilt to Live 2 Early Bird Tournament - Kamikaze28 - 10-30-2013 04:06 AM