One Man Left Studios Community Forums
Game balancing - Printable Version

+- One Man Left Studios Community Forums (http://www.onemanleft.com/forums)
+-- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Outwitters (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+--- Thread: Game balancing (/showthread.php?tid=1337)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

RE: Game balancing - ImperialSun - 01-09-2013 06:01 AM

(01-09-2013 05:54 AM)Necrocat219 Wrote:  
(01-07-2013 03:11 AM)burnodrod Wrote:  
(01-06-2013 10:25 AM)Necrocat219 Wrote:  Aha! I completely forgot the +1 wit per kill only making it a major boost for the Mobi.

Really? I always thought that +1 wit per kill boosted mostly the bombshell. Since now it's the only unit that can EARN wits! Up to 5 wits per shoot earning Smile

[Image: IMG_3418.png]

LOL

If OneManLeft announced that they were making a unit that could kill the base in one shot? Yeah, until they reveal that it has a movement of 1 and isn't a ranged unit. There are various ways you can take a look at a situation, but some situations just never get reached.
I'll just put my 2 cents in that I will be perfectly happy if Veggies get buffed and then nothing else happens. Be warned if you give my scrambler any advantages over the two most used races I will abuse that Wink

Precisely! Regarding Feedback being underpowered, prove them wrong necrocat! I'm losing my motivation to play league recently since apparently my team is weak Sad

RE: Game balancing - ImperialSun - 01-09-2013 06:04 AM

btw... anyone notice what thread number this is?

RE: Game balancing - lawtai - 01-09-2013 06:06 AM

1337!

RE: Game balancing - Necrocat219 - 01-09-2013 06:11 AM

I actually completely disagree with the Scrambler<Bombshell point put down on Peekaboo and Glitch. Especially glitch, thats pretty much my home map! The thing about feedback is they usually have a fast paced, use the smallest army possible win feel to them compared to the other three teams, which all need other units around in 'most' situations, so their wins are usually more short lived on avarage than the other teams which draw battles out more - I've had none of these 7 bombshell/double soldier wall games that people talk about.

RE: Game balancing - ImperialSun - 01-09-2013 06:17 AM

As a fellow Feedback player I disagree too (at least partially). My strongest maps are Glitch and Long Nine. Peekaboo is a tough one though.

As necrocat said, my games are usually very short. I either win or lose around turns 15-20. The average game length according to OSN for all teams across all maps is ~27. Consequently I haven't encountered more than 1 bombshell in any of my games.

RE: Game balancing - Gf!sh - 01-09-2013 06:32 AM

(01-09-2013 06:04 AM)ImperialSun Wrote:  btw... anyone notice what thread number this is?

(07-06-2012 05:05 AM)Kamikaze28 Wrote:  
(07-06-2012 04:47 AM)MrUseless Wrote:  
(07-06-2012 03:05 AM)Kamikaze28 Wrote:  
(07-06-2012 03:03 AM)MrUseless Wrote:  Keep in mind that I've only played a few games, so I still have much to learn. I've been beaten soundly by people who keep a healer next to a spawn tile, then increase each unit's HP before sending them out to do battle. Makes them MUCH more difficult to kill.

Yup, that's the basic use for the Medic. Advanced variations of this include protecting the Medic against a Runner-surprise-kill with 2 Soldiers/Heavies and occasionally bringing the Medic a few spaces to the front to heal a Heavy or Soldier who returned damaged from the front.

I'm sure this is a noob thing too, but it seems like my games go so fast there is little time to set up anything like you describe.

Yes, in the Fluffy leage, I suspect games will go pretty fast. Once you know how to neutralize an enemy offensive and not just blindly rush in response you will have time for these setups and then the positioning game begins.

Here's post 1337 if you want Wink

RE: Game balancing - burnodrod - 01-09-2013 09:40 AM

It seems to me that it's all about non-balanced maps (not non-balanced teams). Because if you beleive that one team is the strongest than take that team, what's the problem? That's really strange to hear that someone can choose a weak team because he likes how it looks. That's ridiculous Smile

But it's true, that maps are unbalanced and it's hard to fight against mobi on Reaper or against bombshell on SI. So, that would be fair to let people to choose a team after they get a map. Maps can still be random. I would choose different teams depending on the map. So let mobi fights mobi on Reaper, isn't it fair?

RE: Game balancing - connor34911 - 01-09-2013 10:09 AM

(01-09-2013 09:40 AM)burnodrod Wrote:  It seems to me that it's all about non-balanced maps (not non-balanced teams). Because if you beleive that one team is the strongest than take that team, what's the problem? That's really strange to hear that someone can choose a weak team because he likes how it looks. That's ridiculous Smile

But it's true, that maps are unbalanced and it's hard to fight against mobi on Reaper or against bombshell on SI. So, that would be fair to let people to choose a team after they get a map. Maps can still be random. I would choose different teams depending on the map. So let mobi fights mobi on Reaper, isn't it fair?

I like how it is. I like that you pick a team and are challenged to do well on any given map.

RE: Game balancing - ImperialSun - 01-09-2013 10:30 AM

I prefer random maps as it is. Maps probably should be tweaked though to make them more balanced. Only OML really knows which maps have matchup problems and with which races, though we can always speculate. It would be nice if OML could tell us the win/loss for each matchup on each map. With harti's map tool the community could then come up with ways to fix the problematic matchups.

RE: Game balancing - Harti - 01-10-2013 05:39 AM

We just received an update increasing Thorn patch health to 3 (maximum of 4). Aaaand Alvendor's pants just exploded.

I myself had not considered this an option before, thinking it was too broken. Thinking about it closer the Bramble is an expensive investment and would be able to build shields for your units that, all in all, may or may not make up for the 8 wit (build+move) cost. In this case it'll depend on your opponent having Snipers around.
Also it makes room for the interesting move to actually boost these Thorns with a Medic. Up until now that was a futile investment where you would lose both Thorn AND the Medic.

I'll keep you updated with further notes.