Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
No Spawns Tournament #3 [Final Round Underway]
07-26-2014, 04:41 AM (This post was last modified: 11-05-2014 09:15 AM by TheGreatErenan.)
No Spawns Tournament #3 [Final Round Underway]
No Spawns Tournament #3

[Image: ll84EzK.jpg]

GREETINGS ONCE AGAIN dear fans and supporters of the International Federation for Association No Spawns Outwitters! It is time to initiate the proceedings in preparation for the third official No Spawns Tournament! Please read below if you are unfamiliar with the details of how No Spawns Outwitters is played, though even if you have participated in or followed previous tournaments, you ought to read the details which follow as some of them have changed since the last tournament.

Quick Details:
  • Sixteen Twelve competitors
  • All matches are 1v1
  • You aren't allowed to spawn units (with minor exceptions, see "Additional Rules for Small Maps" below for details)
  • This will be a mix of round robin group phases and best X of Y knockout phases.

Summary of Changes:

This time around we are going to restrict the players' choice of maps much more in the interest of better ensuring that the matches are fair measurements of the players' skill while still maintaining the intense and exciting nature that is intrinsic to the game of No Spawns Outwitters.

There will also be some small rule changes when playing on the smaller maps. Details on these changes are given below in "Additional Rules for Small Maps."

Furthermore, provided enough players enter the tournament, the tournament structure will be organized somewhat differently. The final tournament structure will ultimately depend upon how many signups there are, but provided the level of interest is high enough, the arrangement that we are hoping for is to have sixteen contestants who will battle it out through the tournament rounds detailed below:

Tournament Structure:

1. Initial Group Phase

The players will be divided into four groups of four. Each player will play two matches, once as P1 and once as P2, against each of the other three players in his or her group for a total of six matches played by each player. The top two players in each group will advance.

UPDATE: There are three groups of four. The top two players in each group will advance. Then, the two players with the highest score from the six players ranked third or fourth will advance as though they were the top two players from the fourth group.

2. Knockout Phase

Each of the remaining eight players will play best two out of three sets against a player from one of the other round robin groups. The players who placed first in their groups will play as P1 in two of these games and P2 in the third. The winners of these sets will advance.

Note: The players who advanced as the highest ranking players of the bottom six from the initial group phase will not be given the choice to play as P1 twice in this round. The choice will be given to their opponents.

3. Second Group Phase

The remaining four players will play another set of round robin matches against each other, again once as P1 and once as P2. Once more, the top two players will advance to the final round.

4. Final Round

The final two players will play a best three out of five set to determine the overall winner. As in the knockout phase, the player who placed first in the second group phase will play as P1 in three of the five games and P2 in the other two.

In the Knockout Phase or the Final Round, if players slated to play P1 more often would prefer to play P2 more often, then they may choose to do so.

If fewer than sixteen participants enter, then the tournament structure will be reconfigured accordingly at the discretion of the IFANSO directorial board.

Map Choice Restrictions:

The following maps will not be used in any matches of this tournament:

Foundry
Skullduggery
Reaper
Sharkfood Island

In the group phases (rounds 1 and 3), the players may choose to play on any of the following maps:

Thorn Gulley
Glitch
Peekaboo
War Garden
Sweet Tooth

In the Knockout Phase (round 2), the players will play all three games on:

Long Nine

In the Final Round (round 4), the players will play all five games on:

Sweetie Plains

In any round in which map choice is not fixed, P1 will select the map.

Additional Map Choice Restriction Rules:

For the Knockout Phase (round 2):

1. Any matchup with two games completed on Long Nine may play the third game on Sweetie Plains if both players agree. If either player disagrees, then the third game must be played on Long Nine.

2. Any matchup with only one game completed on Long Nine must play one additional game on Long Nine and then may play the third game on Sweetie Plains if both players agree. If either player disagrees, then the third game must be played on Long Nine.

3. Any matchup with zero games completed may play all three games on Sweetie Plains if both players agree to it. If either player disagrees, then at least two games must be played on Long Nine (but the dissenting player may agree to playing the third game on Sweetie Plains if he chooses to).

4. Any matchup with three games completed already may not replay their games. The existing result is final.

Summary of Official Rules:
  1. In group phases, P1 chooses the map and must send an invite to P2.
  2. Do not spawn anything at any point in your matches, except under the circumstances given in "Additional Rules for Small Maps" below. This means YOU! <--- This is the most important rule.
  3. If you spawn something by accident on a turn later than turn 3 or 4 (as labelled in game, not the player's third or fourth turn), then it is up to your opponent to decide whether to claim the win or to allow a rematch.
  4. You will be awarded 1 point for winning and 0 points for losing.
  5. Ties in group phases will be resolved by the following criteria:
    1. Head to head
    2. Single tie-breaker match on Thorn Gulley, with choice of P1 or P2 determined by coin toss

Additional Rules for Small Maps:
  1. On any map that features fewer than five predeployed units, the players may spawn the missing units during their first one or two turns, as follows:
    1. Glitch, War Garden, and Peekaboo: Each player may spawn at most one (1) runner and one (1) sniper during his or her first two turns of play.
    2. Sweet Tooth: Each player may spawn at most one (1) runner during his or her first turn only.
  2. Spawning units on these initial turns is not mandatory, but if units are not spawned during the designated turns, they may not be spawned later. It is recommended to take advantage of the opportunity to spawn units, as failing to do so will put players at a significant disadvantage.

To provide some specific examples, and to clarify some situations that may still be unclear...

Players may not spawn two runners or two snipers, even though on some maps there are two missing units. Similarly, players may not spawn any unit type that is already represented at game start (e.g. you cannot spawn a second soldier on Peekaboo). Each unit type may only be represented once.

On War Garden, because there are two spawn spaces, players may spawn both a runner and a sniper on either their first or their second turn. There is no need to spawn only one unit on each of the first two turns. However, if players prefer, they may spawn a runner in turn 1 and a sniper in turn 3, or vice versa.

On Sweet Tooth, players may not spawn a sniper, as there is a predeployed sniper. Only one runner may be spawned, and only on the first turn. Players may not spawn anything on their second turn on Sweet Tooth.

On Glitch, War Garden, or Peekaboo, if you do not spawn anything on turn 1, you may still spawn a runner or sniper or both on turn 3.

Signing Up:

To sign up, post a reply in this thread with the following information:
  1. Indicate that you want to participate in the contest.
  2. Your GC ID.
  3. Your current league (e.g. Unranked, Fluffy, Clever, Gifted, Master, Super-Titan)
  4. Your 1v1 Top 200 ranking (if any) (Don't worry about Top 200 ranking; I'll get it myself from OSN)
  5. Favorite ice cream (or other dessert item)

Sample:

Frederick II, Emperor of the Holy Roman Empire and King of Italy Wrote:Forsooth! I shall partake in the proceedings of the playings of the games of the matches of the No Spawns Outwitters tournament!

My GameCenter account is called falc0nl0ver42653.

On account of my extensive knowledge and experience in falconry and the practice and studies thereof, coupled with the many inopportune responsibilities associated with my ill-fated role as Holy Roman Emperor, my limited time has afforded me opportunities sufficient only for attaining the league of Fluffy in the arena of competitive Outwitters.

I enjoy marzipan torte.

Roster:

Group A:
  • awpertunity
  • AlliDooisRush
  • Gaebora the Owl
  • 22swarm
Group B:
  • GendryStorm
  • lawtai
  • Flarp55
  • 77BigD
Group C:
  • The Great Habudabi
  • .Memories.
  • izzilla
  • LegacyofEight

Date and Time of Tournament Commencement:

The tournament will begin once a roster of sixteen participants is established and the placement of players into the initial group phase groups is completed. In the event sixteen participants cannot be found, the tournament will begin at such time as an alternative tournament structure has been determined.

Reporting Matches:

Simply post replays in this thread. The tournament officials will periodically review the thread contents for new replays to update their records.

Results Spreadsheet:

Link to Google Drive Document

The International Federation for Association No Spawns Outwitters values your input! If you have any questions or concerns about the rules or tournament structure as given above, or even any questions about anything at all, please feel free to voice them in this thread, and we will make every reasonable effort to weigh your concerns against our interests and the interests of the No Spawns Outwitters community at large and work with you to come to an amenable solution to any problems that may present themselves.

Replays: (to be filled in as games are completed)

[Image: 257k5t3.jpg][Image: 33mq0s8.jpg]
If you don't get my jokes, it's because of Postmodernism.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-26-2014, 04:47 AM (This post was last modified: 07-26-2014 05:07 AM by [PETA] Doodat.)
RE: No Spawns Tournament #3 [sign-ups open]
I'm joining!
AlliDooisRush
ST
Cookies and Cream

Doowhat? Doodat? Okey:3

1v1 Super-Titan - Peak #32 // Current #56 as AlliDooisRush
2v2 - w/jesusfuentesh #7
2v2 Master League - w/baustin #17 // w/Juslas #85 // Randoms #38
Find all posts by this user
07-26-2014, 04:52 AM
Oh, hmmm... Come to think of it, since it's so soon after the new season started, do you suppose I should use the last Top 200 list from just before the new season?

Mostly, I'll just be using this data for seeding to ensure we don't have, for instance, one group with four in the top 20 and another group with four gifted players, or something like that.

07-26-2014, 05:03 AM (This post was last modified: 07-26-2014 05:07 AM by [PETA] Doodat.)
Yeah you should probably do it based off last season's.

In that case I'm #68
Here's a link:
http://www.onemanleft.com/forums/showthr...p?tid=3747

Doowhat? Doodat? Okey:3

1v1 Super-Titan - Peak #32 // Current #56 as AlliDooisRush
2v2 - w/jesusfuentesh #7
2v2 Master League - w/baustin #17 // w/Juslas #85 // Randoms #38
07-26-2014, 05:17 AM
I'm in for sure.
Gaebora the Owl
Master
Last season I ended at #104
Brownie in microwave for 20 seconds, top it with cookies 'n cream ice cream, and I'm a happy man.

The flow of time is always cruel. Its speed seems different for each person, but no one can change it. A thing that does not change with time is a memory of younger days.
07-26-2014, 05:29 AM
awpertunity
ST
chunky monkey
07-26-2014, 05:57 AM
I'm in a ton of tournies, but would never pass this one up.

GCID- LegacyofEight
League- Clever (my rank dropped from 1-74)
Favorite Dessert- A brownie sundae- Brownie, vanilla ice cream, whipped cream, nuts, and fudge. Or a panna cotta.

Once a Wolfpack, always a Wolfpack
07-26-2014, 06:04 AM (This post was last modified: 07-26-2014 06:05 AM by TheGreatErenan.)
Thanks for entering you all. Bear in mind the first round will only require six matches, and they don't tend to be long games, so it's really not a huge commitment. And then only three games for round two.

07-26-2014, 06:15 AM

GC: Flarp55
Master League.
I like all dessert. The more the better.

RIP, these forums

Lost the game
LegacyofFive the goat

[Image: sig.png]
07-26-2014, 12:19 PM
Need to defend my title!

GC: lawtai
Master
Strawberry