One Man Left Studios Community Forums
Rising Star Tournament - CONCLUDED - Printable Version

+- One Man Left Studios Community Forums (http://www.onemanleft.com/forums)
+-- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Tournaments (/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: Rising Star Tournament - CONCLUDED (/showthread.php?tid=1730)

RE: Rising Star Tournament - ROUND 1 - Gf!sh - 03-06-2013 01:36 AM

(03-06-2013 01:21 AM)Spidêr Wrote:  
(03-05-2013 11:42 PM)Gfich Wrote:  May I suggest something? Everyone could play two full games (one as P1, one as P2), and in case of a tie, lowest turn count (of the winning game) would determine the winners. This is gonna heavily encourage rushing, which probably will accellerate games, to prevent huge waiting times.
So it would look like this for Group F.

What we could also do, is to make P1/2 reversed from what it was in the original group (in this case, {~BiA85~} would get P1 in both games and lugia77781 would get both P2)

I don't see a problem with this.

Perhaps we could just take this idea of lowest turn count and apply it to the games already played to determine the winners?

That would mean you're the one getting victimized...

RE: Rising Star Tournament - ROUND 1 - jeradvelezdallas - 03-06-2013 03:34 AM

(03-05-2013 11:42 PM)Gfich Wrote:  May I suggest something? Everyone could play two full games (one as P1, one as P2), and in case of a tie, lowest turn count (of the winning game) would determine the winners. This is gonna heavily encourage rushing, which probably will accellerate games, to prevent huge waiting times.

What we could also do, is to make P1/2 reversed from what it was in the original group (in this case, {~BiA85~} would get P1 in both games and lugia77781 would get both P2)

I don't think lowest turn count should win. You would never see that rule in chess. I think we do a three way show down. Yes I know it could end up in another tie but we can just repeat until the tie is broken.

Also to help solve the advantage of going first and picking the level... Player 2 should pick the level and PM Player 1 with his/her choice. Then Player one starts the game.

Another thing to consider if counting moves is points left on base. For example a game where P1 wins with all 5 points still intact on his base is surely better than winning with only 1 point left on his base. You could say that, looking at base points left, the winner of a 5-0 game had more domination than the winner of a 1-0 game.

RE: Rising Star Tournament - ROUND 1 - Eijolend - 03-06-2013 03:41 AM

(03-05-2013 12:52 PM){~BiA85~} Wrote:  What about if allow all of us on to the next round? Would really suck to go 4-1 and not advance. Still keep the 4 groups just have 2 with 7 players.
I think that's a good back-up plan, maybe I should just do that.

However 2 people advancing from a pool of seven is kinda harsh and the Final Group is big enough with 8 people already...

(03-06-2013 01:21 AM)Spidêr Wrote:  Perhaps we could just take this idea of lowest turn count and apply it to the games already played to determine the winners?
I thought about that too, but I'm reluctant to apply that tiebreaker retroactively since you might have played differently, if you knew turn count would be an issue.

(03-06-2013 01:21 AM)Spidêr Wrote:  Also, did lugia win against Slowmike? Has the game started? Haven't heard from either in a while on here and the group page hasn't been updated reflecting the status of their game.
I have heard nothing from either of them.

RE: Rising Star Tournament - ROUND 1 - Spidêr - 03-06-2013 07:30 AM

(03-06-2013 01:36 AM)Gf!sh Wrote:  

Perhaps we could just take this idea of lowest turn count and apply it to the games already played to determine the winners?

Are you sure of that? I know my loss with lugia was short, but weren't my other wins quick?

If such is the case then ya, I guess I wouldn't endorse that. Also, how long are we willing to wait for Lugia to chime in?

RE: Rising Star Tournament - ROUND 1 - Qlearn - 03-06-2013 07:37 AM

Sorry that I didn't post this result earlier
Group D
Tee dubby vs miguelsn
Winner - Tee dubby
http://osn.codepenguin.com/replays/view/ag5vdXR3aXR0ZXJzZ2FtZXIRCxIIR2FtZVJvb20Yyp77Agw

RE: Rising Star Tournament - ROUND 1 - masemase - 03-06-2013 03:12 PM

I'm in Group E and a tie with a 4-1 record. As far as a tiebreaker goes, no protest from me for whatever format, let's just move forward if we're holding the rest of the tournament back in the meantime.

RE: Rising Star Tournament - ROUND 1 - Eijolend - 03-06-2013 06:48 PM

(03-06-2013 03:12 PM)masemase Wrote:  I'm in Group E and a tie with a 4-1 record. As far as a tiebreaker goes, no protest from me for whatever format, let's just move forward if we're holding the rest of the tournament back in the meantime.
We're not really holding up anything, since a lot of the games are still ongoing and the deadline is still miles away.

RE: Rising Star Tournament - ROUND 1 - Gf!sh - 03-07-2013 01:10 AM

(03-06-2013 07:30 AM)Spidêr Wrote:  
(03-06-2013 01:36 AM)Gf!sh Wrote:  

Are you sure of that? I know my loss with lugia was short, but weren't my other wins quick?

If such is the case then ya, I guess I wouldn't endorse that. Also, how long are we willing to wait for Lugia to chime in?

Looking at OSN:
lugia77781 v Spidêr: lugia wins in 8 turns;
Spidêr v {~BiA78~}: Spidêr wins in 19 turns;
lugia77781 v {~BiA78~}: {~BiA78~} wins in 10 turns.

Turns in lost game - turns in won game:

{~BiA78~}: 9
lugia77781: 2
Spidêr: -11

Counting other wins is gonna be trouble, so I won't do that.

But, back on topic. I still lobby for the tiebreak w/ turn count idea. It doesn't seem like there is any other reasonably sane idea (base health is far worse).

RE: Rising Star Tournament - ROUND 1 - Mentisblack - 03-08-2013 12:01 AM

Hope I'm doing this right.

Group G

MentisBlack vs Dark259
MentisBlack Wins
outwitters://viewgame?id=ag5vdXR3aXR0ZXJzZ2FtZXIRCxIIR2FtZVJvb20YxtvtAgw.

MentisBlack vs Jfed-8
MentisBlack wins
outwitters://viewgame?id=ag5vdXR3aXR0ZXJzZ2FtZXIRCxIIR2FtZVJvb20Y_av1Agw.

Mentisblack vs Outwitter11
MentisBlack wins
outwitters://viewgame?id=ag5vdXR3aXR0ZXJzZ2FtZXIRCxIIR2FtZVJvb20Y7dXqAgw.

MentisBlack vs Bundyrum1977
MentisBlack wins
outwitters://viewgame?id=ag5vdXR3aXR0ZXJzZ2FtZXIRCxIIR2FtZVJvb20YpNb0Agw.

MentisBlack vs _Trione
MentisBlack wins
outwitters://viewgame?id=ag5vdXR3aXR0ZXJzZ2FtZXIRCxIIR2FtZVJvb20Yh_L5Agw.

RE: Rising Star Tournament - ROUND 1 - Spidêr - 03-08-2013 10:20 AM

(03-06-2013 03:41 AM)Eijolend Wrote:  
(03-06-2013 01:21 AM)Spidêr Wrote:  Also, did lugia win against Slowmike? Has the game started? Haven't heard from either in a while on here and the group page hasn't been updated reflecting the status of their game.
I have heard nothing from either of them.

So {~BiA85~} and I move forward? Big Grin