One Man Left Studios Community Forums
iPro vs Wolfpack Meeting : iPro discussion - Printable Version

+- One Man Left Studios Community Forums (http://www.onemanleft.com/forums)
+-- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Tournaments (/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: iPro vs Wolfpack Meeting : iPro discussion (/showthread.php?tid=2843)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22

RE: iPro vs Wolfpack (Turn1) - Thrutchy - 09-17-2013 12:44 AM

Let's go ahead and add the sniper option:
c) spawn sniper and move toward middle. heavy to bonus wit.

Here are the reasons I like option B:
- The bonus wit seems like an ideal location for a runner. This position provides great visibility to both sides of the map and this position isn't too exposed. If we don't bring out a runner now, when will we and where? Every other location seems less optimal than this location, I think.
- Healing the runner prevents them spawning a runner and easily killing ours. This will help us maintain reliable vision to make good decisions. But, we should keep a good response handy when they might attack this runner (with a soldier or maybe even a scrambler).
- Heavy on bonus wit is rarely a useful position for the heavy. Typically it will be moved toward the middle later which could have been reached from its initial position, so you'll waste a wit. Also, with feedback, heavy on the bonus can be an attractive scrambling target for our opponent and we'd probably need to retreat it.
- Vision is so important on this map. Many times where I've been attacked on this map and lacked a runner, it was near impossible to make the right defensive decision. This is amplified with FvF.

If we weren't playing FvF, I'd like the sniper opening more. A scrambler can easily destroy a sniper fort. But, I'm still not opposed to this. This is the best time to bring one out since the medic isn't in the way.

My preference order is: B), C), A)

RE: iPro vs Wolfpack (Turn1) - awpertunity - 09-17-2013 07:04 PM

I like the runner on wit space but I don't think we need to boost it. We can put the medic in the hole and boost heavy instead, then maybe spawn and move sniper and boost next then depending on what they do. Even if they do decide to gamble to take our runner with theirs (which I don't see why they would without vision) we can just take it back at no unit disadvantage.

RE: iPro vs Wolfpack (Turn1) - aaronINdayton - 09-17-2013 10:09 PM

I don't think we should spawn any runners. We can easily guess where all their units are. Or at least that's how I think of this map Wink.

My general thoughts about playing feedback on small maps:

Me:It's too small for runners. More soldiers. We're playing feedback, we don't need vision, just soldiers.
Me2: But what if they try to hide something on the side?
Me: Just count wits/units and assume they did.
Me2: What if they surprise us with a big attack that we can't see coming?!
Me: They'd probably block vision before the attack anyway, and even if they don't, let them attack! We'll counter with a scramble and our sea of soldiers will crush them in a counter attack.

RE: iPro vs Wolfpack (Turn1) - terenceshiu2005 - 09-18-2013 12:52 AM

It is not easy to find the absolute opening for this game....

Of course I like my style because I totally agreed with Aaron that runner is not a must in a small map and soldier is a better unit. Also, I don't like too many unboost units. Therefore, if we want to play this game more conservatively, we should choose option A.

However, I prefer to start our game in exact option B this time, then build up our units or scramblers in coming turns. A runner can see the first few movements of our opponent, A boosted runner will not be killed by a runner.

I don't choose option C because it is hard to cover a sniper in feedback game.

Again, it is hard to choose our opening, maybe we can he clear view a couple of turns later.

I will start the game if you guys don't have objection

RE: iPro vs Wolfpack (Turn1) - Thrutchy - 09-18-2013 05:03 AM

We are probably making this turn out to be more than it is. Each of the openings that have been mentioned have there positives and negatives. It really depends on what our opponent does in the next several turns (which we don't know right now). In later turns, we might predict our opponent when they have a clear best response with what they know. But, not on turn 1.

Let me list out the options that have been discussed and add a couple more:
A) medic next to spawn; boost heavy and move to bonus; spawn soldier (5 wits)
B) medic next to spawn; spawn runner, boost, move to bonus (4 wits)
C) heavy to bonus; spawn sniper and move toward middle (5 wits)
D) medic to pocket and boost heavy; spawn runner and move to bonus (4 wits)
E) medic next to spawn and boost heavy; spawn runner and move to bonus (4 wits)
F) spawn runner and move to bonus (2 wits)

My preference order is B), C), F), A), E), D). But, I'm OK with any of these. Each will have advantages under certain circumstances.

I encourage each one of you participating to not quickly dismiss suggestions from others because of your own experience and play style. I think we all have different play patterns which can be powerful if we take advantage. Some turns may be better with one way and other turns another. Also, this forces us to reevaluating each turn, which is a good thing I think.

RE: iPro vs Wolfpack (Turn1) - aaronINdayton - 09-18-2013 05:07 AM

I thought Terence said he's going with B already? I don't believe there are any objections.

RE: iPro vs Wolfpack (Turn1) - Thrutchy - 09-18-2013 05:13 AM

Sounds good to me!

RE: iPro vs Wolfpack (Turn1) - terenceshiu2005 - 09-18-2013 10:58 AM

Not yet started. Just sent the notification.

RE: iPro vs Wolfpack (Turn1) - terenceshiu2005 - 09-18-2013 02:04 PM

Game just started

iPro vs Wolfpack (Turn3) - Sent - terenceshiu2005 - 09-21-2013 06:27 PM

I will limit our discussion time to 3 full days, of course we can send our turn early if all of us are agreed to send Tongue

Map Coordination

iPro: Start Turn 1 (5 wits)
•Moved Medic to H6
•Spawned Runner
•Boosted Runner
•Moved Runner to E8
End Turn 1 (1 wit left)
- End of Turn 1 Screen Shot - Turn 1 discussion

Wolfpack: Start Turn 2 (8 wits)
•Spawned Runner
•Moved Runner to G2
•Moved Medic to D4
•Boosted Heavy
End Turn 2 (4 wits left)
- End of Turn 2 Screen Shot

iPro: Start Turn 3 (7 wits)
•Spawned Runner
•Boosted Heavy
End Turn 3 (5 wit left)
- End of Turn 3 Screen Shot

I suggest to spawn a new runner, move to H2 and kill their runner. Then boost our heavy.