One Man Left Studios Community Forums
SHARE YOUR REPLAYS :D - Printable Version

+- One Man Left Studios Community Forums (http://www.onemanleft.com/forums)
+-- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Outwitters (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+--- Thread: SHARE YOUR REPLAYS :D (/showthread.php?tid=147)

RE: SHARE YOUR REPLAYS :D - =) Random Task (= - 11-11-2012 04:46 AM

Hi there. I am struggling to improve in 1v1 gifted league. Here is a recent game on sharkfood island both players play Scallywags. I thought I reached a slight advantage in the midplay but still lost in the end as my opponent managed to position his units more efficiently. I would be very interested in your tips and hints where I made my mistakes.

outwitters://viewgame?id=ag5vdXR3aXR0ZXJzZ2FtZXIRCxIIR2FtZVJvb20Yw-nsAQw
(11-11-2012 01:34 AM)Necrocat219 Wrote:  For anyone who's interested, here's a game of me using the scrambler once early to take out 2 of his most important units as P2 on glitch and then slowly pressing my advantage. At the end I use a scrambler to lock him down and seal the win. I though it was a fun game Smile

Very cool scrambler use in the endgame! Thanks for sharing!

RE: SHARE YOUR REPLAYS :D - Necrocat219 - 11-11-2012 05:36 AM

Now there were non-optimal moves that were slightly iffy by both of you but the placement of your 2hp runner lead to him gaining multiple advantages:
1) you wasted a wit, 2 wits to move the runner 5 spaces
2)The medic is the most valuable unit to kill in the game. He also made you lose a bonus wit and forced you to recapture it, putting your 2nd medic in a not ideal place. He had 4 hp soldiers whilst you didn't in the short term

And now I have to nom so sorry I can't analyze the rest right now Tongue

RE: SHARE YOUR REPLAYS :D - laYahooz - 11-12-2012 01:06 PM

Here's one of my better plays with scramblers. was p1 but my opponent saved up a lot of wits for an attack. I was able to use my scramblers to out produce him in the end though. It's only a 28 turn game on pekaboo.
outwitters://viewgame?id=ag5vdXR3aXR0ZXJzZ2FtZXIRCxIIR2FtZVJvb20Y4a7vAQw

RE: SHARE YOUR REPLAYS :D - =) Random Task (= - 11-15-2012 03:59 AM

Hi all, here is a nice comeback win with me playing Feedback versus a Scallywags player on Peakaboo:
outwitters://viewgame?id=ag5vdXR3aXR0ZXJzZ2FtZXIRCxIIR2FtZVJvb20YsZTqAQw
It is a regular league game in gifted league, so I guess Masters and super titans will certainly still be able to point me to things I should have handled better...

I had a really bumpy start losing my medic early and struggling to fight off an early attack on my base. Which I invited by suboptimal early play. However I managed to remove his bombshell in the center of the map with the help of a scrambler and also in the end game the scrambler was my matchwinner against his dial bombshell setup.

Pls be invited to critique!

(11-12-2012 01:06 PM)laYahooz Wrote:  Here's one of my better plays with scramblers. was p1 but my opponent saved up a lot of wits for an attack. I was able to use my scramblers to out produce him in the end though. It's only a 28 turn game on pekaboo.
outwitters://viewgame?id=ag5vdXR3aXR0ZXJzZ2FtZXIRCxIIR2FtZVJvb20Y4a7vAQw

Nicely played laYahooz! Thanks for sharing!

RE: SHARE YOUR REPLAYS :D - laYahooz - 11-17-2012 11:25 AM

(11-15-2012 03:59 AM)Random Task Wrote:  Hi all, here is a nice comeback win with me playing Feedback versus a Scallywags player on Peakaboo:
outwitters://viewgame?id=ag5vdXR3aXR0ZXJzZ2FtZXIRCxIIR2FtZVJvb20YsZTqAQw
It is a regular league game in gifted league, so I guess Masters and super titans will certainly still be able to point me to things I should have handled better...

I had a really bumpy start losing my medic early and struggling to fight off an early attack on my base. Which I invited by suboptimal early play. However I managed to remove his bombshell in the center of the map with the help of a scrambler and also in the end game the scrambler was my matchwinner against his dial bombshell setup.

Pls be invited to critique!
You beat a very skilled opponent as p2, pretty impressive play. Though I'm in gifted as well, I think I can point out some of my opinions on your play that may help.
Turn 10: I would of placed the scrambler right in front of the soldier but that's just my opinion I guess
Turn 28: I not a fan of this move Sad. You knew you had the advantage so you should of been a more aggressive! I would have immediately set up my runner to take the spawn space and medic next turn (which you did later). Yu could of then see that he had 1 unit with your runners and move your soldier and heavy up AGGRESSIVELY (so I wouldn't have spawned another runner).

You played pretty good the rest of the game given the conditions. Really liked the scrambled BS Tongue. I personally would scouted a little more. Another tip, that comes from blckface, is to not heal your soldiers to much. I mean, healing them is good but don't get to paranoid because saving 1 wit by not healing can help.

Here's a good game with another scrambler lol. My opponent made some weird choices early on but I still thought it was a good win XD only around 30 turns
outwitters://viewgame?id=ag5vdXR3aXR0ZXJzZ2FtZXIRCxIIR2FtZVJvb20YwKbsAQw
I really Wait to spawn a scrambler in this game. I usually spawn one earlier but my opponent was pretty aggressive so I had to save my wits to have 10 per turn. I purposely didn't kill the sniper on turn 29 because I planned to scramble him (spoilers)

RE: SHARE YOUR REPLAYS :D - =) Random Task (= - 11-17-2012 05:20 PM

Hi laYahooz,
Many thanks for watching and analyzing. I agree with your comment on move 10 although i think it wouldn't have made much difference. The scrambler was lost.
I also agree on suboptimal play at turn 28. actually it akmost mirrors the mistakes i made with my very first turns in that game....
As for healing soldiers. You are right i am a bit paranoid about loosing units. And it is great to be pointed to the fact this may often not be the optimal tactic. Particularly if the action is close to the spawn point. On a one spawn point map however it may be more important to heal than on others. I remember games where ilost with 10 or 11 unused wits because i had no units to move left and could only spawn 1 unit per turn... Very frustrating.

Will watch the game you posted later! Looking forward to it!

RE: SHARE YOUR REPLAYS :D - Hunter - 11-17-2012 06:03 PM

I really enjoyed this match but what could I have done better

outwitters://viewgame?id=ag5vdXR3aXR0ZXJzZ2FtZXIRCxIIR2FtZVJvb20YqoPxAQw

I was adorables by the way

RE: SHARE YOUR REPLAYS :D - =) Random Task (= - 11-17-2012 06:35 PM

To laYahooz:
Indeed a nice game. You had a very agressive first two thirds of the game going back and forth. Very different from how my games usually look. The scrambler action in the end was really cool. I like to play feedback more and more out of pure jox to use the scrambler Smile
(11-17-2012 06:03 PM)Hunter Wrote:  I really enjoyed this match but what could I have done better

I was adorables by the way

Hunter, for increased convenience put your replay links in url tags....
Did it for you here.

To your game Hunter: That was a weird game to watch. Gongratulations you won. However there were quite a number of quite unorthodox moves both players made. Particularly the ones where several rounds in a row you moved 3hp solders into the range of the same sniper which could have been taken out by a runner easily. Your opponent did the same on the other end of the map.... Scouting is probably the most important thing which would improve your gameplay in my opinion. This includes memorising the positions of your opponents units positions from the replay before your turn starts.

RE: SHARE YOUR REPLAYS :D - laYahooz - 11-18-2012 10:21 AM

(11-17-2012 05:20 PM)Random Task Wrote:  As for healing soldiers. You are right i am a bit paranoid about loosing units. And it is great to be pointed to the fact this may often not be the optimal tactic. Particularly if the action is close to the spawn point. On a one spawn point map however it may be more important to heal than on others. I remember games where ilost with 10 or 11 unused wits because i had no units to move left and could only spawn 1 unit per turn... Very frustrating
Yeah you do have more wits to heal with 1 spawn maps. Just depends on the situation. I usually don't heal my soldiers because I like to save wits for attacking, especially as p2 because I need every advantage I can get. I don't think I even moved my medic on that game I posted lol. If I were playing scallywags, I would turtle, especially as p2. Therefore, I would heal my soldiers.
In addition, I think it's good to realize that it costs 3 wits to spawn a runner and kill a soldier so it's not like your opponent is getting an advantage, considering he has no runners already in play (which a scallywag turtler usually doesn't). I think when to and not to heal is a pretty debatable topic. I would definitely want to hear from more good players about this

RE: SHARE YOUR REPLAYS :D - Necrocat219 - 11-18-2012 12:00 PM

I heal my soldiers because of the predeployed heavy, bombshells, runners and snipers, the last one being very important to my personal style of play; having 4 hp soldiers means it gives me much more flexibility in combatting snipers which are very efficient against 3hp soldiers. Plus, I like to dive close to the enemy spawn to take out the medic so it costs the opponent extra to take you out - 1 wit to heal, 2 to remove that 1 extra point of health.

However when I remove the heavy I calm down greatly on medic usage and start planning on what the most important objectives are.

@Random Task that was a good game to watch Smile liked the scrambler plays and you really know how to use the sniper. concerning the medic 2 things; I think your opening move could be improved. When choosing which unit to capture the wit space with I 'think' that it's best to capture with the heavy; then if need be you can use the soldier as a blockade to protect the precious medic. Explain to me if I am wrong though ;P capturing it with the soldier seems fine if my opponent doesn't threaten my medic.
Also I know it was to fit the situation but you moved your medic around quite a lot which I think wasted 2-3 wits? Healing the heavy from 4 to 5 for 2 wits is quite inefficient and a bad deal