One Man Left Studios Community Forums
Two Mans Left 2v2 Tournament (CHAMPIONS: HOLYSAB & PHARMAFAN!) - Printable Version

+- One Man Left Studios Community Forums (http://www.onemanleft.com/forums)
+-- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Tournaments (/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: Two Mans Left 2v2 Tournament (CHAMPIONS: HOLYSAB & PHARMAFAN!) (/showthread.php?tid=1341)

RE: Two Mans Left 2v2 Tournament (W round 5; L round 4) - Juslas - 06-02-2013 05:28 PM

Pharmafan & HolySab victories at Sugar Rock and Mechanism were game of the week good!

On Mechanism, that their started, the match was probably the first time their opponent had to defend FTA. Gurleyman posted that tournament game was their 4th or 5th. And we know that top ranked teams do get FTA quite often ( unintentionally ) because the way matchmaking is done.

I guess Pharmafan & HolySab choose Sugar Rock. Map was new and it is defendable similarly to Candy Core Mine. But being a new map, teams haven't mastered their strategies on it yet. To me Sugar Rock is still a mystery, games either go to standstill or are over in a blitz.

RE: Two Mans Left 2v2 Tournament (W round 5; L round 4) - Pharmafan - 06-03-2013 12:37 AM

Thanks, Juslas!

Yeah, we chose Sugar Rock as well. We selected both maps just out of the lack of experience every team had at the moment the games started. We thought that could be an opportunity.....like you assumed... Smile

RE: Two Mans Left 2v2 Tournament (W round 5; L round 4) - laYahooz - 06-03-2013 08:13 AM

Knew we would lose this one: outwitters://viewgame?id=ag5vdXR3aXR0ZXJzZ2FtZXIRCxIIR2FtZVJvb20YlfrBAww

Other 2 are still ongoing. I (think) they'll end soon though.

RE: Two Mans Left 2v2 Tournament (W round 5; L round 4) - GreatGonzales - 06-03-2013 10:52 AM

Thanks for the update; good luck.

RE: Two Mans Left 2v2 Tournament (W round 5; L round 4) - GreatGonzales - 06-09-2013 12:20 PM

I'd like to get input from everyone still in the tournament. You have probably seen this thread in which burnodrod and mastercaster have demonstrated a very powerful rush for P1/P3 on Machination. This is obviously relevant to this tournament since teams are allowed to select any map they want. So, if this is indeed an unbeatable rush, it would effectively give an auto-win to the team who goes first and selects Machination.

Now, I personally believe that there has GOT to be some response that prevents burnocaster. But if it exists it's probably going to put p2 at a disadvantage due to the weird positioning or whatever required to stop the rush.

My question is this: should we say that Machination is not available to teams selecting map AND taking first turn? Or, should we chalk this up to first turn advantage and let what happens happen. I am just worried that we are now going to see a lot of burnocaster in this tournament.

Thoughts?

RE: Two Mans Left 2v2 Tournament (W round 5; L round 4) - Juslas - 06-09-2013 04:31 PM

Nature of this tournament has been:
"The game is what it is"
FTA has been addressed "third map is chosen by team playing as p2/p4"
2-1 is a win none the less and it has always been uphill battle against FTA.

Bramble changes were implemented by OneManLeft the way that even ongoing matches were effected.
Maybe there finally is coming 2v2 wits distribution fix by OneManLeft - that's what active forum members should promote.

RE: Two Mans Left 2v2 Tournament (W round 5; L round 4) - PowerCrazy - 06-11-2013 05:01 AM

Machination isn't a good map in general, and I think just banning it outright is the best choice. BB is pretty bad as well, but it isn't outright broken so I guess it can stay. I'd rather see more of the newer maps. In general Arcospire/Candy Core Mine/Sugar Rock/Mechanism should be the maps played.

RE: Two Mans Left 2v2 Tournament (W round 5; L round 4) - ==(888)== - 06-12-2013 07:36 AM

What does FTA stand for?

RE: Two Mans Left 2v2 Tournament (W round 5; L round 4) - GreatGonzales - 06-12-2013 07:37 AM

FTA = First Turn Advantage. Has been addressed in 1v1 via +3 wits for P2, but not for 2v2.

RE: Two Mans Left 2v2 Tournament (W round 5; L round 4) - Juslas - 06-12-2013 07:34 PM

Blitz Beach and Machination are really hard to beat as p2/p4.
Same goes to Acrospire and Mechanism and all the rest of the maps - when you are against equally skilled team.
Defense is everything against FTA - with FTA games are won in less than 40 turns, against FTA it takes easily over 60 turns. Or over 100 turns and you still lose - opponent gradually building on top of that wits and unit advantage.