One Man Left Studios Community Forums
Hope it has a slightly improvement in existing matching system (not for 2v2 arranged) - Printable Version

+- One Man Left Studios Community Forums (http://www.onemanleft.com/forums)
+-- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Outwitters (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+--- Thread: Hope it has a slightly improvement in existing matching system (not for 2v2 arranged) (/showthread.php?tid=3548)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Hope it has a slightly improvement in existing matching system (not for 2v2 arranged) - terenceshiu2005 - 04-29-2014 04:46 PM

Just my feeling in my experience...if the current matching system cannot find you a similar skill level player within 1.5-2 days, it starts matching you to a player in any skill level (from not-ranked to ST). I hope the matching system to cancelling the game instead of finding a random player with different skill level, especially if you want to have similar skill level player in 2v2 random game...it is so discouraging...

RE: Hope it has a slightly improvement in existing matching system (not for 2v2 arranged) - Juslas - 04-29-2014 09:54 PM

But how you climb if you only get gifted players as your random partner... ?
Random 2v2 needs to be more random - and never match against arranged teams, please.
To be honest - if random and arranged were not matched against each other, we had much fairer random game mode.
Being ST random - I get dropout newbies as partner against arranged ST teams. Not fun.
Also if I start a match as p1, I get often arranged team as opponent, then had to wait ST partner couple of days (not many ST competing) ... I get paired with either top 20 or newbies and fluffy. I believe matchmaking does not have widening steps. That's a bad thing, too.

RE: Hope it has a slightly improvement in existing matching system (not for 2v2 arranged) - terenceshiu2005 - 04-30-2014 12:07 AM

(04-29-2014 09:54 PM)Juslas Wrote:  But how you climb if you only get gifted players as your random partner... ?
Random 2v2 needs to be more random - and never match against arranged teams, please.
To be honest - if random and arranged were not matched against each other, we had much fairer random game mode.
To match similar skill level players: If I'm a top gifted player, my random partner & our opponents will be from low-master to mid-gifted. Then we can climb or drop from ladder. In my opinion, 2v2 random players meet against 2v2 arranged players are necessary because there have only few 2v2 random players according to top 200 list, even though 2v2 random players may have disadvantage

(04-29-2014 09:54 PM)Juslas Wrote:  Being ST random - I get dropout newbies as partner against arranged ST teams. Not fun.
Also if I start a match as p1, I get often arranged team as opponent, then had to wait ST partner couple of days (not many ST competing) ... I get paired with either top 20 of newbies and fluffy. I believe matchmaking does not have widening steps. That's a bad thing, too.

I have same feeling when I'm playing my alt a/c although it is not an ST now. So, hope the current matching system can be improved.

RE: Hope it has a slightly improvement in existing matching system (not for 2v2 arranged) - Juslas - 04-30-2014 08:44 PM

There are only 100-120 doubles matches completed daily. Can assume same number is started daily.
Therefore Alex's decision combining arranged and random has a point. But matchmaking feels off as a player perspective, because of Alex's choice.
I feel random partners play really poorly, regardless they league or ranking. I strongly feel that excluding arranged teams would make things much better. And random would fight random with random skills.
Also matchmaking needs to have steps that widen the search for partner and opponent. It sure feels that there is just on and off modes now.
---
When next season starts: please separate random and arranged from matchmaking. We can go back to old system on season after that, if experiment fails.

RE: Hope it has a slightly improvement in existing matching system (not for 2v2 arranged) - Extreme Ghost - 05-01-2014 12:49 AM

Lol it's called random matchmaking for a reason sounds like you get a random partner XD I don't see the issue if you don't like getting matched up with ppl out of ur skill bracket then find a 2vs2parrtner?
As for arranged vs pre-made I'd much rather keep it the way it is now a lot of randoms actuly have a steady 2vs2 partners that thay serch for games at the same time also I'm always in favor of faster matchmaking the 2vs2 matchmaking takes for ever to find opponets as it is now half the time XD

RE: Hope it has a slightly improvement in existing matching system (not for 2v2 arranged) - terenceshiu2005 - 05-01-2014 01:39 AM

Thanks for your advise! I did have excellent partners before. I just want to try 2v2 random now.

Just a simple question, what is the function of current matching system? Pairing players with similar skill level?

RE: Hope it has a slightly improvement in existing matching system (not for 2v2 arranged) - Demon - 05-01-2014 02:00 AM

2v2 random can be tough sometimes. At master-level, I still get partners who do strange things or play poorly. This has prompted me to play more arranged and less random. I've also noticed it's a lot of the same people, many of whom I do not wish to be paired with.

RE: Hope it has a slightly improvement in existing matching system (not for 2v2 arranged) - Juslas - 05-01-2014 06:01 AM

Random is not random - matchmaking tries to pair you with similar skilled partner and equally skilled opponent!
Small player pool is the trouble and solution: combining doubles pools makes matchmaking feel worse than it is. Ok, after time limit, anyone goes as partner makes things even more unbalanced! Playing against arranged ranking leaders paired with a fluffy...

Match can last 2 months, I can wait another day or two. If 4 day limit is reached - decline (by server). That's option for arranged teams, too!
If team plays one or two simultaneous matches, they can end up having twenty something games a year. Team can have high ranking with very little experience. Doubles rankings are hardly statistically valid.

RE: Hope it has a slightly improvement in existing matching system (not for 2v2 arranged) - Flarp55 - 05-01-2014 09:28 AM

yeah, i recently got paired up with a gifted against the top ranked #1 team. i'm fluffy btw. needless to say, we lost.
outwitters://viewgame?id=ahRzfm91dHdpdHRlcnNnYW1lLWhyZHIVCxIIR2FtZVJvb20YgICAwuTT6AkM

RE: Hope it has a slightly improvement in existing matching system (not for 2v2 arranged) - jchris98 - 05-02-2014 10:44 AM

(05-01-2014 09:28 AM)Bbobb555 Wrote:  yeah, i recently got paired up with a gifted against the top ranked #1 team. i'm fluffy btw. needless to say, we lost.
outwitters://viewgame?id=ahRzfm91dHdpdHRlcnNnYW1lLWhyZHIVCxIIR2FtZVJvb20YgICAwuTT6AkM

You missed a game winning move on turn 14.