One Man Left Studios Community Forums
Outwitters' low revenue - Marketing suggestions and ideas for OML - Printable Version

+- One Man Left Studios Community Forums (http://www.onemanleft.com/forums)
+-- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Outwitters (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+--- Thread: Outwitters' low revenue - Marketing suggestions and ideas for OML (/showthread.php?tid=732)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

RE: Outwitters' low revenue - Marketing suggestions and ideas for OML - =) Random Task (= - 11-08-2012 12:08 AM

(11-06-2012 07:10 PM)CombatEX Wrote:  Well, this is a post I made on page 3 regarding speed games.

(10-14-2012 04:49 AM)CombatEX Wrote:  I advise against 30 min turn 'speed' games. If you want a speed game the turn limit has to be more on the order of 2 min. Why? It's easy enough to set aside something like an hour for a game which is pretty much guaranteed with a 2 min turn game (chess clock mode would be even better though, see below). 30 min turn games on the other hand can drag on for something like 5 hours even if you take your turn quickly every time. Let's say you average 1 turn per 2 min, but your opponent decides to take their turn once every 20 min. Then a 30 turn game would take over 5 hours. Not to mention games can even go up to things like 50-60 turns so even if you both take reasonable turns, once every 5 min, the game would still take a long time. Since this is a speed mode if you ever have to go away for more than 30 minutes throughout this 5 hour period... well too bad. You lose.

Instead I would suggest you change the 'Speed Mode' to something more akin to speed chess. Maybe give each player a 1 hour clock. This serves the duel benefit of guaranteeing a hard limit to the amount of time a game can take and also allowing a player to take a semi-prolonged break to go do something if they've been good about playing quickly during their other turns.

If you check Ravernoth's initial post (first post in this thread), he has the Speed Mode suggestion in there. This would certainly be a fun addition to the game. Want to play Outwitters for an hour? Well with each player given a half hour clock you're guaranteed not to go over your time limit and also get to play a more regularly paced Outwitters match if you're so inclined. A 15 minute per player clock would also be nice.

I agree. A quick game or speed game mode is probably the single most important addition to increase the attractiveness for existing and potential players who do not want to wait a day or two between turns. I believe something around 5 minutes would be a good turn time limit for such game category. 2 minutes may be too ambitious in my opinion, 15 minutes probably too long already as CombatEX rightly points out.

RE: Outwitters' low revenue - Marketing suggestions and ideas for OML - 2dhh - 11-09-2012 12:12 PM

(11-03-2012 12:23 PM)Sasquatch Wrote:  I would totally buy a t-shirt and nerd it up at school

I remember a while back OML said something about Outwitters merchandise (that went wrong). Maybe they are working on that. Gee golly I sure hope they are.

RE: Outwitters' low revenue - Marketing suggestions and ideas for OML - Gf!sh - 11-19-2012 02:00 AM

This reminds me of me not downloading the game on first sight. I decided to download it after somewhat about 1.6 months after first seeing it.

RE: Outwitters' low revenue - Marketing suggestions and ideas for OML - monkeyfridge - 11-19-2012 10:43 AM

Hey guys, for #4, the third icon, which game is that? (Outwitters, Hero Academy, _______)

RE: Outwitters' low revenue - Marketing suggestions and ideas for OML - cpecto - 11-21-2012 07:40 AM

I would like an uber price for the base avatars and an intro price would be nice for being loyal to the game please.
Oh and I don't support a new icon, unless it's really boss, just that red and yellow really is distinct and I like keeping thing og

RE: Outwitters' low revenue - Marketing suggestions and ideas for OML - WeiWei - 11-24-2012 03:51 AM

I think the Uber Pack should be increased by a dollar every time a new Set has been added in to add Incentive to buy the Uber Pack.Currently, the Uber Pack is at 2$ per set. When the next set comes out, it'll be at $1.50 per set.

RE: Outwitters' low revenue - Marketing suggestions and ideas for OML - diversionarchitect - 11-25-2012 05:41 PM

I'll admit I have no idea how hard any of these would be to integrate- but I'd gladly pay as additions to add any of the following features:

1) A Secondary fog of war in the final replay (so you can see why you made that leap into sniper range -oh I couldn't see the sniper until AFTER i landed there) This could just show what you couldn't see at the time a few shades darker and perhaps without color?

2) Color preferences per race. I'd suggest putting this on the profile page. This would let you set your color preferences in order. (e.g. Scallywags Green > Blue > Yellow > Red) This would let me respond to a game choosing the team I want, and automatically get the highest color in my list that's available. So if in a 1v1 I'm playing against someone who chose Green, I would get Blue as that's my second choice.

3) Facebook integration (the ability to connect to a facebook account like words with friends) which could potentially lead to outwitters being played ON Facebook, and using it- on other non ios devices. I have a friend considering getting an iphone at their next upgrade because he can't play it on his droid.

4) Costumes for the characters. Also something to be in the profile tab. Hats, Monocles, alternate pattern clothes... theres a lot of room for this, and sure you could start as suggested above with only the special unit. But I'd be happy to see the basic units get some flair too. This is mostly because the special units don't always see play- but the basic units ALWAYS do.

5) The option to force the end of a game that's been going on for 4+ days. I don't know if this automatically happens, I just had a league game sitting in there for a while and was getting annoyed by it.

6) A solo mode that might be fun- although I can't think of how to do it- would be puzzles. I recall Duelist magazine having puzzles that said "here is the final turn of a game of magic- you have this available and must win this turn or the other player will destroy you next turn, can you see how to do it?" Those were great puzzles.
•Perhaps if you could make puzzles that said- "your opponent will win next turn if you don't do something. Can you disrupt them so they will not be able to do so?" And show the way they'd win when you fail. Otherwise just show some splash screen with your special character wiping sweat from their forehead (or forebrain)

----bug fixes------
Brambles Vines are displaying the rules text for Scrambler when clicked on.
--------------------

I really want you guys to make your money on this game. It's the first game for ios I thoroughly enjoyed. It's got quick ~2 minute turns, asynchronous turns with alerts, great art, and a reward for strategy. The game I've been wanting to see on my phone for years. I want to see more games like it!

RE: Outwitters' low revenue - Marketing suggestions and ideas for OML - =) Random Task (= - 11-25-2012 07:45 PM

I am not keen on facebook integration but full integration of Game Center would be nice.

RE: Outwitters' low revenue - Marketing suggestions and ideas for OML - diversionarchitect - 11-26-2012 11:49 AM

@Random Task
The main reason for facebook integration would be to allow Droid and iOS players to play against eachother. The only thing I am sad about with this game is that my droid friends can't play- and they would. I'm scheming with one to let him buy my iphone when i upgrade, but thats a year out. We have been playing pass&play everytime we hang out.

RE: Outwitters' low revenue - Marketing suggestions and ideas for OML - WeiWei - 11-26-2012 03:10 PM

Can't OML put a 1 dollar cost on the game now? They do have a large player base and it'll continue to gain support. I know a lot of people who would for a dollar after they see it.

Additionally, I think OML should create a YouTube channel for the best replay and marriage through the game play. Get the game more popular.