Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
New Forum Feedback thread.
10-22-2014, 05:47 AM (This post was last modified: 10-22-2014 05:48 AM by .Memories..)
RE: New Forum Feedback thread.
(10-22-2014 05:11 AM)onealexleft Wrote:  I'm currently working on the OSN link parser for discourse. As for formatting, there's only so much the importer will do. For threads that are being actively used during the transition, the author would simply have to format things again. This becomes a non-issue post my-BB. Formatting functionality is there, just a slight learning curve for less common features (while bbcode works for the most part, markdown is a bit quicker to type out).

Sorry for the confusion. What I mean is, with Discourse's forced mobile perspective, formatted posts with headings, images, tables, etc will look cluttered. This might not be an issue (we don't know since no one has tried yet), it's just something I worry about.

[Image: sig.png][Image: 2q2lq9y.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-22-2014, 04:33 PM (This post was last modified: 10-22-2014 04:33 PM by onealexleft.)
(10-22-2014 05:47 AM).Memories. Wrote:  Sorry for the confusion. What I mean is, with Discourse's forced mobile perspective, formatted posts with headings, images, tables, etc will look cluttered. This might not be an issue (we don't know since no one has tried yet), it's just something I worry about.

Ah ok. Worse-case scenario the user would tap on 'desktop version' in their preferences and can browse around the site in that mode. if we find mobile too hard to support initially we might just force 'desktop' for all users and make mobile optional rather than the default.

If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe. - Carl Sagan
10-22-2014, 04:37 PM
(10-21-2014 02:09 PM)Flarp55 Wrote:  Also, I want those clickable OSN links so that I can easily view the tourney games.

Currently a work in progress. Should be functional in the next day or so on the new forum. Given the way it's implemented, if OSN had some sort of 'lite' viewer (without the headers at the top, etc) I could potentially embed the replay itself into the post (it's just an iframe).

If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe. - Carl Sagan
10-25-2014, 04:32 PM
(10-21-2014 02:09 PM)Flarp55 Wrote:  Just checking... These current forums will still be working for a while, right? Because for the Elite Championship, my plan is to keep using these forums, because I don't want to have to keep track of two threads. Also, I want those clickable OSN links so that I can easily view the tourney games.

Pretty Replay Links working now:
http://talk.onemanleft.com/t/outwitters-...mented/656

10-26-2014, 02:59 AM
(10-25-2014 04:32 PM)onealexleft Wrote:  
(10-21-2014 02:09 PM)Flarp55 Wrote:  Just checking... These current forums will still be working for a while, right? Because for the Elite Championship, my plan is to keep using these forums, because I don't want to have to keep track of two threads. Also, I want those clickable OSN links so that I can easily view the tourney games.

Pretty Replay Links working now:
http://talk.onemanleft.com/t/outwitters-...mented/656

Excellent. Doesn't matter how much I despise change, I shall now put forth an honest effort to use the new forum and learn to like it.

[PETA] Cor13:4 Wrote:Mobi killed the Scallywag star,
He hit him on the base with his sniper from afar,
He tried to block the alley, but didn't get far,
That's how the Mobi killed the Scallywag star

Best Feedback rank (TGH) 3rd
Best Adorables rank (-DF-) 12th
Best Scallywags rank (-TAM-) 25th
10-28-2014, 09:06 PM
(10-21-2014 12:12 PM)jesusfuentesh Wrote:  I would prefer having both options just like some pages do: mobile site, and web site. It'd be awesome. I actually prefer this current forum system. But well, I'll have to agree with the last decision.

For example the thread of the GG Champions League was moved but because of the system format it changed everything and of course it doesn't look cool. With everythig cluttered I don't think it's actually possible to make it look the same way. Maybe I am just ignorant.

So we've cleaned up the styling. Added support for color fonts (i.e.[color=red], etc), and added Outwitters replay link embedding. I think this should about cover the needs for maintaining tournies in that thread.

I'll be making a a quick "things you should know" post highlighting some of the differences in formatting, features, to make the transition easier.

You also have the added benefit of making a thread post a 'wiki' so others can help keep a post organized if you wish.

10-29-2014, 01:38 PM
I feel it's not as easy to navigate even after I spent 20 mins on it. Somehow it doesn't feel as intuitive and there's a lot of scrolling. I guess I can spend more time getting myself more familiarized with it, but that's my quick thoughts.
10-30-2014, 12:15 AM
I don't know how it'll be with regular activity, but I don't mind the new forum after trying it out.

[PETA] Cor13:4 Wrote:Mobi killed the Scallywag star,
He hit him on the base with his sniper from afar,
He tried to block the alley, but didn't get far,
That's how the Mobi killed the Scallywag star

Best Feedback rank (TGH) 3rd
Best Adorables rank (-DF-) 12th
Best Scallywags rank (-TAM-) 25th
11-02-2014, 07:27 AM
I use iPad and iPhone to log in to this forum. But I prefer non mobile view with my retina displays.
New forum looks mobile, it's like Instagram and other mobile oriented sites that's appearance seems designed to low resolution phones, iPhone 3 perhaps?
People log to forum on a device that play Outwitters- but it does not mean they prefer mobile look, what ever that means.
And I am ok that I am been labeled as old, to prefer "full internet" view instead of "mobile optimized " view ;-)
11-02-2014, 09:24 AM
(11-02-2014 07:27 AM)Juslas Wrote:  I use iPad and iPhone to log in to this forum. But I prefer non mobile view with my retina displays.
New forum looks mobile, it's like Instagram and other mobile oriented sites that's appearance seems designed to low resolution phones, iPhone 3 perhaps?
People log to forum on a device that play Outwitters- but it does not mean they prefer mobile look, what ever that means.
And I am ok that I am been labeled as old, to prefer "full internet" view instead of "mobile optimized " view ;-)

oh, I understand. Some sites I prefer to keep the experience the same across devices (PC->mobile). While others I prefer the mobile version. You can do that on a per account basis though. I need to clean up a bit of the styling, But in your profile preferences you can switch to 'desktop view' and that'll be your default anytime you login from a mobile device.