One Man Left Studios Community Forums
Outwitters' low revenue - Marketing suggestions and ideas for OML - Printable Version

+- One Man Left Studios Community Forums (http://www.onemanleft.com/forums)
+-- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Outwitters (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+--- Thread: Outwitters' low revenue - Marketing suggestions and ideas for OML (/showthread.php?tid=732)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

RE: Outwitters' low revenue - Marketing suggestions and ideas for OML - Kamikaze28 - 10-15-2012 06:06 PM

(10-15-2012 05:17 PM)Juslas Wrote:  First I ran out of space with my iPhone 3G 8 Gt, then iPhone 4 16 Gt and iPad 2 16 Gt. I am ok with 32 Gt 4s, but retina iPad just inflated app sizes. Carcassonne and Ticket To Ride are now more than double the size compared what I initially bought. Several new titles are about 1 Gt. I don't have room for Outwitters on my iPad, though I paid max out and play daily on my phone.

You can thank Apple for that. Instead of looking at what device you are using and what graphical assets you need, the AppStore doesn't care and gives you the whole package - including retina iPad textures even though you play on a 3GS for example. This could be handled way better, but unfortunately not by any developer.

RE: Outwitters' low revenue - Marketing suggestions and ideas for OML - Zguignou - 10-15-2012 07:25 PM

(10-15-2012 12:56 PM)Strategic thinker Wrote:  4)Probably can't change revenue model and attract new players without major new mainstream appeal functionality. Marketing has been done, blogs have spoken, word of mouth has buzzed

2) Adding AI will be an incremental coding job. (I know AI will never match more than a ?Gifted? human. But by ramping up the AI wits on a sliding difficulty scale, and a couple of predetermined styles - blitz, turtle, creeping, special - I think it can provide an OK single-player challenge, with badges etc. See Neutrajima Hex)
3) It will make the game much more attractive for the mass market. Sometimes, you just want a quickie. And going up the learning curve in multiplayer is intimidating!
4) It is a big enough change to relaunch and get buzz again

Totally agree,
Make a big change ( Solo campaign ) that justify a new launch, and change the business model into a paid app.

Also read on the blog's comments, add a donation button in the shop and give some differents levels of flag to players on their base, so we can show proudly to others how supportive we are ! Your fanbase wants to give money and wants to play this game for years.
Second idea gathered on the blog's comments, limit the free app to friendly matches. Keep the league for paid users.

Also, would it be expensive to develop this game for Android and, even, computers, windows & Osx ? It would offer a lot more of players.

I'm a BIG fan of your games. I'm downloaded outwitters just because I was a big fan of Tilt for Live, I wasn't knowing I was downloading the best iPhone game ever made !

RE: Outwitters' low revenue - Marketing suggestions and ideas for OML - Ravernoth - 10-15-2012 09:56 PM

(10-15-2012 12:16 PM)GoHeat 3 Wrote:  
(10-15-2012 12:10 PM)HollowKisame Wrote:  Just a suggestion for new icon. Make it a special unit or update icon with recent new special unit to represent most recent new class?
I think a soldier would be more appealing in my opinion. Not sure which soldier though.

I would go for the Feedback soldier - more widespread appeal to the strategy gamer audience.
(10-15-2012 07:25 PM)Zguignou Wrote:  
(10-15-2012 12:56 PM)Strategic thinker Wrote:  4)Probably can't change revenue model and attract new players without major new mainstream appeal functionality. Marketing has been done, blogs have spoken, word of mouth has buzzed

2) Adding AI will be an incremental coding job. (I know AI will never match more than a ?Gifted? human. But by ramping up the AI wits on a sliding difficulty scale, and a couple of predetermined styles - blitz, turtle, creeping, special - I think it can provide an OK single-player challenge, with badges etc. See Neutrajima Hex)
3) It will make the game much more attractive for the mass market. Sometimes, you just want a quickie. And going up the learning curve in multiplayer is intimidating!
4) It is a big enough change to relaunch and get buzz again

Totally agree,
Make a big change ( Solo campaign ) that justify a new launch, and change the business model into a paid app.

Agreed that a big change and relaunch is needed, though I don't think multiplayer is dead.

A Speed/Semi-realtime mode would be a major feature as well, and would appeal to many who passed on it due to the async nature.

Updated the OP. I think OML can turn this around - hope they read this thread and find it useful.

RE: Outwitters' low revenue - Marketing suggestions and ideas for OML - Juslas - 10-16-2012 12:54 AM

Speed game as a live game

It is easy to play fast friendly game with known fast player, but new players do not have this option. But what about having option of having one live game running, opponent's moves shown as they are made (minus server lag). Timer running for each turn - 45 to 60 seconds should be plenty. But longer thinking time rather than shorter (in my opinion). We try to attract new players, to get that instant fix!

No rules need to be changed, no replay button needed, noway to get lost with simultaneous multiple games... and this would give good quick fix for experience players, too.
I do think that chess clock model is not new player friendly. Therefore I propose set time limit per turn.

RE: Outwitters' low revenue - Marketing suggestions and ideas for OML - Zomus X - 10-16-2012 01:44 PM

Ok. I know that some people were complaining that there weren't enough ways to pay OML. I thought that some people might be interested in owning the outwitters soundtrack for 99 cents. Just a suggestion.

RE: Outwitters' low revenue - Marketing suggestions and ideas for OML - pookywb - 10-16-2012 02:07 PM

Who does that money go to? The composer, or OML? Or both?

I should probably buy it anyway though, huh? Tongue

RE: Outwitters' low revenue - Marketing suggestions and ideas for OML - 2dhh - 10-16-2012 05:32 PM

Hats on my mobi!

Omg yes! I'm a female and I'll love this idea. But since I don't use specials often, what about accessories for all units? E.g Christmas is coming, sell the Christmas pack for $0.99 where all units are spawned with a Christmas hat. I'll be all *SQUEEEEEL*

The flag idea for bases is cool too Smile this is the longest iOS game that I've committed to playing, I really hope they can recoup the cost.

RE: Outwitters' low revenue - Marketing suggestions and ideas for OML - TheQwertiest - 10-17-2012 01:01 AM

(10-16-2012 05:32 PM)2dhh Wrote:  Hats on my mobi!

Omg yes! I'm a female and I'll love this idea. But since I don't use specials often, what about accessories for all units? E.g Christmas is coming, sell the Christmas pack for $0.99 where all units are spawned with a Christmas hat. I'll be all *SQUEEEEEL*

The flag idea for bases is cool too Smile this is the longest iOS game that I've committed to playing, I really hope they can recoup the cost.

i agree. specially the *SQUEEEEEL* part. haha
a christmas pack would be awesome
also a purchasable flag of your country that goes on top of your base or something would also be nice.

RE: Outwitters' low revenue - Marketing suggestions and ideas for OML - Bad Herr Day - 10-17-2012 09:35 AM

Don't underestimate your current fan base. I'd be willing to invest to keep oml going for another 12 months. How about advertising to existing game players like the online chess, poker, bridge and scrabble communities?
Outwitters would appeal to all strategy game players.
It's fantastic value for money. I'd pay to keep it going.
Small monthly subscriptions to play rated games should keep you in the black

RE: Outwitters' low revenue - Marketing suggestions and ideas for OML - BigTroy68 - 10-17-2012 10:48 AM

TF2 makes a mint selling hats to a small core audience. Every FTP MMO also makes the majority of its income from cosmetic upgrades (Ive read this but cant find a reference so grain of salt there.)

I know I have bought all of the avatar packs for HA. In fact I have spent, to date, over 20.00 at least on HA between the game, the teams, the cosmetic packs and the steam client. And I would happily pay for the something like the TF2 hats that you get if you have the TF2 team and avatar pack.

I also love the christmas theme pack.

I loved the value of the mega bundle initially, but I was worried even then that it would not give the great guys at OML the reneue they need to keep up with the game.

Its ok to be a little bit greedy guys, you have families to support, so charge what your worth!!!