Poll: Do you agree that the bonus wit rule is flawed (as described below)?
Yes
No
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Issue with new bonus wit rule
12-07-2012, 10:16 PM
RE: Issue with new bonus wit rule
Well, what is logical depends on how you view the mechanic and you could look at it either way. Your way is that a killing blow is effectively a "freebie" wherein your argument to allow a killing blow with 0 wits left makes sense. The other way is to view the mechanic as a "refund". You make a kill first, then you get the wit back. In other words, if you don't have the wits left to execute a killing hit, you don't qualify for the refunded wit.

Refunding wits is a clear cut mechanic. Everyone understands it. No wits = no move = no kill = no refund.

Freebie wits have the potential to cause confusion. Some players might wonder, "how come I have 0 wits but can still make a kill?" "But why can't I move?" "Is this a bug?", etc.

Also, the game would have to make extra checks to see if there are any units within range that you could land a killing hit on. Currently, it probably doesn't do those checks when you reach 0 wits and only lets you submit the turn. So yes, it would require more programming to implement the mechanic that way, I would argue at the expense of clarity of the rules. Personally, I think that great games are defined by simple, uncomplicated rules. This +1 wit thing might spice things up but to me, it was unnecessary and the game was fine without it. I would advocate reverting to the old system rather than change how it behaves.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Issue with new bonus wit rule - metalsquid - 12-07-2012 10:16 PM
RE: Issue with new bonus wit rule - NDRDOG - 12-08-2012, 01:35 AM
RE: Issue with new bonus wit rule - Szei - 12-08-2012, 04:40 AM
RE: Issue with new bonus wit rule - Magnum - 12-12-2012, 03:52 AM
RE: Issue with new bonus wit rule - _H2O - 12-12-2012, 05:49 AM