One Man Left Studios Community Forums
Outwitters' low revenue - Marketing suggestions and ideas for OML - Printable Version

+- One Man Left Studios Community Forums (http://www.onemanleft.com/forums)
+-- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Outwitters (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+--- Thread: Outwitters' low revenue - Marketing suggestions and ideas for OML (/showthread.php?tid=732)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

RE: Outwitters' low revenue - Marketing suggestions and ideas for OML - =) Random Task (= - 10-20-2012 07:31 PM

Hi all,

This is my first post in the forum. I am also a big fan of Outwitters. This is exactly the kind of strategy game I was searching for a long time! From all suggestions made, I believe the following two are the best and easiest to implement:

1) add advertisements for players who didn't purchase anything
2) add the possibility to play a "quick game" with 5 minutes turn time limit

I believe ads for "freeride players" should have been included from the very beginning otherwise the business model just doesnt work if the download is free of charge.

I very much believe - and hope - that you can turn around the outwitters story and also make it a financial success! the game is just too good, too well thought through (except for the financials) to end up as a failure. It would actuallybe nice if the owners could update the community on how the financials develop as many (including myself) have made purchases to help out you chaps after reading the article on wired and on the game blog!

See you around and in the game
R.T.

RE: Outwitters' low revenue - Marketing suggestions and ideas for OML - Phillip - 10-21-2012 12:04 AM

I just got into the game great fun so far. The cost for all the teams is too cheap as you are locking people in and they don't have to pay anymore there is little reason to buy one team if they are going to. What I really wanted when starting out was to be able to play against the computer. Not an easy way to learn before playing other people. Getting stomped and not knowing what to do stinks.

IMO

Free - current game with ads 10 game limit
.99 - current with no ads 15 game limit
$10-15 - full version with all teams

All three should be in the AppStore. I don't know the purchase stats on the extra teams, but the 3 seems fair. Shouldn't matter in my mind if the cost of teams individual compares to the unlimited because of the promise of more.

Icon needs to be changed. First thing I judge a game on in the app store is the icon. The outfitters icon doesn't say what the game is. It isn't exciting or really interesting. Imo, something with two of the soldiers butting heads or somthing helps to translate a little more. I first installed a game, but didn't want to play againstw other people because it didn't want to suck and waste their time.

I don't know what the rate is of people playing and sticking around, but more maps/teams could help. May also be interesting to see how it plays if people place their own players ala arimaa

Great great game once you get into it.

Edit. Just saw the image for the soundtrack. Something like that would do a better job translating the game into an image. You'll never get the saturation of words with friends, but a better icon could lead to more purchases

RE: Outwitters' low revenue - Marketing suggestions and ideas for OML - rossP - 10-21-2012 06:19 AM

I found out about the game through the Wired article (actually I found out about it in the morning meeting) and I've been playing since. I've only bought the feedback team (sorry, cute team isn't my thing). I play a lot, but I don't think I've come near the 35 game limit. I am looking forward to the addition of new bases (might purchase) and the new veggie team (will purchase).

Here's what I would do.

Change the icon. It kind of sucks. You have lots of great art already - use it. The current icon doesn't really fit the game.

Don't change the game as it is; don't change it to paid. Don't spin off leagues as paid. In other words, don't take away existing content from your current player base. It won't go well. You have to add content. If you change how certain things work (game limits, for example), you need to grandfather your existing players in. Don't take away.

Offline mode. Sometimes people are unresponsive. Sometimes I just want to practice against a computer. Offline mode also gives you a whole new area to sell stuff fo, such as campaigns, AI types, or even just things you couldn't do in multiplayer because of balance issues (such as stronger bases, special units, etc).

Additional Game Modes. See above, and other suggestions around here. Keep random and league games as is, but add new game modes in the store. Speed runs, etc.

Game Slots. Right now it goes 5 > 20 > 35. You should think about having it be incremental. Ie, instead of jumping from 5 - 20 after a purchase, and then jumping to 35. You should consider just having a 'Add 5 Game Slots' item in the store that just adds 5 more slots to however many you've purchased. 5 > 10 > 15 > 20 > 25 > 30 > 35. Get rid of the instant 20 game slots for a purchase (grandfather it in of course, maybe include the 35 limit in the Uber Pack).

Aesthetics. It works for Team Fortress 2, you just need to find your hat equivalent. Allow people to buy additional colors to play as, allow them to buy additional bases, allow them to reskin their teams. None of these things would affect gameplay. You can sell additional colors for .99, additional bases for .99, different skins for .99, etc etc. I'm sure you can whip up additional color packs in no time at all compared to building new teams / maps / bases.

Uber Pack could be all teams / maps / game limits.
Aesthetics Pack could be all skins / bases / colors.

Donate button / Flags. Free to play games survive not on having a lot of people giving small amounts of money, but by having a monied elite spending way more than any sane person would that subsidizes the rest. You need to be able to survive off of the 2% of people who actually buy stuff, and the 1% that actually will buy everything they can. Give those people an incentive to donate by giving them flags on their bases that correspond to money spent in the store or via donations. Alternatively, you implement a badge system of some kind, but I think flags would work best.

1 flag - you've bought something in the store.
2 flags - you've bought everything in the store.
3 flags - you've spent xx amount of money.
4 flags - you've spent xxx amount of money.

There might only be a few people getting up to 3 / 4 flags, but they help subsidize the rest of your playerbase.

League: Make it easier for people to see where they stand out of all users. Make it easier to see how to move up, when it could happen, how much work you have to do.

RE: Outwitters' low revenue - Marketing suggestions and ideas for OML - TheQwertiest - 10-21-2012 06:38 AM

(10-21-2012 06:19 AM)rossP Wrote:  I found out about the game through the Wired article (actually I found out about it in the morning meeting) and I've been playing since. I've only bought the feedback team (sorry, cute team isn't my thing). I play a lot, but I don't think I've come near the 35 game limit.

Here's what I would do.

Don't change the game as it is; don't change it to paid. Don't spin off leagues as paid. In other words, don't take away existing content from your current player base. It won't go well. You have to add content. If you change how certain things work (game limits, for example), you need to grandfather your existing players in. Don't take away.

Offline mode. Sometimes people are unresponsive. Sometimes I just want to practice against a computer. Offline mode also gives you a whole new area to sell stuff fo, such as campaigns, AI types, or even just things you couldn't do in multiplayer because of balance issues (such as stronger bases, special units, etc).

Additional Game Modes. See above, and other suggestions around here. Keep random and league games as is, but add new game modes in the store. Speed runs, etc.

Game Slots. Right now it goes 5 > 20 > 35. You should think about having it be incremental. Ie, instead of jumping from 5 - 20 after a purchase, and then jumping to 35. You should consider just having a 'Add 5 Game Slots' item in the store that just adds 5 more slots to however many you've purchased. 5 > 10 > 15 > 20 > 25 > 30 > 35. Get rid of the instant 20 game slots for a purchase (grandfather it in of course, maybe include the 35 limit in the Uber Pack).

Aesthetics. It works for Team Fortress 2, you just need to find your hat equivalent. Allow people to buy additional colors to play as, allow them to buy additional bases, allow them to reskin their teams. None of these things would affect gameplay. You can sell additional colors for .99, additional bases for .99, different skins for .99, etc etc.

Uber Pack could be all teams / game limits.

Donate button / Flags. Free to play games survive not on having a lot of people giving small amounts of money, but by having a monied elite spending way more than any sane person would that subsidizes the rest. You need to be able to survive off of the 2% of people who actually buy stuff, and the 1% that actually will buy everything they can. Give those people an incentive to donate by giving them flags on their bases that correspond to money spent in the store or via donations.

There might only be a few people getting up to 3 / 4 flags, but they help subsidize the rest of your playerbase.

I agree with this. I think this should be in a new thread to get more attention

RE: Outwitters' low revenue - Marketing suggestions and ideas for OML - rossP - 10-21-2012 08:48 AM

(10-21-2012 06:38 AM)TheQwertiest Wrote:  
(10-21-2012 06:19 AM)rossP Wrote:  I found out about the game through the Wired article (actually I found out about it in the morning meeting) and I've been playing since. I've only bought the feedback team (sorry, cute team isn't my thing). I play a lot, but I don't think I've come near the 35 game limit.

Here's what I would do.

Aesthetics. It works for Team Fortress 2, you just need to find your hat equivalent. Allow people to buy additional colors to play as, allow them to buy additional bases, allow them to reskin their teams. None of these things would affect gameplay. You can sell additional colors for .99, additional bases for .99, different skins for .99, etc etc.

Donate button / Flags. Free to play games survive not on having a lot of people giving small amounts of money, but by having a monied elite spending way more than any sane person would that subsidizes the rest. You need to be able to survive off of the 2% of people who actually buy stuff, and the 1% that actually will buy everything they can. Give those people an incentive to donate by giving them flags on their bases that correspond to money spent in the store or via donations.

Thanks! I added a few more things in there just now.

I think a lot of the other suggestions are good as well, but a few have a sort of callous disregard for the userbase that makes me a little nervous. 1 Man Left, think of your users!

RE: Outwitters' low revenue - Marketing suggestions and ideas for OML - worldfamous - 10-21-2012 10:17 AM

(10-21-2012 06:38 AM)TheQwertiest Wrote:  

Here's what I would do.

Great post but, cute team not your thing? Missing out on a killer team for a cute reason.

RE: Outwitters' low revenue - Marketing suggestions and ideas for OML - TheQwertiest - 10-21-2012 04:40 PM

(10-21-2012 10:17 AM)worldfamous Wrote:  Great post but, cute team not your thing? Missing out on a killer team for a cute reason.

haha. true2

RE: Outwitters' low revenue - Marketing suggestions and ideas for OML - game_taker - 10-25-2012 09:53 AM

So the holiday season is just around the corner and it appears outwitters is going to celebrate it with a new team and some new permanent maps.
Also I'm sure many people have suggested or at least though of new skins and such every holiday season but the problem with this is that it will destroy the characters tab under the help, which you will be looking at constantly if there are suddenly dozens of different skins.
My idea: A new temporary map
cost: $0.50
lasts: a week before the holiday and a week after
the catch: these maps will start out with the teams special unit!! Something no other map offers.
graphics: obviously it should have some holiday cheer to it.
The cheap price will hopefully get many people to buy it even though its only temporary. The time limit avoids map spamming which would destroy the simplicity of the game. The catch though is the main part. No other map currently offers this, and I do not suspect any in the future will. This idea would then result in an inexpensive feature that gives though willing to pay an experience other user do not have.
Please comment, although avoid commenting about if the maps will be balanced or not. I am absolutely sure that if oml is willing they can balance a map like this. (This doesn't mean the catch is set in stone).

RE: Outwitters' low revenue - Marketing suggestions and ideas for OML - jackjackjackjack7 - 10-29-2012 01:20 AM

How about user-created leagues? Would be a fourth option in the gametype menu, and players could host their own leagues and invite gc friends. Maybe the host could even group players into divisions and whatnot, and after the "regular season" would be playoffs with the top player(s) from each division. Maybe Adam and Alex could host a "Pro League" or something with the top 100 or so players and we'd have a championship every few months or so. Just a thought. Something like this would probably get some attention from the media. Plus they could charge a few bucks to enable this option. I'd definitely buy.

RE: Outwitters' low revenue - Marketing suggestions and ideas for OML - Spikeywan - 11-01-2012 03:00 AM

Give free players a limited number of games, for example 50 or 100. I don't mean simultaneous games, I mean a total game limit.

Once free users have played that number of games, they can't play any more, and have to buy the game if they wish to continue.

Or, once that number of games have been played, they are limited to 1 game at a time, and can't start another until the current game has finished.

This could be applied to all game types; just league games; or both league an friendly games. Maybe allowing unlimited pass & play games would be a good idea, though?

Similarly, free players could be restricted to pass & play and friendly games only. It would be fair enough to not be allowed to enter the league unless they have bought the game. Existing free league members could be allowed to finish their current games, but not start any new ones.

These changes could be applied retrospectively in an update, so that it will affect all current free players, or applied to all new downloads, so affect all free players from now onwards.