One Man Left Studios Community Forums
Tips for New Players - Printable Version

+- One Man Left Studios Community Forums (http://www.onemanleft.com/forums)
+-- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Outwitters (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+--- Thread: Tips for New Players (/showthread.php?tid=120)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18

RE: Tips for New Players - Go Time - 10-26-2012 04:09 PM

Great tips

RE: Tips for New Players - CombatEX - 10-29-2012 05:35 AM

"Your units can indeed move backwards. Taking a Soldier or Heavy back to heal it with a Medic might be advantageous to the alternative of building a new one and take 3 turns to move it across the map."

I'm not so sure about this one. I feel like this is the kind of thing a new player might do anyway (moving the medic all over the place to heal units) when actually it's often better to just let your 1 hp soldier die and make a new one instead of wasting wits running it back to your base or running your medic out to the soldier.

Also, is it possible to group these tips up in a nice way? By subject or something, there's a lot of good content in here but I feel like it's not a very friendly way of showing it to a new player. Wall of text =P I know it's not that easy which is why I didn't suggest how to group it, but it would just be nice if possible.

RE: Tips for New Players - garcia1000 - 10-29-2012 10:01 AM

Well, I think there are more situations where you'd move a unit back than where you'd spawn a Heavy. So that tip can stay

RE: Tips for New Players - Kamikaze28 - 10-29-2012 06:20 PM

(10-29-2012 05:35 AM)CombatEX Wrote:  "Your units can indeed move backwards. Taking a Soldier or Heavy back to heal it with a Medic might be advantageous to the alternative of building a new one and take 3 turns to move it across the map."

I'm not so sure about this one. I feel like this is the kind of thing a new player might do anyway (moving the medic all over the place to heal units) when actually it's often better to just let your 1 hp soldier die and make a new one instead of wasting wits running it back to your base or running your medic out to the soldier.

I can agree with you to some extent. New players (as far as I observed others and myself) tend to send units in the direction of their opponent's base without even considering moving them backwards in any situation. In short: new players tend to send their units on suicide missions. The tip in question is supposed to make them think about the option of a strategic retreat.

To the grouping of tips - if you read through the list you can actually see that they are grouped by topic and ordered by increasing level of difficulty. I could make these groups more prominent but some of them only contain 3-4 tips.

RE: Tips for New Players - wonderpug - 10-30-2012 01:08 AM

The strategic retreat -can- be a waste of wits (it could be more cost effective to just spawn a new one) but one big place it can give you an advantage is in unit count. If you're generally spawning one new unit each turn from your one spawn point, spending a turn also rescuing a unit is kinda sorta like being able to spawn two units that turn.

RE: Tips for New Players - Hellwalker - 11-01-2012 08:15 AM

hey, first of all, best IOS game i have played !

ok, is there a limit to how much time you have to make turn? I've got two games where I pretty much have won and opponent is not making any move for two days, I wonder if its some douchebag tactic to force winning player into abandoning game to seek more active games. or maybe they just are not playing anymore
So is there some time limit after which i win if they don't make turn? or at least dont loose game?

RE: Tips for New Players - GoHeat 3 - 11-01-2012 09:31 AM

(11-01-2012 08:15 AM)Hellwalker Wrote:  hey, first of all, best IOS game i have played !

ok, is there a limit to how much time you have to make turn? I've got two games where I pretty much have won and opponent is not making any move for two days, I wonder if its some douchebag tactic to force winning player into abandoning game to seek more active games. or maybe they just are not playing anymore
So is there some time limit after which i win if they don't make turn? or at least dont loose game?
If the player hasn't played in 4 days its an auto-loss for them. Sometimes it may take longer but it's just a bug!Smile

RE: Tips for New Players - Zguignou - 11-21-2012 10:44 AM

I will add, since it was really a game changing for me, the iPhone app quit method.
I was often turning my iPhone off and on to make outwitters work, but no need to do this.

All you have to do is:

- double click on the main button ( makes the running apps appear at the bottom)
- press and hold the outwitters icon
- a red " minus" sign should appear, click it . You just quit outwitters.
- relaunch it as usual.

RE: Tips for New Players - TheQwertiest - 11-24-2012 05:35 PM

i think we are gonna need some new tips with how greatly a game is affected by the +1 wit kill mechanic.
ill start with this. when youve finished making your plan on how to go about a turn, execute the kills on your plan first. this is so that you can claim the +1 wit from your kill or free attack. you can now use the extra remaining wit to move.
logic: if you move/position your unit/s first, the wits you used in moving/postioning other units will be wasted whereas you could have killed and done the moving and positioning at that turn.

if anyone can understand this. it would be great if you rephrase it to make it easier to understand. im not very good at explaining.
feel free to comment if this is the right thing to do. this is how i go about my turns and i would appreciate any corrections if its wrong

RE: Tips for New Players - Saren - 11-25-2012 09:20 AM

(11-24-2012 05:35 PM)TheQwertiest Wrote:  i think we are gonna need some new tips with how greatly a game is affected by the +1 wit kill mechanic.
ill start with this. when youve finished making your plan on how to go about a turn, execute the kills on your plan first. this is so that you can claim the +1 wit from your kill or free attack. you can now use the extra remaining wit to move.

I understand you perfectly and this is great advice, and I think it should be added. I can't tell you how many times I have made this mistake simply because I am not used to the new system yet. I find myself using my last wit to move my piece next to an enemy unit I could kill with one hit, only to not have the wit to do it because I moved other pieces around first Undecided.

I also feel like this thread needs some updating for the new system and for tips for using and fighting the bramble, but I don't exactly know what else needs to be added, so I'm not much help.