One Man Left Studios Community Forums
Two Mans Left 2v2 Tournament (CHAMPIONS: HOLYSAB & PHARMAFAN!) - Printable Version

+- One Man Left Studios Community Forums (http://www.onemanleft.com/forums)
+-- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Tournaments (/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: Two Mans Left 2v2 Tournament (CHAMPIONS: HOLYSAB & PHARMAFAN!) (/showthread.php?tid=1341)

RE: Two Mans Left 2v2 Tournament (W round 4; L round 3) - Pharmafan - 05-30-2013 08:13 AM

Thx, we already started game 2. Game 3 will be on SugarRock!

RE: Two Mans Left 2v2 Tournament (W round 4; L round 3) - GreatGonzales - 05-30-2013 11:39 AM

Well, all very exciting, the tournament has seen some significant upsets. Now that both 1 and 2 seeds are in the loser's bracket, it guarantees that some other team will at least make it to the finals. Will be interesting to watch!

RE: Two Mans Left 2v2 Tournament (W round 5; L round 4) - burnodrod - 05-31-2013 12:19 AM

What's interesting - all top3 teams have already lost in the champ. Probably, they are not so cool? %)

RE: Two Mans Left 2v2 Tournament (W round 5; L round 4) - GreatGonzales - 05-31-2013 12:48 AM

Quote:What's interesting - all top3 teams have already lost in the champ. Probably, they are not so cool? %)

Top 3 in overall rank you mean - yeah, it is interesting.

I think that in a tournament like this you have two things going on: the people high ranked in league have more to lose, and maybe they take their skill advantage for granted.

Lower ranked league players have more to prove and so they try really hard - a tournament match has greater single impact than a one-among-many league match.

I think that one of the biggest factors for succeeding in league is consistency of play. But in tournament, you only need to put effort into a finite number of games, therefore the average quality of play will probably be higher. That is - assuming that people sufficiently care about the outcome of the tournament! Smile

RE: Two Mans Left 2v2 Tournament (W round 5; L round 4) - Juslas - 05-31-2013 11:08 PM

This tournament had all the best teams attending. Game rules have changed and new good teams have been formed... new maps have been introduced and most of us have improved as 2v2 players.
Still to me this is the ultimate test of team play - world championship tournament!

Rules are fair, double knockout is generous - winner will be a true champion. There are ranking leaders, money win leaders etc. but tournament winners are the ones that do make it to the history. There are no Outwitters grand slam tournaments, but to me this is better: world championship doubles tournament 2013.

RE: Two Mans Left 2v2 Tournament (W round 5; L round 4) - GreatGonzales - 06-01-2013 12:20 AM

Some notable exceptions to participation: sir3 & p1noyboypj/dharma and Alvendor & Natichux. But yes overall I am thrilled with the turnout of high ranked teams.

RE: Two Mans Left 2v2 Tournament (W round 5; L round 4) - Juslas - 06-01-2013 02:50 AM

They are now at top 6, but tournament was set up before top 200 rankings were made public. Their placement were 8th, 10th and 15th when first ranking list came out.
Not all top 20 tennis players make it to Wimbledon either. And if tournament takes half a year to be completed there sure will be changes in rankings.

There are also new doubles teams and some who changed their Game Center ids since tournament started who I miss on this first arranged doubles tournament. But there will be tournament after this one surely.

For teams that play very little, one match policy teams, tournament like this is a great place to face top teams. And double elimination is generous, current top 3 is still live at the tournament!

RE: Two Mans Left 2v2 Tournament (W round 5; L round 4) - Hifimatlock - 06-01-2013 03:17 AM

We didn't get to play this tournament. Hopefully there is another tournament after this one Smile

RE: Two Mans Left 2v2 Tournament (W round 5; L round 4) - GreatGonzales - 06-01-2013 03:43 AM

If there's enough interest, I'd be happy to run another tournament. However it will probably have to be smaller than this one.

RE: Two Mans Left 2v2 Tournament (W round 5; L round 4) - GreatGonzales - 06-01-2013 05:38 AM

Another interesting thing about this tournament: Since it is taking so long to complete, teams that are still remaining must necessarily be able to keep up with the changing strategies, especially in regard to the two new maps Sugar Rock and Mechanism. The victors of this tournament will have to be as skilled as they are vigilant.