One Man Left Studios Community Forums
SHARE YOUR REPLAYS :D - Printable Version

+- One Man Left Studios Community Forums (http://www.onemanleft.com/forums)
+-- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Outwitters (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+--- Thread: SHARE YOUR REPLAYS :D (/showthread.php?tid=147)

RE: SHARE YOUR REPLAYS :D - DoubtingTobin - 12-16-2012 03:22 PM

I just finished my first game against a Super-Titan, and I wanted to commemorate the occasion by posting it here.

Emuchu(A) vs. DoubtingTobin(A)

I've also wanted for a while to post a complete analysis of a game, and since this one is short as well as historic, it seems like a good candidate. This is way too much analysis for a game of Outwitters, but I wanted to do it, so here it is. Maybe it's good for a few minutes of entertainment.

Turn 2 - I take the upper-middle wit spot with a runner for two reasons. First, I want to know what Enemy used to take his own middle spot. Second, taking my spot with a more valuable unit makes it vulnerable to Enemy's heavy if it advanced on turn 1. I learn that there is a runner on Enemy's wit spot, and also that his sniper got boosted and advanced. That takes 3 wits, and capturing the upper wit spot took an additional one, so that runner must be the one from the bottom of the map, not a new one. I have perfect information. Efficient scouting!

I tag the runner with my own to protect my healer. Plus, I'm okay with the idea of a runner war, since that will keep Enemy's back door undefended and possibly give my sniper time to advance. I jump my healer back and boost my sniper, in order to support that plan.

Turn 3 - Enemy re-occupies his wit spot with a runner, probably to maintain map vision. I can't see his next moves, but because I can still see so much of the map myself and the lower spawn spot has already been used, I figure there's probably something spawning on the upper spot and getting boosted by the adjacent healer.

Turn 4 - This is my smart thing I did. Instead of simply throwing another runner at the lower-middle wit spot, I boost it first. I'm goading Enemy to occupy the wit spot with his heavy or at least a soldier, so I can blast it with my sniper. Since I've never played against Emuchu before, I figure he might underestimate me and think I made a mistake by boosting the runner. If the gambit doesn't work, I'm only wasting a single wit.

I advance my sniper upward, because he might have to play defense on the upper map if Plan A doesn't work out, and pop a soldier into range of the wit spot I'm threatening.

Turn 5 - Success! Enemy does occupy his wit spot with the heavy. Because my runner is still providing excellent map vision, I see Enemy's attack plan on the upper map: two boosted soldiers and an unboosted one. Because this plan takes up all my opponent's resources minus 2, I know he can't have a significant defense on the lower map (plus I know every unit he's made down there). This is therefore a racing situation, and I'm one move closer to his base. My best option is to commit to my rush strategy and win by one turn.

Turn 6 - I can't do everything I want to this turn if I make a new runner, so I just use the one from my own wit spot. I immediately discover the product of Enemy's two missing wit points: a runner just chilling next to the wit spot, with its belly exposed. I'm not sure what the purpose of that runner is. It's in a good spot to be invisible to my own runner while still threatening my healer, but the result of that positioning is that my soldier gets to spear it for free.

I want Enemy to have to commit resources to dislodging my soldier from his wit spot -- at least more than a single sniper -- so I jump my healer over and boost it before I zap Enemy's heavy and claim the spot. Knowing there will be a soldier on my own wit spot next turn, I move the sniper into a position where it can attack it next turn. To stay ahead in the race, I need my initial soldier to start traveling along the bottom edge of the map, so I do that.

Turn 7 - At this point, the game might still be salvageable for Enemy if he abandons his attack and orders his soldiers on defense. Instead, all the soldiers advance on my base and he only has enough wits left to spawn an additional soldier.

Turn 8 - I had to think carefully to make sure I had a lock on the game after this move. I wouldn't be able to pry out a soldier from my back door, so I have to represent lethal damage on turn 10, while making it impossible for Enemy to kill me on turn 9. I make the bare minimum of moves necessary.

Enemy will only have 6 wits next turn, meaning if I kill the soldier on my wit spot and plant my heavy in a place where the other soldiers can't attack my base, he can't possibly start an assault while still effectively defending himself. I play this turn more cautiously than I actually need to, because I've lost my upper map vision, and I don't want to lose to some random unit I haven't accounted for.

I attack the base with my forward soldier, put my sneaky soldier in range of the base, and plant my runner in his back door, representing a quick 3 damage next turn even if my other soldier dies. Enemy could throw a runner down there to muck up that plan, but he doesn't have the wits available for both that and an attack on my base.

Turn 9 - I don't think Enemy has any real options here, but it's curious that he goes ahead with the base assault before checking out the situation downstairs. As soon as he sees I have a soldier in position to attack his back door, he concedes. Victory!

Post-game thoughts - I won thanks to three main factors. First, efficient scouting. I had nearly perfect information about my opponent's units and vulnerabilities for the entire game. I probably wouldn't have attempted a rush, except that I knew from the beginning that his back door was missing a runner, so I could control the bottom half of the map more easily.

Second, I controlled the bottom half of the map :-) Boosting my runner on turn 4 in order to lure my opponent's heavy into danger was probably the deciding move of the game. It created a second security vulnerability and therefore, the opportunity for me to ignore my own defense because my starting heavy and runner would provide a natural roadblock, putting me ahead in the race my one move.

Third, my opponent committed to his own attack plan without realizing that my strategy would win the game first. I assume that his opening has been successful before, and there aren't many counterattacks that would simply outrace it. There were several opportunities for him to abandon his attack and repurpose his units to defending his base, but I think he figured till the end that first-turn advantage had put him ahead. A bit of overconfidence, maybe.

That's the end of a long post. Thanks for indulging me and may all your games be fun.

RE: SHARE YOUR REPLAYS :D - Emuchu - 12-16-2012 08:00 PM

(12-16-2012 03:22 PM)DoubtingTobin Wrote:  I just finished my first game against a Super-Titan, and I wanted to commemorate the occasion by posting it here.

-snip-

Now my shame is laid out for the world to see! I should probably explain my reckless behavior. My intent was a standard Foundry-rush to my opponent's backdoor. The usual response to this rush setup is to push your Sniper up to your base to help with defense, but in Tobin's case, he decided to drop everything and storm my front door. I wondered whether I should play it cautiously and react to the Boosted Soldier running at my door, or if I could win the base-rushing race. Instead of trying it out in Pass-'n-Play, like I probably should have, I opted to just go for it and push my Soldiers to his base to see what would happen.

... and as you all now know, it didn't end well! Getting my Heavy shot to death by the opposing Sniper is something that I usually let happen, since I can usually win the base-rushing race, but I didn't anticipate how much trouble that one additional Boosted Soldier would be! I'll be making some changes to my Foundry tactics!

Now I want a rematch!

RE: SHARE YOUR REPLAYS :D - DoubtingTobin - 12-17-2012 01:14 AM

(12-16-2012 08:00 PM)Emuchu Wrote:  
(12-16-2012 03:22 PM)DoubtingTobin Wrote:  I just finished my first game against a Super-Titan, and I wanted to commemorate the occasion by posting it here.

-snip-

Now my shame is laid out for the world to see! I should probably explain my reckless behavior. My intent was a standard Foundry-rush to my opponent's backdoor. The usual response to this rush setup is to push your Sniper up to your base to help with defense, but in Tobin's case, he decided to drop everything and storm my front door. I wondered whether I should play it cautiously and react to the Boosted Soldier running at my door, or if I could win the base-rushing race. Instead of trying it out in Pass-'n-Play, like I probably should have, I opted to just go for it and push my Soldiers to his base to see what would happen.

... and as you all now know, it didn't end well! Getting my Heavy shot to death by the opposing Sniper is something that I usually let happen, since I can usually win the base-rushing race, but I didn't anticipate how much trouble that one additional Boosted Soldier would be! I'll be making some changes to my Foundry tactics!

Now I want a rematch!

I don't think I've played enough games to have a standard response to anything. Sometimes that means I get crushed by a strong opening that I needed to counter in a specific way, but sometimes it's an advantage. I've actually never seen that three-soldier rush before, so I didn't know I needed to be preparing for it.

RE: SHARE YOUR REPLAYS :D - =) Random Task (= - 12-17-2012 06:40 AM

Gifted league win playing Adorables against Scallywags

My opponent spawns a bombshell but positions it poorly. I keep him busy enough using mobi to secure a safe win.

RE: SHARE YOUR REPLAYS :D - laYahooz - 12-17-2012 07:05 AM

12 turn mobi win
outwitters://viewgame?id=ag5vdXR3aXR0ZXJzZ2FtZXIRCxIIR2FtZVJvb20Y65CWAgw
A good game to watch if your in the lower leagues and want to learn how to do quick mobi wins. A bad game to watch if your a master or ST because I'm a mobi n00b

RE: SHARE YOUR REPLAYS :D - lawtai - 12-17-2012 11:57 PM

Massive bombshell deployment by my opponent. All in the wrong spot though.

Replay

RE: SHARE YOUR REPLAYS :D - BuzzleBee123 - 12-18-2012 05:31 AM

[url=]outwitters://viewgame?id=ag5vdXR3aXR0ZXJzZ2FtZXIRCxIIR2FtZVJvb20Y6pGTAgw[url/ Sramble Rush]

RE: SHARE YOUR REPLAYS :D - =) Random Task (= - 12-18-2012 06:00 AM

(12-17-2012 11:57 PM)lawtai Wrote:  Massive bombshell deployment by my opponent. All in the wrong spot though.

Replay

Thats a great game! Your first aproach at the bs was a little ill fated but you saw the weak spot and executed a perfect mobi assault!
(12-18-2012 05:31 AM)BuzzleBee123 Wrote:  Sramble Rush

Hi buzzleBee, i repaired your replay link. Very nice scrambler action!!

RE: SHARE YOUR REPLAYS :D - lawtai - 12-18-2012 06:06 AM

Yea, my first approach got screwed up when I miss clicked the wrong location for my mobi...
Yea, my first approach got screwed up when I miss clicked the wrong location for my mobi...

RE: SHARE YOUR REPLAYS :D - =) Random Task (= - 12-18-2012 06:26 AM

Heres a short game on Long Nine that went well due to small gains that lead to a significant unit and position advantage.