Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Suggestion: Tournament Proposal Thread
01-09-2013, 03:57 PM (This post was last modified: 01-09-2013 04:00 PM by GreatGonzales.)
Suggestion: Tournament Proposal Thread
This has been discussed in another thread, but I think some action should be taken. There are several problems that I see:

1. Too many tournaments, both of similar type, and just in general. This reduces the value of existing, successful tournaments, and also creates clutter on the tournament forum.
2. Some people organize tournaments without the skill set, time, or dedication to run a successful tournament. This damages the legitimacy of the forum, and also ties up players who could otherwise participate in well-run tournaments.

I took a record of every tournament that has been organized so far, noting the date.

Jul. 12: 2v2 tournament [defunct]
Jul. 26: Community Tournament [Complete]
Aug. 2: 2 vs. 2 Community Tourney [Complete]
Aug. 29: Outwitters World Cup
Oct. 4: Fluffy to Gifted Tournament
Oct. 22: 2v2 Random OPEN
Oct. 23: Masters - ST tournament [defunct]
Nov. 12: Super-Duper-Titan Tournament
Nov. 26: Melodramatic Mini Mobi Tourney
Nov. 27: Clash of the Races
Dec. 2: College Basketball Tournament
Dec. 5: Hardcore 1v1 Tournament [defunct]
Dec. 28: O.W.S.A Tournament
Dec. 31: All Tiers Tourmament
Jan. 3: Micro strategic tournament
Jan. 5: Two Mans Left 2v2 Tournament
Jan. 5: Tornament testers wanted (proposal to begin several small tournaments from the look of it)
Jan. 8: Tournament for all!

That's 13 tournaments ongoing.

Look at the dates. Here is the number of tournaments organized by month:

July: 2
August: 2
September: 0
October: 3
November: 3
December: 4
January: 4 (only 9 days into January, mind you)

A picture is worth 1000 words:

[Image: jTNW1.png]

As you can see, this problem seems to be getting worse at an exponential rate.

I get it - it's fun to organize tournaments. I LOVE tournaments. I would guess that, with the possible exception of Gfich, no one loves tournaments more than me in this community. However, I have restrained myself from organizing tournaments until I can justify its existence. Take my 2v2 tournament for example - there was a real need for this, since there was no 2v2 tournaments to date. This is not to say that we can't have multiple tournaments running of similar purpose and structure, but they should be limited to a certain extent. I am inclined to make the threshold for "maximum" tournament capacity fairly high. But right now, I think we exceed even the most generous of thresholds.

Ok, so I've provided evidence, I've explained why I think this is a problem, now let's talk specifics of how to address the situation. I propose that there be a "Tournament Proposal" thread in which an individual can come and present their idea for a tournament that they would like to run. Then, either the community as a whole, or perhaps a select few volunteers, would review the proposals and give the thumbs up or down. Perhaps it will just be a matter of whether there seems to be a lot of interest in participating in the tournament. I don't think that this should be super formal, I just think that we should have SOME protection from inexperienced people starting a tournament, when they A) are not prepared to run a smooth tournament, and/or B) there is not need for the tournament of that type.

"Laissez-faire" approach is not working...
I'll also add that I don't think that any ongoing or proposed tournaments should be canceled - that would be mean! But I think we could use a new policy for going forward.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Suggestion: Tournament Proposal Thread - GreatGonzales - 01-09-2013 03:57 PM