One Man Left Studios Community Forums
Outwitters' low revenue - Marketing suggestions and ideas for OML - Printable Version

+- One Man Left Studios Community Forums (http://www.onemanleft.com/forums)
+-- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Outwitters (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+--- Thread: Outwitters' low revenue - Marketing suggestions and ideas for OML (/showthread.php?tid=732)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

RE: Outwitters' low revenue - Marketing suggestions and ideas for OML - XixonDale - 01-11-2013 08:46 PM

How about just adding payment options, instead of only credit card. Yes i know in the USA everyone uses it. But in Europe countries, like the Netherlands we pay by bank. And i think alot of players are under 18, and not everyone has a friendly parent to let them use a credit card. Or has a parent that has one, or has a parent that would like to get a credit card so he (or she) can buy a game for his son (or daugther)

So alow us to use: Ideal, paypal, etc....

RE: Outwitters' low revenue - Marketing suggestions and ideas for OML - QuantumApocalypse - 01-11-2013 08:59 PM

(01-11-2013 08:46 PM)XixonDale Wrote:  How about just adding payment options, instead of only credit card. Yes i know in the USA everyone uses it. But in Europe countries, like the Netherlands we pay by bank. And i think alot of players are under 18, and not everyone has a friendly parent to let them use a credit card. Or has a parent that has one, or has a parent that would like to get a credit card so he (or she) can buy a game for his son (or daugther)

So alow us to use: Ideal, paypal, etc....

Unfortunately, that is out of reach of all Apple developers. The payment options are altered at the discretion of Apple themselves, and apps are forbidden from redirecting to a separate site for purchases. In most countries where Apple is located, you can purchase iTunes gift cards which you load into your iTunes balance.

You could forward your suggestions to Apple though Tongue

RE: Outwitters' low revenue - Marketing suggestions and ideas for OML - StratZ- - 01-12-2013 12:39 AM

Have official tournament ran by OML, but us players would have to pay for entry in the tournament and winner gets a blog post or something and a prize. Think of it as a fundraiser. Of course we would have to make different leagues and stuff like that BUT this fundraiser concept would raise money for OML tremendously

RE: Outwitters' low revenue - Marketing suggestions and ideas for OML - Eijolend - 01-12-2013 12:43 AM

They payment options are controlled by Apple, not the game developers themselves.

I don't know for other countries in Europe, but Apple allows you to pay with ClickandBuy, which can be set up to just take the money from your bank account, in Austria.

RE: Outwitters' low revenue - Marketing suggestions and ideas for OML - greatbero - 01-12-2013 03:58 PM

You can use PayPal to buy iTunes gift card on ebay and pay using that.

RE: Outwitters' low revenue - Marketing suggestions and ideas for OML - TheGoldenGriffin - 02-14-2013 11:12 AM

My idea: A spoon
Why: so people can choose to have their adorable soldier to poke the enemy with the (default) fork OR use the in-app purchase spoon for 49ยข to slap the enemy so hard with the back of it, it loses TWO hp!

Lol

RE: Outwitters' low revenue - Marketing suggestions and ideas for OML - Ja Karta - 02-14-2013 12:03 PM

(12-31-2012 05:33 PM)sam dicruj Wrote:  The masses just don't want to play strategy games and many that do, don't want to play against other people. I've talked to many app junkies that get excited when I tell them about one of the best games I've come across, only to be let down when I tell them they have to play against other humans and not a computer. With all the crap making money out there.

Part of the problem with that is that League games come across as competitive and scary. Something that OML's presentation supports unfortunately.
Leagues games should feel the opposite of competitive: what they are is a system that promises you games that are always just at your skill level so you're challenged, but not overwhelmed.

If they present it as an auto-difficulty feature instead of a possibility of being told you're in the "dummy" league (along with ~40% of the population) it would be much more attractive to people.

[Even when I play "Friendly" games: about 1/4 of them are against unranked opponents. "Friendly" is the last place unranked (newbs) want to be playing in as even most fluffy players will severly outrank them.

The names are backwards. League is "friendly" if you're new and 'Friendly' is just unfair....
Heck, give players the option to skip "ranking" games altogether and just start on "easy mode" at the bottom of the skill barrel. Let them start by winning.]

RE: Outwitters' low revenue - Marketing suggestions and ideas for OML - Norahsul - 02-14-2013 12:16 PM

Hi, I have been playing and really enjoying this game, I think especially it's because I am playing with real people not computer so the reaction and responses is different with each game and each player; and I would really like to see OML do great and produce even more greater games.

Not sure if this was mentioned, but according to the math by Stewart, need 3 million players to breakeven. I suppose that's 6 times of current download, and for anything that's with low margin, it then comes to volume.

Here's my suggestions for increase both download and active players

- include an icon to "invite your friends to play" and click to send your GC friends or through email, social networking, etc.

- for every 3 or 5 (please pick the most ultimate number) friends you invited and that downloaded and played (optional, but recommended) the game, you get a mini lockable gift- something that's already developed and typically would need to be paid. for example, one base, or the add-on that was mentioned.

- have a pc version so people who don't have ipad can play. not sure if it's possible short term without too much tweak

Here's my thoughts on the priority from the list below that will be fairly low cost and quick turn around to implement and attract more players/download and purchases.

1. Tell readers that you are an Apple Editor's Choice for strategy games - easiest and fastest and probably will have most effects.

2. More add-ons (applicable to both models) for more purchase opportunity.
- Avatars for the game list (instead of the map image)
- Special team colours
- Skins - skin just the special units, and do overlays to make it easier to add. E.g. Hats that can go on a Mobi/Scrambler/Bombshell

3. Allow ads on free version, and upgrade to avoid the ad.

I hope this helps and can be considered so OML can turn profitable! Smile
Thanks again!

RE: Outwitters' low revenue - Marketing suggestions and ideas for OML - TheGoldenGriffin - 02-14-2013 12:50 PM

#2 is exactly like in the op

RE: Outwitters' low revenue - Marketing suggestions and ideas for OML - ElPared - 02-15-2013 07:17 AM

currently I believe Outwitters has a 5 game cap if you haven't bought anything. So here's my proposal:

Change the free game cap to 10, but once you've played those 10 games, you can't play anymore.

many games do this, usually platformers. With platformers like, say, Cordy 2, you can play the first 4 levels for free and then you have to buy it to keep playing. What you want to do is get people hooked on the game, and then suddenly take it away from them. This will make a lot of people rage quit, but it will make even more people buy the "full" game, which could just be a $0.99 IAP that changes the game limit to 20.

now, this will likely result in a drop in players because a lot of people play Scallywags for free and just deal with the 5 game limit. Perhaps these people could be grandfathered in somehow, allowing them to keep playing the old way (unlimited games, 5 game cap) unless they decide to pay the $1 to upgrade their game limit.

Another option is to make Scallywags pretty crappy compared to other teams, making it "pay to win" yes, but that's the way it is. I think the fact that Scallywags are so powerful is one reason few people buy Uber packs or anything else. When the team you get for free is better than 2/3 of the ones you can buy, why buy the other teams?

another option could be to change the free team to Veggienauts. Bramble is already underpowered, they could just leave it as is and make Scallywags a "premium" team