One Man Left Studios Community Forums
Super-Titan Replay Discussion - Printable Version

+- One Man Left Studios Community Forums (http://www.onemanleft.com/forums)
+-- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Outwitters (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+--- Thread: Super-Titan Replay Discussion (/showthread.php?tid=417)

RE: Super-Titan Replay Discussion - Alvendor - 02-27-2013 05:44 AM

(02-27-2013 04:12 AM)CombatEX Wrote:  I have a quick question to people in general though. Do you move your medic or move your sniper to your medic (as P1 or as P2)? In the Foundry game with Eijolend, he moved his medic to heal his sniper, but I usually leave my medic there and have my sniper head towards the medic (which also pressures my opponent). We see that ..Sir3.. employs the opening that I usually use in regards to leaving the medic static. I do this as P1 and sometimes as P2 depending on whether it is safe to do so.

I have also been thinking about this. Don't have any answers but think you are asking the right questions. For now I don't move the medic in the beginning only so he can't kill it without loosing a wit...

RE: Super-Titan Replay Discussion - Mag!cGuy - 02-27-2013 06:31 AM

Replay of the week for sure aha!!

outwitters://viewgame?id=ag5vdXR3aXR0ZXJzZ2FtZXIRCxIIR2FtZVJvb20YwZT5Agw

His base was at 1hp, I had many soldiers near it, I thought he couldn't do anything, but... You want to know what happenned. Yeah you do. Tongue

RE: Super-Titan Replay Discussion - Eijolend - 02-27-2013 08:04 AM

Thanks Alvendor for the input - those are all good things to consider. I think I probably didn't have reached the familiarity with Bramble openings to avoid these problems yet.

(02-27-2013 04:12 AM)CombatEX Wrote:  I have a quick question to people in general though. Do you move your medic or move your sniper to your medic (as P1 or as P2)? In the Foundry game with Eijolend, he moved his medic to heal his sniper, but I usually leave my medic there and have my sniper head towards the medic (which also pressures my opponent). We see that ..Sir3.. employs the opening that I usually use in regards to leaving the medic static. I do this as P1 and sometimes as P2 depending on whether it is safe to do so.

Moving Sniper:
+ Saves 1 wit
+ Medic can more easily access units from the bottom OR top spawn if necessary on a later turn
- More limited in the direction the sniper moves (but it moves forward anyway so it's not a big deal)
- Medic not next to spawn

Moving Medic:
+ Medic next to spawn
+ Slightly more freedom in the direction the sniper moves
- Medic is limited to healing units at or near the bottom spawn
- Costs 1 wit

The fact that my medic isn't next to my spawn doesn't really matter in my games though since it is in a decent enough position to stop a soldier next to it on the way to the action without wasting movement (probably I lose out on one movement space by taking a slight detour with my soldier, but 5 movement vs 6 after two turns doesn't usually matter).

More importantly, by not moving the medic for the first few turns, I can still move it later once I've seen how my opponent has opened. This way I can make a more informed decision as to where it is most needed or if I can even just leave it where it is. In general I don't like using wits when it isn't necessary early on and prefer making more informed decisions after I've seen what my opponent is doing. However, this is not to say that the medic move opening is worse. There are strategies which rely on boosting particular units early which may necessitate the movement of the medic. So, this is why I'm asking what other people open with and why? I've seen other Super-Titans use both but I haven't seen an actual discussion on the reasoning behind either.
Good assessment of these opening options. I use both variants sometimes and I'm not really sure which one is superior. In this particular game I failed to recognize that the runner is in range and if you don't move the medic it's a bit easier to protect it against runner shenanigans.

(02-27-2013 04:12 AM)CombatEX Wrote:  That was certainly an exciting game. However, do you think the Bramble was a large part of your win or simply outplaying your opponent after the Bramble died? I've seen quite a few Bramble wins, but usually the Bramble dies reasonably early and it is questionable how much the Bramble itself resulted in the win. If you had made a thorn on turn 15 as you mentioned, then perhaps we would have a better idea. As it stands, a large fraction of the end game didn't involve the Bramble so it is unclear to me just how much it ultimately contributed to your victory.
Yeah that's certainly true - basically I was just happy that I made a game work with such an early Bramble.

RE: Super-Titan Replay Discussion - Gavin Wins - 02-27-2013 11:51 AM

Here's four games I just finished as adorables against p1noyboypj as scallys. Thorn gully, sfi, foundry, and sweetie plains (my favorite) are the maps. I went 4-0 thanks to some high level mobi and wit efficienct play.

outwitters://viewgame?id=ag5vdXR3aXR0ZXJzZ2FtZXIRCxIIR2FtZVJvb20Yvdb5Agw

outwitters://viewgame?id=ag5vdXR3aXR0ZXJzZ2FtZXIRCxIIR2FtZVJvb20YheT5Agw

outwitters://viewgame?id=ag5vdXR3aXR0ZXJzZ2FtZXIRCxIIR2FtZVJvb20Y_8b7Agw

outwitters://viewgame?id=ag5vdXR3aXR0ZXJzZ2FtZXIRCxIIR2FtZVJvb20Y5On5Agw

RE: Super-Titan Replay Discussion - Ryzuma - 02-27-2013 03:53 PM

(02-26-2013 10:40 PM)Eijolend Wrote:  Hey, I have an exciting replay I'd like to discuss, where I finally get to DO something with those Vegetables. Maybe my thoughts are useful for someone.

outwitters://viewgame?id=ag5vdXR3aXR0ZXJzZ2FtZXIRCxIIR2FtZVJvb20YlZH6Agw

In this game I try an early Bramble strategy, starting to spawn thorns as soon as Turn 5.
My opponent starts out with a lot of soldiers and no runners, so when he gets vision, the thorns are already in place.
I'm not so sure about my thorn placements on Turn 5&7, but I think the one on Turn 9 is a good place to put it, since it protects the Sniper and is only 3 thorn spawns away from the enemy wit space.

Turn 10: Mag!cGuy finally gets a runner out and sees my thorns, which causes him to reposition his Soldiers away from my witspace-side, so his later attack goes better.

Turn 15: I probably should have spawned an additional safety thorn directly from the bramble between the two obstacles in the north, so that desastrous Turn 16 move can't happen, especially since I have 1 wit left!

Turn 16-19: I thought I was done for, after I lost both my Bramble and my sniper, thankfully my opponent hadn't had enough wits left to spawn reinforcement during all this, so I come out solidly ahead in unit count after Turn 19, if you don't count the mobi. I position my Soldiers for a follow-up strike on the wit space.
I fear if he had moved his soldier first instead of the heavy on Turn 16 I might've been worse off, but he couldn't know I was wide open back there before he actually moved the soldier - so hurray FoW!

Turn 20: I question the decision to spawn a boosted Runner in this circumstance - while Mag!cGuy doesn't know exactly where my soldiers are, he probably could've guessed it. An unboosted Soldier costs the same and is much more useful for defending an attack consisting only of boosted Soldiers. The positioning of the Heavy and the Mobi was good though, as was boosting the Heavy on Turn 22, but boosting it on Turn 20 instead of the runner would've saved 2 medic-moves.

Turn 21-25 shows an important concept. When you're ahead in unit count you can afford to pull back for a turn and reinforce and then immediately jump into the fray again. While I destroy a Soldier in my first wave of attack and lose one in turn, I'm overall set back by one soldier, since I didn't get to spawn one on Turn 21, while my opponent gets one out on Turn 22. That's ok, because I'm still ahead in unit count, but I can't afford to continue throwing units at him, because of the Mobi he is much quicker to reinforce. My Heavy is slow, but a much more terrifying addition to my army than his stream of soldiers - also without it I have no good way of dealing with my opponent's boosted Heavy, since the amount of units I have is tight.
I think this is one of the few situations where a Heavy is better than a boosted Soldier - I don't have so many units, that I need the additional wits the Heavy costs to use them. A boosted Soldier probably costs less to move into the fight, but the Heavy saves me 2 wits when dealing with the big Bear. (4 instead of 6) So that makes up for the cost difference between Heavy and Soldier and the additional one or two wits it costs me to move it there and once I get rid of his Heavy, he has no good way of dealing with mine.
Notice how, the blue Heavy is in reach of my Heavy for Turn 26 - but he just can't afford to take it, since he would lose his mobi and/or his base in the process.

That was an interesting game - gg!

Feel free to comment or shout at me how wrong I am! Big Grin

How come you didn't kill mobi on turn 17?

RE: Super-Titan Replay Discussion - Eijolend - 02-27-2013 07:34 PM

Because I misplanned my Soldier movements.

RE: Super-Titan Replay Discussion - Ryzuma - 02-28-2013 01:44 AM

Buump

RE: Super-Titan Replay Discussion - xx uNo xx - 03-01-2013 10:17 PM

Here's a close game between me and heycoolkid on glitch.

replay

He makes a good push with his mobi at first. Then I think he gets a little too aggressive. Finally the fear of my mobi-sniper combo made his units retreat and I was able to finish the game. I think if he would have kept attacking instead of falling back he would have won. Great game!

RE: Super-Titan Replay Discussion - Mag!cGuy - 03-02-2013 07:44 AM

Another replay on glitch with keycoolkid, but the ending is damn epic!! Watch!

outwitters://viewgame?id=ag5vdXR3aXR0ZXJzZ2FtZXIRCxIIR2FtZVJvb20Yo-r5Agw

RE: Super-Titan Replay Discussion - Norahsul - 03-02-2013 07:59 AM

(03-02-2013 07:44 AM)W1cked21 Wrote:  Another replay on glitch with keycoolkid, but the ending is damn epic!! Watch!

outwitters://viewgame?id=ag5vdXR3aXR0ZXJzZ2FtZXIRCxIIR2FtZVJvb20Yo-r5Agw

a good game Smile