One Man Left Studios Community Forums
Super-Titan Replay Discussion - Printable Version

+- One Man Left Studios Community Forums (http://www.onemanleft.com/forums)
+-- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Outwitters (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+--- Thread: Super-Titan Replay Discussion (/showthread.php?tid=417)

RE: Super-Titan Replay Discussion - poweewee - 07-24-2013 10:34 AM

(07-24-2013 08:51 AM)Thrutchy Wrote:  
(07-23-2013 11:27 PM)Mag!cGuy Wrote:  Thank you very much trutchy! I didn't watch the replays yet, but I'm sure they will help me. I just get so easily overwhelmed by BS's, it's crazy Sad

You're welcome. I used to have a lot more anxiety when I spotted a bombshell. I still do when I'm surprised by one. The best solution for that is to regularly play scallywags and play them well. This will help a) predict where a bombshell might come out (to stop it from happening or to prevent surprises) and b) understand what gives them pressure or anxiety (i.e. scrambler fear, mobi-snipe out of nowhere, thorns picking off 1hp units). I think this is true for all teams/specials and even a no-special "team". That's a big reason I try to play all teams fairly equally. Veggies are where I need the most improvement. Since veggies are seldom played, I think someone who really mastered them could really do well because others don't know how their strategies and tactics work.

Exactly. I once had this SvS slugfest with joelduque that reached over 300 turns. That really taught me how and where to position bombshells

RE: Super-Titan Replay Discussion - L3R4T - 07-24-2013 04:58 PM

outwitters://viewgame?id=ag5vdXR3aXR0ZXJzZ2FtZXIRCxIIR2FtZVJvb20YvdzwAww

Scally power 2 Smile

RE: Super-Titan Replay Discussion - TheQwertiest - 07-24-2013 07:59 PM

didnt know L3R4T had a forum account.

RE: Super-Titan Replay Discussion - [PETA] Cor13:4 - 07-24-2013 10:47 PM

outwitters://viewgame?id=ag5vdXR3aXR0ZXJzZ2FtZXIRCxIIR2FtZVJvb20Y89byAww

I did actually manage to win against Joelduque on that one game I was sure I would lose. I made a tactical error on turn 12, where I should not have put my heavy next to the runner, but should have put the runner next to the runner. If on turn 13, he had spawned a soldier from bottom, hit heavy, moved soldier from near base to take out heavy and then port the soldier from bottom to where the soldier near the base was, I would have been done for good.

If I had put the heavy one hex over, it would have been very close, I'm not sure who would have won, but I suspect he might have.

In any case...I felt like this was a very aggressive game and I could have easily lost if I had made the smallest mistake before turn 12. For instance, even on turn 4, if I hadn't taken out the runner with the heavy and then his runner on his wit with a runner from bottom spawn, I think I would have lost because overall his extra runner would provide enough units to defend against my last ditch effort push.

If he hadn't exposed his medic and I hadn't taken it, the game would have probably been a loss too for me.
And on turn 12, in theory, if I hadn't put both runners flush against the base he could have ended the game by moving the mobi down beneath the hole and mobi sniping the base

RE: Super-Titan Replay Discussion - Thrutchy - 07-24-2013 11:32 PM

On turn 13, what was Joel thinking by ignoring the heavy? To kill it, he could have used the runner with a spawned sniper or better yet spawned/teleported heavy.

RE: Super-Titan Replay Discussion - [PETA] Cor13:4 - 07-24-2013 11:38 PM

I don't actually know. I think he was worried I had something in the FoW and decided to spawn a runner?

I think he could have even done better if he had spawned a soldier from bottom, hit heavy with that soldier and one from the base, then taken out the runner with his runner, then ported the spawned soldier from bottom that hit heavy back to next to base to shore up his wall.

Then he would have had a 3 soldier wall and both the heavy and runner would be gone.

Even if on Turn 12 I had done it right and moved the heavy one hex over it still would have been close. He would probably have spawned a sniper and ported and with the runner taken out the heavy. I would have then taken out his runner, one soldier, and the mobi or the sniper if he moved the mobi. The following turn, he probably could defend well enough to finish me off.

RE: Super-Titan Replay Discussion - Thrutchy - 07-24-2013 11:56 PM

Yeah, that would be even better. It's almost like he gave up in turn 13.

Sorry, I didn't fully read your original post where you already talked about turn 13. I just went straight to the replay. I just noticed you already mentioned the move you suggested. I'm guessing Joel miscounted his wits and noticed mid-turn. It still happens to me sometimes.

RE: Super-Titan Replay Discussion - [PETA] Cor13:4 - 07-25-2013 12:02 AM

I guess that's what I mean though, I feel like if he hadn't made that mistake he totally was in control and would have won. And I didn't feel like I made any mistakes before turn 12.

Was there anything I should have done before turn 12 differently?

RE: Super-Titan Replay Discussion - Thrutchy - 07-25-2013 12:17 AM

OK. I think you were spending too many spawns on runners in the beginning. You needed 4hp soldiers to try to control the alley as soon as possible. If he rushed harder (spawn mobi sooner and bring heavy into alley sooner), you would have been in bigger trouble sooner. Also, in turn 4, I don't think you should have killed the medic. That costed you 2 on your base and put you in high alert for a mobi-snipe. Fortunately for you, he didn't have a 3 more wits to teleport the soldier back - I assume you were counting wits.

RE: Super-Titan Replay Discussion - [PETA] Cor13:4 - 07-25-2013 12:42 AM

Hmm, I didn't think I had much choice in taking out that medic. If I hadn't, he definitely would have taken the alley with two 4 HP soldiers with a medic behind them, and on the following turn, a mobi would come out. I took out the medic so that he couldn't buff his soldiers and take that alley easily. Once he had 2 4HP soldiers with a medic behind, he could easily set up a mobi up top and finish me off.

As far as runners, I guess I could have not spawned a runner on turn 2, but the reason I did the heavy take runner, and runner take his runner, was that I was afraid he would take my wit space. If he did, it would be very difficult on me, because of unit count to get it back and would have cost more wits (I'd lose the wit and have to spawn a runner anyways to reclaim it and my heavy would have to kill the runner).

If I had just used my heavy to take the runner and not spawned one, then I guess I could have saved 2 wits, but then he might have taken both wit spaces, which also would have been tough to reclaim due to unit count.