One Man Left Studios Community Forums
Winter World Cup WINNER - poweewee (Philippines) - Printable Version

+- One Man Left Studios Community Forums (http://www.onemanleft.com/forums)
+-- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Tournaments (/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: Winter World Cup WINNER - poweewee (Philippines) (/showthread.php?tid=1431)

RE: 2013 Winter World Cup - QUALIFIERS - Terpfan1001 - 02-01-2013 12:11 PM

I think that plan is good at least runner ups can keep playing

RE: 2013 Winter World Cup - QUALIFIERS - lawtai - 02-01-2013 12:25 PM

Sounds good to me

RE: 2013 Winter World Cup - QUALIFIERS - amoffett11 - 02-01-2013 01:36 PM

(02-01-2013 12:00 PM)awpertunity Wrote:  As for people claiming that they want top 2 advancing because this will be more interesting and allow more participation from lower leagues in the final bracket, I would argue it is the exact opposite. If player A has a 40% chance of winning against player B, what is the best chance of player A moving on? Playing only one game. The current setup actually stirs things up a lot more, rather than giving the ST's who are expected to win, more chances. The more games player A and B play against each other, the higher the chance that B moves on. There are already a good number of groups in which the top seed in the group has lost a game, which means there are lower league players that are going to advance.

As for the rules changing with number of signups, no, this did not happen in public. I let Gfich know in confidence what my original plan was expecting a maximum of 144 players. But when the Qualifier rules were originally posted and I announced it at the top of the original post, it clearly said only the top player of each group would advance. As for people saying that the argument that rules should not be changed after the tournament has started is invalid because the post said "The tournament officially starts on February 1st", this is just a technicality and I am not even going to address it. The tournament has clearly started, the time limit for when games should be started was February 1st. I'm sorry I forgot to get my lawyer to look through my rules before publishing them.

In response to the first paragraph, you are actually incorrect. Lets pretend that player A indeed has a 40 percent chance of winning against player B. Under the current format, player A will advance to the elimination bracket 40 percent of the time. Now, if you have two people advancing from each group, player A advances to the next stage, where he will now face another player B, and have another 40 percent chance at beating Player A. Under this format, player A still has a 40 percent chance of advancing to the elimination round. Your mistake in reasoning comes when you assume that player A would have to beat player B twice, therefore .40 x .40 equals a 16 percent chance, but this isn't true, player A only has to beat player B once, in the second game. The Super Titan is not getting more chances, he is getting the same amount: one; its just coming in game two and not game one. The first game has no effect on the outcome because it doesn't matter, player A will advance regardless. However, one could argue that in the second format (where two players advance) Player As chances will actually improve (having gained experience from the first game) and also that in the second format you have more player As, which could allow for more to advance to the elimination bracket. This is what people were arguing for, not for giving everyone a better chance at winning the whole thing, but for allowing more people to participate longer. All that being said, the proposed change does just that, so I'm not complaining.

As for the second paragraph, this is at least partially directed at me seeing as I brought up the February thing, and I wasn't trying to lawyer you into changing the rules, I was just pointing out that the start of the tournament caught everyone off guard; in the future it'd probably be better to have a period of about a week in between finalizing rules and everything and starting matches, for situations just like this one.

RE: 2013 Winter World Cup - QUALIFIERS - mx666 - 02-01-2013 04:03 PM

Still no invitation from user Margegosh - any1 from group 26 got the contact with him?

RE: 2013 Winter World Cup - QUALIFIERS - harvarnold - 02-01-2013 09:37 PM

Thank you awpertunity for working this out, that does seem like as fair a solution as is possible at this point.

RE: 2013 Winter World Cup - QUALIFIERS - Jakeyboy20 - 02-01-2013 11:39 PM

Awpertunity that speech was simply beautiful brought tears to my eyes. Seriously though that was awesome

RE: 2013 Winter World Cup - QUALIFIERS - sambita - 02-02-2013 01:49 AM

Still awaiting challenge from ShinyLizard666...only game I have left to play.

RE: 2013 Winter World Cup - QUALIFIERS - lawtai - 02-02-2013 04:48 AM

bump?

RE: 2013 Winter World Cup - QUALIFIERS - connor34911 - 02-02-2013 06:58 AM

Random question- if two people in a group tie (5-1, 5-1) the top seed goes to the head to head winner. Correct?

RE: 2013 Winter World Cup - QUALIFIERS - simp1et0n - 02-02-2013 10:43 AM

Where do we post results?