One Man Left Studios Community Forums
Starcraft - Printable Version

+- One Man Left Studios Community Forums (http://www.onemanleft.com/forums)
+-- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Poppycock (/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Starcraft (/showthread.php?tid=1925)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Starcraft - Mag!cGuy - 03-17-2013 11:00 PM

Hey there! I've just discovered (took the free version) starcraft, and I'm thinking about buying it. So I'd like to know, who here plays it? I'm sooo bad atm, I will need practice Big Grin

RE: Starcraft - Gf!sh - 03-17-2013 11:01 PM

I don't.

RE: Starcraft - jbadams01 - 03-18-2013 01:36 AM

Is this on apple products? If it's on the computer then I can't play it

RE: Starcraft - laYahooz - 03-18-2013 05:35 AM

Starcraft is very hard!

Definitely practice before jumping into a real game.

I used to play Starcraft a lot. It's a very very very very very fun game. Like all games blizzard makes - fun! However, I quit the game because I got a little bit bored of playing it and now I can't get back into it because I'm too unskilled Sad

i played the new single player DLC though and played some 2v2 with my friend last weekend(in which we got our asses kicked)

Definitely buy starcraft. And while your at it, buy diablo III!!! Favorite game last year.
(03-18-2013 01:36 AM)jbadams01 Wrote:  Is this on apple products? If it's on the computer then I can't play it

You can get it for mac.

It's an older game kind of, despite it being updated a lot, so most Macs and PCs can run it.

RE: Starcraft - CombatEX - 03-18-2013 07:18 AM

I play it and I know a number of people here that used to play. I'm not aware of anyone else who here who is currently playing it though besides me. The new expansion is great. I didn't really think much of it since it only adds a few units for each race, but now that I'm playing, I see just how much this helped increase variety.

RE: Starcraft - laYahooz - 03-18-2013 07:26 AM

(03-18-2013 07:18 AM)CombatEX Wrote:  I play it and I know a number of people here that used to play. I'm not aware of anyone else who here who is currently playing it though besides me. The new expansion is great. I didn't really think much of it since it only adds a few units for each race, but now that I'm playing, I see just how much this helped increase variety.

You try the new single player yet? That's personally my favorite part.

RE: Starcraft - Mag!cGuy - 03-18-2013 08:41 AM

Well, atm it's so difficult for me that I don't rly have fun ^^ I create units rdomly, create buildings however I feel to, and attack hopin my army will be good enough ^^ I won once against IA Medium but lost twice! He made early rushes and I couldn't defend x) I win easily against IA Easy anyway.

RE: Starcraft - CombatEX - 03-18-2013 10:44 AM

(03-18-2013 07:26 AM)laYahooz Wrote:  
(03-18-2013 07:18 AM)CombatEX Wrote:  I play it and I know a number of people here that used to play. I'm not aware of anyone else who here who is currently playing it though besides me. The new expansion is great. I didn't really think much of it since it only adds a few units for each race, but now that I'm playing, I see just how much this helped increase variety.

You try the new single player yet? That's personally my favorite part.

Yea the new campaign is great! I liked it better than the WoL campaign. I feel like the missions had a lot more variety and it was also cool having a hero unit for most of the time. The mutation choices are pretty cool too.

(03-18-2013 08:41 AM)W1cked21 Wrote:  Well, atm it's so difficult for me that I don't rly have fun ^^ I create units rdomly, create buildings however I feel to, and attack hopin my army will be good enough ^^ I won once against IA Medium but lost twice! He made early rushes and I couldn't defend x) I win easily against IA Easy anyway.

The game is difficult to pick up for sure. Sorry I can't be of more help without actually playing with you in game, but here are some basic starters.

- Build your first supply depot at 10 supply (upper right corner should say 10/11)
- Build your first barracks at 12 supply
- Build your first gas at around 13 or 14 supply
- Upgrade your Command Center to an Orbital Command at 15 supply

10 supply and 12 barracks is an absolute must. The gas timing can vary a lot depending on strategy, but for a beginner just go with gas at around 13 or 14 supply. You should never start your gas (refinery) before starting your barracks (there are some very particular builds that involve this, but you shouldn't worry about them)

- Constantly build workers
- Keep your resources as low as possible (this sounds easy, but it is the most common mistake for new players and is harder than one would think)
- Do not queue up more than 2 units (one being built and one waiting) in a production facility (ideally you don't even want a unit waiting, but that's difficult even for high level players)

If you have extra resources DO NOT queue up a bunch of units in your production. Sure, it looks good as far as your resource count goes as it looks like you're keeping it low, but really you're just fooling yourself. Resources sunk into units waiting in the queue is money that you can't spend now (and unfortunately you don't get any interest =P). Instead of queuing, here are some options

- Build more barracks/factories/starports or add-ons (tech lab or reactor) for existing ones (this is preferable)
- Build an engineering bay or two and start getting upgrades
- Build an armory and get upgrades
- Build another command center (you can build this in your base ahead of time and then float it to an expansion when it is safe. In the meantime you can use it to make SCVs faster and drop MULES)

How much production should you have? Roughly speaking you can support around 3 barracks and a factory/starport per base (depends on what addons you get). If you find yourself with too many resources (called 'floating resources'), but already have the ratio above, build a couple engineering bays first and start some upgrades. Build a Command Center, etc. If you STILL have too many resources, then build additional production. It isn't ideal, but it is better than having all that money sitting around when you could have a much bigger army instead (and which your opponent will have if they are playing well).

Some other random tips:
- You almost always want to use your energy on your Orbital Command for MULES. Calling down supply should only be done in an emergency, but you should try your best to keep up on your supply depot construction so you don't need to
- Your first expansion (second base) should be an Orbital Command, not a Planetary Fortress
- Building a bunch of bunkers/siege tanks/missile turrets and hiding in your base is a losing strategy. This may work against bad opponents who throw their units at your defenses over and over, but a good opponent will ignore you and expand all around the map while you're playing defensively

RE: Starcraft - onealexleft - 03-19-2013 10:49 AM

(03-17-2013 11:00 PM)W1cked21 Wrote:  Hey there! I've just discovered (took the free version) starcraft, and I'm thinking about buying it. So I'd like to know, who here plays it? I'm sooo bad atm, I will need practice Big Grin

This game is my life blood.

RE: Starcraft - GoHeat 3 - 03-19-2013 11:02 AM

(03-19-2013 10:49 AM)onealexleft Wrote:  
(03-17-2013 11:00 PM)W1cked21 Wrote:  Hey there! I've just discovered (took the free version) starcraft, and I'm thinking about buying it. So I'd like to know, who here plays it? I'm sooo bad atm, I will need practice Big Grin

This game is my life blood.

I heard you talking about it on a podcast Alex. That's right, Im so addicted to this game I search for old podcasts to listen too. Just watched the Outwitters trailer yesterday!xD